PDA

View Full Version : SOBOs: Starting point?

lumberjaime
03-28-2017, 10:50
I've obtained my LD permit, which has me starting at the Canadian Border on the 18th. The original plan is to start at Hart's Pass very early on the 17th to access the border, and just do the backtrack.

It sounds like there are two main alternative starting points for SOBO given that we can't start via the Manning Park trailhead. Drive through Canada to access Hozomeen Campground at the north end of Ross Lake, then hike to the PCT at Castle Pass, OR take the resort water taxi from Diablo up to Devil's Junction and hike from there.

I'm just curious if past SOBOs can offer experience on pros/cons of these options. For me, the Hart's Pass backtrack is logistically the easiest since it requires no border crossing, no $100+ boat ride, and I can get a ride from family in Bellingham. But, I would love to take the opportunity to see some "off-trail" sights while I have the time. Should I more seriously consider one of the alternates?

Final question: Is it reasonable for me to expect to cover the distance from any of those trailheads to the border in 1.5-2 days? Obviously the progress of snow-melt will be a factor...

Spirit Walker
03-28-2017, 14:53
We hiked out and back from Harts Pass a couple of years ago. We made a loop, starting on the PCT then walking horse trails through the Pasaytan Wilderness back to Harts Pass. (Very muddy). The distance was about the same along the River, but it allowed us to avoid doing a bad washed out scree section on the PCT twice. (Our dog had a really hard time there.) It's about 30 miles from Harts Pass to the border, so it should be doable in 1.5-2 days, even with snow. The road to Harts Pass was slow and winding, not one you want to meet anyone going the other way.

lumberjaime
03-30-2017, 10:26
Thanks Spirit Walker, very helpful! I think I've heard of this washout, is it the one by Woody Pass? Would you recommend taking the pack trail detour?

srvand02
03-30-2017, 11:45
I was going to try something a little different, knowing that Ill be bringing a pack full of food from home.

I was thinking of starting from Rainy Pass and hiking north to the border which should take me 2-4 days depending on snow depth. Once I hit the border I was thinking of hiking to Hart's Pass and either continue hiking to Mazama or, if luck will have it, hitching to Mazama, where Ill be able to resupply (maybe stay the night weather depending) and then hitch back to Rainy Pass and start South. Has anyone ever gone this way?

gwschenk
04-01-2017, 11:32
We crossed the washout by Woody Pass in 2013 and it was really not an issue. That was without snow. The scenery between Hart's Pass and the border is so spectacular, doing it twice wouldn't be so bad. We saw quite a few thrus headed back to Hart's Pass as they couldn't get a permit to enter Canada. DUIs or something.