PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Camp Unatteded

jboggg
03-28-2017, 22:46
So recently I have begun combining backpacking and hunting. I live in North GA and hunt a lot of the Chattahoochee NF that I access from the AT. I am planning on camping/hunting along the AT this weekend. To be clear, while I will camp along the trail, I will hike at least half a mile off of the trail to my hunting area. I am a little concerned about leaving my gear unattended for 8 - 10 hours at a time. I will be camped at least two miles from the nearest road crossing. I even thought about leaving a note telling passerbys that the camp is not abandoned, but then reconsidered thinking that I would be broadcasting to anyone and everyone passing by that my camp would be Unatteded for an extended period. I hope I am worrying about nothing, but curious if any other members have a shared experience from something similar.

coach lou
03-28-2017, 22:50
If you were camped, let's say.....200 feet from the trail or water source, no one would even know you were there!;)

rocketsocks
03-28-2017, 23:15
Why do you have to leave your gear unattended if you're back packing? Take it with ya.

Hikingjim
03-28-2017, 23:20
hikers will know it's not abandoned.

You could minimize risk by bringing a bit older gear and taking your valuables. If you leave behind a tent, sleeping bag, mat, etc, then I wouldn't worry that much unless you're leaving top of the line gear

I have left my gear at base camps canoeing and hiking before. A slight risk, but part of the game for me

Hikingjim
03-28-2017, 23:21
Break out the walmart 29.99 tent, see who is desperate enough to swipe that!

jboggg
03-29-2017, 00:03
Thanks for the responses. I agree with getting several hundred feet off of the trail. Seeing that it always seems to be windy this time of year it makes a lot of sense to bail off one side or the other. I use a Warbonnet hammock so a level site is nice, but not mandatory.

BuckeyeBill
03-29-2017, 00:37
I agree with Hiking Jim that other hikers probably won't bother your stuff. I would add that hanging your food bag would be a good idea. If you are still worried, you can pickup a PacSafe Security Web (https://www.rei.com/product/709208/pacsafe-85-security-web-medium). It weighs 20.4 ounces which may turn people off but once you pull it over your pack, there is enough cable to run around a small but sturdy tree. You can also use it when hiking and the store or restaurant you are going into won't let packs inside or only inside but no further than by the front door. I am a retired law enforcement officer/state agent and I don't trust many people especially in ares far from home. Have a great weekend of hunting.

ScareBear
03-29-2017, 08:59
Carry your gear with you unless you are base camping. Or, go a hundred yards off the trail and hang your entire pack. Nobody will ever find it or even see it. Nobody but a hunter is going more than a hundred FEET off the AT unless there is a blue blaze...

Patriot76
03-29-2017, 09:14
Personally I would backpack to my hunting area. Camping down wind of the dominate wind direction would allow you to start hunting right out of camp. I always enjoyed the opportunity to hunt all the way back to camp at sundown. Take a survival pack while hunting in case you get turned around, cannot find camp, or get hurt. My personal survival kit in a water proof bag hung around my neck includes shelter, fire starting materials, and snacks. I have done this many times in the Rockies of Colorado, the Big Horns of Wyoming, and the Black Hills of South Dakota.

jboggg
03-29-2017, 09:54
Good suggestions! My pack will be with me while I am hunting as it also doubles as a meat pack since dragging a large critter out of those hills solo is out of the question. I won,t be leaving a lot of gear at camp, but I did spend a pretty penny a few years back on my hammock, tarp, underquilt and top quilt. These would be the main items of value left behind while I am away hunting. As suggested, I agree that getting off of the trail a little ways is the answer.

Tennessee Viking
03-29-2017, 11:47
There are even douchebag hikers who will steal unattended gear. Rare but still may happen.

Either scout head of your attended hunting area for flat areas or old road beads for stealth sites. Or break camp during your hunts and stash it well away from trail view. If anything go with hammocking to be more mobile.

CHILL_TX
03-29-2017, 11:48
I do it all the time.

soilman
03-29-2017, 12:06
I have been on trail crews probably 20 times and most times we camp along the trail, but usually out of sight. Many times our work site is some distance from camp. We have never had any problems. If our camp site has ever been discovered perhaps the sight of 10 to 15 tents and a big tarp deter any temptation to do anything.