PDA

View Full Version : Virginia on May 1

Ethesis
03-28-2017, 15:27
Wondering how crowded northern Virginia will be on May 1 this year.

Hikingjim
03-28-2017, 16:10
Wondering how crowded northern Virginia will be on May 1 this year.

Not that many thru-hikers up at shenandoah or waynesboro area at that point, but there are some. I found they were more serious hikers though, since they made it 800+ miles by the end of April. ie: not a big party crowd

Popular areas would have weekenders and section hikers because it's a nice time to hike there

May 1 is a monday, so you're avoiding one weekend at least!

I hiked south from Waynesboro last year on May 1, and I probably passed an average of 10 people a day, plus day hikers at certain peaks

Ethesis
03-28-2017, 16:47
Sounds perfect v

Slo-go'en
03-28-2017, 17:27
Depends a lot on which way your going and how long you will be out. Northern VA implies the SNP and since that's a national park, lots of activity there where there would be little outside the park. If you heading south into central VA and are out for more then 2 weeks, when Trail Days lets out after the 2nd weekend in May, all of a sudden there will be lots of hikers everywhere. They tend to bunch up and many skip ahead when they can score a ride farther north. That was my experience when I went SOBO from Harpers Ferry on May 1st a couple of years ago. If your heading north into MD and PA, you should be able to stay ahead of most of them.

Ethesis
03-28-2017, 20:58
Harpers Ferry to Luray Virginia is my route.

Slo-go'en
03-28-2017, 21:45
Harpers Ferry to Luray Virginia is my route.

That should be pretty quiet. A few of the faster thru hikers will be passing you by, but that's it. It might be a little busier once you get into the park, but shouldn't be too bad. Take it slow through the "roller coaster". Break it up by staying at the Bear's Den hostel.

Just before you get to the Bears den hostel, you cross a 4 lane, divided highway. To your right will be road which heads down hill. About 1/4 mile down that road is a neat little bar and grill. Horseshoe curve bar or something like that. Good place to have dinner before heading for the hostel, which is about 3/4 a mile farther up the trail after crossing the highway.

Ethesis
03-29-2017, 10:06
That should be pretty quiet. A few of the faster thru hikers will be passing you by, but that's it. It might be a little busier once you get into the park, but shouldn't be too bad. Take it slow through the "roller coaster". Break it up by staying at the Bear's Den hostel.

Just before you get to the Bears den hostel, you cross a 4 lane, divided highway. To your right will be road which heads down hill. About 1/4 mile down that road is a neat little bar and grill. Horseshoe curve bar or something like that. Good place to have dinner before heading for the hostel, which is about 3/4 a mile farther up the trail after crossing the highway.

Thanks. That will be a great place to take my wife for a surprise dinner. :)

We are hiking this section together.