PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of buying the Marmot Knife's Edge jacket

Ground Control
03-28-2017, 12:15
Any better suggestions? Im in CO where I hike, but also enjoy the Southern AT.

like this:
http://https://www.rei.com/product/111873/marmot-knife-edge-rain-jacket-mens

Currently, my arsenal of waterproof jackets includes:
a Gortex North Face ski- jacket (too much loft)
a patagonia lightweight pullover with no venting
a lightweight, breathable, packable rain jacket from Costco "Paramax brand" that is good for summer, but not for wind.

I'm open ears to other suggested jackets to fill this void in my gear collection.

Thanks in advance.

(https://www.rei.com/product/111873/marmot-knife-edge-rain-jacket-mens)

nsherry61
03-28-2017, 14:51
Why? Why do you want to be talked out of it?

You can survive with what you have, so why spend more money on more gear that will eventually either wear out or get outdated?

It's too heavy, by a factor of 2, to be a truly ultralight rain jacket, and you already have a heavy rain jacket so why not spend less money on a lighter jacket like maybe an Outdoor Research Helium II, or any of the other similar jackets on the market.

A poncho vents better and can double as a shelter for less money and less weight.

It only comes in boring and ugly colors?

You are an environmentalist and you refuse to wear a jacket, even though it's not real fur, symbolic of a cute furry animal that has fur?

ggreaves
03-28-2017, 15:17
Just because you asked to be talked out of it...

Get a chrome dome Flexlite umbrella (euroschirm, gossamer gear) and a rain kilt from zpacks or ula (cheaper). You'll hike much cooler because you can open and vent whatever jacket you're wearing and the skirt keeps your legs dry and everything stays cool. When its sunny out, you can hike with the umbrella and create a nice shaded cooler microclimate. It's a morale thing I think. The umbrella keeps your torso from wetting out and since you don't have to wear a hood and you can zip down the jacket a bit, you'll be very comfortable. Of course, for extended rain, I just set up my tarp, hang the hammock and wait it out while the rain and wind rock me to sleep.

Ground Control
03-28-2017, 15:32
The outdoor research helium II appears to perform the same function as the lightweight Paramax rainjacket from Costco - good for late Spring & Summer, but not windproof, and prone to a soak-through.

Plus, the Marmot Knife's Edge is only an ounce heavier. I believe it will be more suitable for Colorado wind conditions.

I hate to use up my large box retailer dividend on this, but with 20% off, I think I can get the Marmot Knife's Edhe for $180.

--

The flexlite umbrella & kilt sound pretty nifty, but maybe not my style for everyday hiking. Interesting to consider, though.

Thanks for any and all other suggestions, reviews, or alternatives.

nsherry61
03-28-2017, 15:46
The outdoor research helium II appears . . . good for late Spring & Summer, but not windproof, and prone to a soak-through.
Plus, the Marmot Knife's Edge is only an ounce heavier. . .

Better read your specs a bit more carefully. The OR Helium II is 6.4 oz vs 11.5 oz, and it is completely waterproof and windproof.
That being said, there are several ultralight rain jackets along the lines of the Helium II if ultralight is what you are after.

If you're trying to spend your REI coupon, and you like Marmot, there is also the Marmot Mica jacket on the REI garage site for even less money and only 7 oz.

TTT
03-28-2017, 15:56
I can't think of any reason not to get it, so go for it!

Hikingjim
03-28-2017, 16:34
$225 for yet another jacket where "venting" isn't going to do much because the material is damn hot.

I wear my cheap columbia rain jacket as an outer in the winter or if it's cold in fringe season, and it works fine. For warmer I just bring my frogg toggs because it's light and I don't use it while moving much

$65 total for them both.

There may be reasons to get the jacket, but I'm providing the requested counter-argument.

Hikingjim
03-28-2017, 16:36
this thing peaked my interest a bit. More breathable, in theory
Don't know anyone that has used it though.

https://sierradesigns.com/ultralight-trench/