PDA

View Full Version : Packing for Greyson Highlands in May

FooFooCuddlyPoops
03-29-2017, 12:30
Hey guys.

I am hiking a short section during trail days at the GH of va. I was wondering what degree TQ I should bring?

I have the option of a 20o or a 40o. I was going to just wait until the last moment to see what the weather plays but figured I would ask here since the weather does change at the top and may not be what the weather portrays on the local weather channel.

Also. with the latest warm weather, I am curious to see if it's going to be super warm.

My guess: It's going to be in the seventies and raining for my entire trip. https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/banana.gifhttps://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif

Gambit McCrae
03-29-2017, 12:35
Youll be fine with the 40. May is shorts and tshirt hiking weather, and I am keeping my tent flaps open by that time of year. This years weather has been funny so yes it could be warmer then usual

Dan Roper
03-29-2017, 13:57
On Mother's Day weekend 1992, the southern Appalachians, as far down as Georgia, experienced a big snowstorm. That's kind of thing doesn't happen often, but you can't completely dismiss the occasional oddity. Seriously check out the long-range weather forecast starting about a week before your trip. Usually any real anomalies will come to light, so that you'll be able to adjust your gear.

bigcranky
03-29-2017, 14:07
I'd look at the forecast right before I left. Yeah, May is generally wonderful for weather, but it can get cold at night on occasion.

Ranc0r
03-29-2017, 14:12
What's your UQ rating? I've found I can go a lot colder than my TQ is rated if my UQ is up to the challenge and everything is adjusted and no gaps. Similarly, if your UQ isn't rated for the conditions, or is a partial length, you may need a more comprehensive strategy than simply which top quilt to bring.

Siestita
03-29-2017, 15:27
I thought I understood backpacker slang prior to reading this thread.

What do TQ, UQ, 20o and 40o mean?

illabelle
03-29-2017, 15:48
I thought I understood backpacker slang prior to reading this thread.

What do TQ, UQ, 20o and 40o mean?

I'm not a hammocker, but pretty sure it's top quilt, under quilt, 20 degrees, 40 degrees.
:)

4eyedbuzzard
03-29-2017, 21:49
On Mother's Day weekend 1992, the southern Appalachians, as far down as Georgia, experienced a big snowstorm. That's kind of thing doesn't happen often, but you can't completely dismiss the occasional oddity. Seriously check out the long-range weather forecast starting about a week before your trip. Usually any real anomalies will come to light, so that you'll be able to adjust your gear.
^^^THIS^^^
The record lows in that general area (Burkes Garden, VA 3300' ASL, about 70 miles north) during May is 19°, during June is 26°. Banner Elk, NC (about 100 miles south at 3748' ASL) data is maybe a degree or two warmer. For Burkes Garden, the median (as many above as below) low on any single day during the month over the last 30 years in May is 23°, in June 29°. So you should expect to encounter temps for at least one night sometime during the month in the mid to high 20° range. Over the last 10 years, the median is a few degrees higher, but still likely only in the high 20°'s for mid May. Average overnight lows for May are mid 40°'s, and low 50°'s for June. Average temps can be deceiving for planning purposes though, as temps on any given day (coldest or hottest day of the month) can differ by 20° or more from the average low and high. As trail days is toward the middle to end of the month, you will likely see something in between the May and June numbers. Given the generally warmer trend over the last few decades (by a few degrees), I'd probably take gear good enough for a few 30° nights.

Here's the raw data:
http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_BurkesGarden_BurkesGarden_VA_May.h tml
http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_BurkesGarden_BurkesGarden_VA_June. html

As noted in Dan Roper's post, the best bet is to check out the latest forecast for the area, factor in elevation difference from the forecasting station (-3.5° per +1000' of elevation difference), and plan accordingly.

scrabbler
03-29-2017, 22:12
Bring the 20 and hang a leg out if you're hot.