PDA

View Full Version : Family Drive-in in Shanandoa

Cedar1974
03-28-2017, 06:13
I'm just curious, is this place close enough to the trail that I might want to try going here? I think it would make for an interesting rest stop on my hike, assuming it is still there when I get a chance to do it.

Don H
03-28-2017, 06:40
The town of Waynesboro is very near the south entrance of Shenandoah NP and Front Royal is near the northern end. The Blue Ridge Parkway follows along the trail and crosses the AT many times so there's plenty of places to access the trail within the park.

I suggest you get a copy of one of the trail books such as Whiteblaze Trail Guide or The AT Guide for planning your trip.

CRC
03-28-2017, 10:55
The Family Drive-In in Stephens City VA was my go-to date night way back in the 70's! If that is the place you are asking about, it is a bit of a trek from the nearest trail town of Front Royal VA (about 15-16 miles)
By the way, this is my first post.....I am a very new backpacker so there is not much I can add to this forum but I love reading all of the information. I will now go back to lurking :)

gpburdelljr
03-28-2017, 11:00
The Family Drive-In in Stephens City VA was my go-to date night way back in the 70's! If that is the place you are asking about, it is a bit of a trek from the nearest trail town of Front Royal VA (about 15-16 miles)
By the way, this is my first post.....I am a very new backpacker so there is not much I can add to this forum but I love reading all of the information. I will now go back to lurking :)

This is their website:
http://www.thefamilydriveintheatre.com/id77.html

bayview
03-29-2017, 14:33
There is also an old Drive In in the town of Lexington, VA. It is the only public/city owned drive-in in the nation. Pretty cool place. I know it is a good distance from the trail, but the brewery that supports the trail, Devils Backbone (I think) is also in the neighborhood.

johnnybgood
03-29-2017, 22:02
I'm just curious, is this place close enough to the trail that I might want to try going here? I think it would make for an interesting rest stop on my hike, assuming it is still there when I get a chance to do it.
I'm confused by this post mainly because there is no drive-in near Shenandoah ?(town , county or National Park). There's a family drive-in in Stephen's City which is a shuttle drive of 30+ minutes from the AT. There's also one in Lexington, again a drive from the closest trailhead.
Not sure what you mean either by a " interesting resting stop on my hike". Hypothetically speaking of course, this could be a cool diversion of > mile hike off the AT for hikers to eat greasy burgers and salty fries while taking in a movie.

Cedar1974
03-31-2017, 05:19
I'm confused by this post mainly because there is no drive-in near Shenandoah ?(town , county or National Park). There's a family drive-in in Stephen's City which is a shuttle drive of 30+ minutes from the AT. There's also one in Lexington, again a drive from the closest trailhead.
Not sure what you mean either by a " interesting resting stop on my hike". Hypothetically speaking of course, this could be a cool diversion of > mile hike off the AT for hikers to eat greasy burgers and salty fries while taking in a movie.

Well, I saw something about this place in a YouTube video about how Drive-ins are slowly dying out. They said the Family Drive-in was in Shenandoah, so I was going by the info they gave me. But I may try and hit one of these two places if they are still open when I finally get to hit the trail if they are still open. I'd make it a Zero day of course so I can enjoy myself.

Deacon
03-31-2017, 06:18

CRC - Welcome to Whiteblaze!

CRC
03-31-2017, 11:23
Thank you, I am glad I found this site!

johnnybgood
03-31-2017, 11:59
Well, I saw something about this place in a YouTube video about how Drive-ins are slowly dying out. They said the Family Drive-in was in Shenandoah, so I was going by the info they gave me.
They may have meant the Shenandoah Valley which does include the area north to Winchester.
Stephens City Family Drive-thru is on Rt.11. and is easily accessible from I-81.

bcarter143
04-01-2017, 22:05
The town of Waynesboro is very near the south entrance of Shenandoah NP and Front Royal is near the northern end. The Blue Ridge Parkway follows along the trail and crosses the AT many times so there's plenty of places to access the trail within the park.

I suggest you get a copy of one of the trail books such as Whiteblaze Trail Guide or The AT Guide for planning your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro