PDA

View Full Version : buying a pack without trying on????

THEDON
03-28-2017, 06:10
How do you try out a back pack from a maker if they aren't available in stores? ie-- zpacks.
Do you just decide that's what you want and go for it? I have the Atmos 65 and when I bought, I brought all my stuff to rei and loaded packs until I found one I felt good about. Now thinking I can go much lighter but throwing dollars at something you are buying blind concerns me. How did you guys do it?

Stone1984
03-28-2017, 06:19
Tagging this thread, also a concern of mine.

FiftyNine
03-28-2017, 06:45
I had the same concerns, I know zpack has pretty good instructions on how to measure and will exchange it if you need to change sizes. I was on the border between a medium and large. Ended up getting the medium because it was in the bargain bin and saved me a few dollars. Seems to work for me so far. There are lots of adjustments that you can tweak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

egilbe
03-28-2017, 07:13
I spent a lot of time trying on packs in stores, ended up not buying any of them. I ended up buying all my packs online, but only if they had a lot of room for adjustments. I'm 6'3" . Most packs arent sized for tall people. They are sized for midgets.

Stone1984
03-28-2017, 07:15
I spent a lot of time trying on packs in stores, ended up not buying any of them. I ended up buying all my packs online, but only if they had a lot of room for adjustments. I'm 6'3" . Most packs arent sized for tall people. They are sized for midgets.

Im a midget, that should bode well for me.

Francis Sawyer
03-28-2017, 08:27
I'm a midget and I'm offended. Lol. It's like clothing. Sometimes you can get away without trying it on . You can always return it .

John M
03-28-2017, 08:36
Pick the ones you want and then contact the manufacturers to discuss. They'll usually be very helpful. Then order your top choice or maybe top 2. Try them on around the house and see how they feel. Then either keep or send them back. Worst case you're out return shipping which isn't usually any more expensive than gas back and forth to REI. An alternative is to keep an eye out for good deals on used packs. Try them out and if they don't work, turn around and sell them.

DuneElliot
03-28-2017, 08:41
The benefit of cottage manufacturers is that they all have a really great return policy and a 2lb pack isn't particularly expensive to ship back if necessary...just the cost of trying quality.

I bought a ZPacks Arc Haul without really trying any other pack...now all others feel weird and I love my Arc Haul. I did so much research and read so many reviews on it though and didn't find a single person who disliked it for the fit so I jumped in feet first. It was actually my first backpack since I was a kid...I really dived into the deep end with my first gear!

Water Rat
03-28-2017, 09:33
How do you try out a back pack from a maker if they aren't available in stores? ie-- zpacks.
Do you just decide that's what you want and go for it? I have the Atmos 65 and when I bought, I brought all my stuff to rei and loaded packs until I found one I felt good about. Now thinking I can go much lighter but throwing dollars at something you are buying blind concerns me. How did you guys do it?

I personally researched as much as I possibly could on the internet and was then lucky enough to have a friend who let me try out some ZPacks options.

You might consider heading to Trail Days, in May, in Damascus. A lot of cottage industry vendors (ZPacks included) will be there and will have samples.

TTT
03-28-2017, 10:03
I bought a zpaks without measuring myself. I'm 6 ft. It fits comfortably on my hip and I can grab a water bottle from the pouch without missing a beat. When it arrived it took a few adjustments and a couple of swear words. Really easy to operate. I later reordered a front and shoulder pouch with a few other things I may or may not use. My motivation in choosing a pack is weight and comfort, and crossing my fingers that it all comes together

dwcoyote
03-28-2017, 10:12
If you can afford to, order a couple different packs that you are interested in at the same time. I ordered two different style packs from Granite Gear (was looking at also ordering the ULA Circuit but didn't). I was able to load my gear in one of the packs, tried it on, then walked about 15 minutes on the treadmill (it was 20 below zero outside) then switched my gear to the other pack and did the same thing. I immediately knew which pack felt since this all happened within the same hour. Guess you could also try this if you are in between sizes.

chknfngrs
03-28-2017, 10:19
I blind-ordered an MLD Core based on the sizing they published and was 100% accurate when my pack arrived.

MtDoraDave
03-29-2017, 07:20
I bought a Jansport Katahdin 60 online because it was on sale for $60. An impulse buy, because the pack I had been using was a huge and heavy (9 lbs) military surplus pack.
I'm an average height of 5' 10 1/2" and the pack fits very well and is comfortable.

The main drawback to that particular pack is that the waist straps don't hold their adjustment, so frequent readjustment as I hike is necessary.

If you are a seasoned backpacker, I imagine getting one with the perfect fit may be more of an issue because you know exactly how you like a pack to fit. I'm extremely selective about shoe fittment, but pack fittment isn't such an issue for me... heck, I bought (from a neighbor) an old REI Mars for it's large size for my winter hiking needs and it is downright uncomfortable - but after a few days on the trail I get used to it.

Maineiac64
03-29-2017, 07:35
I went from atmos 65 to arc haul zip. Love it. I e-mailed them my measurements and how I had the AG 65 set up and they told me what to get. I would've been off had I not done that.

JPritch
03-29-2017, 09:05
I bought my Crown VC blind from an online retailer that had it on sale. Took measurements according to the mfr. site and ordered the appropriate size.

Worked out good!

la.lindsey
03-29-2017, 10:32
I read a ton of reviews online to confirm my decision that the most beautiful pack in the world was the right choice, then tried to measure myself. Didn't work, returned the pack. Got what I thought was the right size. Probably should have returned that one, but it works pretty darn well, so I'm sticking with it (it's 98% comfortable, but if I'd been a slightly more patient person I'd have tried one more size). I'm likely right between sizes, as I am in most things.

Just...do it? I don't know, don't you ever order shoes online? Or jeans? You order them and if it doesn't work you return it. Check the return policy first though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
03-29-2017, 11:28
Good thread. I see boatloads of threads every year about buying packs and someone always posts the conventional wisdom that you should have your pack fitted by a pro at an outfitter. While this is not a bad idea per se, I like to point out that if one follows this advice rigidly, they remove from consideration cottage companies that make innovative and often superior products. ULA and Z-Packs are probably the most recommended packs you will see discussed here, but I personally have never seen one in a store. Is it really a good idea to remove from consideration the pack that may be your best option? As such, the conventional wisdom maybe isn't so wise.

As already pointed out, by reading lots of reviews, having your gear sorted out so you know what volume pack you need, measuring your torso so you know what size pack you need, assessing your hiking style so you know what kind of pack you need, calling the companies and talking to the owners/makers (something you can't do with the big brands), and utilizing their good customer service to return a pack that doesn't work, you can do just fine. Also keep in mind that quality gear keeps its value well, so even if after a few hikes you decide you need to change, you will be able to sell your pack for most of what you paid and you won't be out big bucks. As for myself, after using all of the above strategies, I ended up buying an Elemental Horizons Kalais pack and couldn't be happier. Check them out too.

Gambit McCrae
03-29-2017, 11:34
I chose the brand I wanted because all the really cool people on the trail used that pack. Size I ordered didn't fit at all so I returned it and tried again. Got that pack and it fit pretty well but needed some adjustments so I sent it back, they modified it and got 33% of the changes correct and meh I live with it.

peakbagger
03-29-2017, 11:44
I bought a ULA several years ago without trying one and was happy with the results. I think they would have gladly exchanged it if I tried it on at home and it didn't fit. I expect someone would be abusing their good will if they bought it, used it on trip and then expected an exchange.

Venchka
03-29-2017, 12:05
I'm batting 0.500. 2 for 4.
1. REI. External frame with full length bag. Just like Big Jim Whitaker used on Everest. The thing tried to cripple me on an overnight trip. Sold it.
2. Rivendel Mountainworks 63 liter Jensen Pack. Built by the Hippies in Victor, ID. Still have it. Plan to use it in Wyoming this summer.
3. Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane. Made in Bozeman. Still have it. I'll use it as needed.
4. Boreas Gear 60 liter Lost Coast. Worst designed and worst fitting pack that I have ever had the misfortune of buying. I put it back in the box 1 hour after I opened the box.
I hesitate to order any more packs without fitting first.
Wayne

FeistyNZChick
03-29-2017, 12:43

I was worried about this especially buying from Australia! But I measured up accurately (got someone else to measure me for accuracy) followed all the Zpacks suggestions on fitting and as mentioned below you can make adjustments in many places for a great fit. I've had no issues.

Old Hiker
03-29-2017, 13:13

Politically correct term for us taller folk is "genetically superior". Thank you very much.

Online for me - Amazon with Prime and free returns worked pretty well. My Osprey Volt 75 was almost perfect out of the box. Bought a second one as a back-up, just in case.

I hesitate to use the "cottage" industries as I don't want THEM to have to deal with MY screw-ups. I may look into a lighter pack for my next attempt, though, if I talk with the maker and they are agreeable to the return of something that is NOT special order.

P.S. My wife is 5'2" and will take care of my first snarky comment for all ya'll.

yaduck9
03-29-2017, 13:56
Pick the ones you want and then contact the manufacturers to discuss. They'll usually be very helpful. Then order your top choice or maybe top 2. Try them on around the house and see how they feel. Then either keep or send them back. Worst case you're out return shipping which isn't usually any more expensive than gas back and forth to REI. An alternative is to keep an eye out for good deals on used packs. Try them out and if they don't work, turn around and sell them.

+1

Went through this route, myself.
Ordered through the mail, tried and then returned.
Kept my eye on ebay for new but old stock, Went through 2 more packs.
After all said and done: Sold my old pack on ebay and upgraded to a newer version that weighed 10 oz less for about 20 dollars more.
The downside is that it takes up time, some luck is involved, and you have to be patient.

evyck da fleet
03-29-2017, 14:23
I replaced my osprey 65l with a ULA ohm. Read reviews and listened to comments about whether their online measurements were accurate. Rarely heard a complaint so I ordered one and haven't had a problem with the fit. Now user error by the guy wearing the pack is a different story.

Feral Bill
03-29-2017, 14:29
I bought a Granite Gear Lutzen 55 on sale from REI. I depended on it's adjustability and REI's return policy. I was able to adjust it to fit very well around the house. Time will tell how it goes in the field.

JPritch
03-29-2017, 14:43
One thing to add....don't make a final decision on a pack until you have it loaded with your gear or at least some comparable weight. Empty, my Crown VC's shoulder straps were rubbing my neck. Uh oh. But then I put some weight in it and the pack settled onto my shoulders and body better and it fits really well. Just something to keep in mind.

gbolt
03-29-2017, 20:02
I watched a lot of videos on how to size a back pack on YouTube. I then took all my stuff and went to an Outfitter to try the Osprey Exos. They measure, I packed it and then tried it on. I was impressed and had them write down the measurements, telling them that I was considering it (which I was). The Osprey was one of my top three choices but I truly wanted to give a ULA OHm 2.0 a try. Watched more video's specific to the ULA's and found one that also showed how to size the pack. Took measurements (got the same result as the Osprey I tried on) and ordered the ULA. It fit like a glove and I have never looked back.

ImAfraidOfBears
03-29-2017, 20:10
Amen, im the same height, I went through gossamer packs and ULA packs before i finally found a size that would fit right at HMG. Seems the 'large' that gossamer and ULA sells aren't that large.

egilbe
03-29-2017, 20:34
HMG is two blocks from my house. If I had known they were there when I was in my pack buying phase, I would have bought one of theirs. They had a pile of packs, in different sizes, stuffed with scrap material to fill the pack, to try on. They fit pretty well. The owner, Mike St. Pierre, is a little guy. I looked at some prototype rain gear he was testing and it was all in his size. I keep thinking whenI get tired of the job I have now, I may walk down there and look for a job. I felt like a kid in a candy store, or Disney world, walking around the factory.

Longboysfan
03-30-2017, 10:28

Same here tried store packs at REI.
What are they crazy. Oh... Here's a pack everyone on the trail is using.... It was 6 lbs empty.

I went on line and bought a ULA Circuit. Great size and empty weight.

Farr Away
03-30-2017, 12:22
Good thread. I see boatloads of threads every year about buying packs and someone always posts the conventional wisdom that you should have your pack fitted by a pro at an outfitter. While this is not a bad idea per se, I like to point out that if one follows this advice rigidly, they remove from consideration cottage companies that make innovative and often superior products. ULA and Z-Packs are probably the most recommended packs you will see discussed here, but I personally have never seen one in a store. Is it really a good idea to remove from consideration the pack that may be your best option? As such, the conventional wisdom maybe isn't so wise.

When I first started, I went to an outfitters. The guy who measured me said I was an extra-small. Now I don't know if he was just not very good at it, or if I wear my pack wrong, but the pack that felt right was a medium, and that's the one I'm still using. YMMV.

-FA