PDA

View Full Version : Bear Proof Food! HELP!

dixiehiker
01-25-2006, 23:00
Hi! I was wondering what is the best way to pack a day hike picnic and not have to worry about bears? I often only pack a small snack, because I've always been afraid of the food scent attracting bears. What if I wanted to pack, just say 2 or 3 sandwhiches, chips, a couple of cokes, and something sweet. What is the best thing to pack it in to begin with, and then WHAT keeps the scent from being on you and your pack once you've OPENED the sandwhiches, chips bag, coke cans, and so forth. I want to enjoy day hike picnics, but I just have a fear of bears, although I know they are GENEARLLY docile! I still don't want one even curious following after me! Thanks!
-dixiehiker:confused:

digger51
01-25-2006, 23:23
Put them all inside ziplock bags, then in a gallon size and no smell should get out. But in all the time i've been hiking along the trail in the south I have never had any trouble with a bear. They are more afraid of you than you are of them.

freefall
01-25-2006, 23:33
Put them all inside ziplock bags, then in a gallon size and no smell should get out. But in all the time i've been hiking along the trail in the south I have never had any trouble with a bear. They are more afraid of you than you are of them.

I agree. I have done many day hikes in SMNP and SNP where the bears are used to people. I always carry food, sometimes just a snack, sometimes more. I have never had a bear bother me, even after spotting them.

fiddlehead
01-25-2006, 23:44
Just keep your food with you, the bears won't fight you for it, but if you leave it sitting around (even in ziplocks) they will take it and then they consider it theirs and WILL fight you for it.
Bears can even smell thru closed jars!

sarbar
01-26-2006, 00:59
First off, don't worry so much. Most bears are active at night if they want human food. Second, unless you leave your pack unattended, you shouldn't be bothered. I carry the smelliest food dayhiking-loaves of bread, cheese, chicken salad, curry dishes....more worried about squirrels! They will climb on you when you are eating!
I carry my food in gallon ziploc's to make sure I don't get food smeared on my daypack, but otherwise I don't worry (and I am anal about food when I backpack)
The only other advice I can give you is don't eat in established campsites-future backpackers will thank you for doing that!