PDA

View Full Version : You have from 5/15 to 7/15 free for hiking. Where do you go?

Hosaphone
03-30-2017, 13:47
I've been dreaming about an AT hike for a long time, but it's looking like an end-to-end thru might just not be in the cards. How best to use this summer, then? I have a fair amount of experience with short backpacking trips but this would be my first time out for more than a week. Options I have been considering:

Start at Springer and see how far I get, come back and finish some other time.
Start in CT or PA and go to Katahdin (kind of feels like cheating, but after 500 miles I think I'll feel like I earned it well enough).
Long Trail thru.
Long section of the PCT.

What say you, WhiteBlazers?

Lyle
03-30-2017, 14:22
I would definitely start at Springer and head north. May is a very pleasant time in the south, and would put you in the Roan Mountain area during the blooming of the Rhododendron and Flame Azaleas - BEAUTIFUL!

I would look into the Colorado Trail, though that may be too early of time frame.

Kinda early for the High Sierras as well, unless you like deep snow hiking.

Kinda early for the Long Trail as well, black flies and mud.

Personally, my choice would be number one. Springer north - near perfect time for this section.

bigcranky
03-30-2017, 14:31
Springer northbound, great time of year to be on the trail. Cool nights, warm days, not too hot yet.

Venchka
03-30-2017, 14:38
Think outside the box.
Throw the box away.
The Rocky Mountains.
Wherever you can find snow free trails.
Make it up as you go along.
That is Hiking You Own Hike.
Wayne

colorado_rob
03-30-2017, 14:43
Think outside the box.
Throw the box away.
The Rocky Mountains.
Wherever you can find snow free trails.
Make it up as you go along.
That is Hiking You Own Hike.
WayneAll of this. Go west young man (or woman) ! Prettycheap direct flights on SW air Boston-Denver (or other points west, like Sacramento), many times around 100-150 bucks each way, no baggage or change fees. Who wants to hike on the AT in mid summer? (I know, I know.... lots of folks from the east)

Lyle
03-30-2017, 15:12
Who wants to hike on the AT in mid summer? (I know, I know.... lots of folks from the east)

Actually, the PERFECT time for southern AT. The thru-hikers are past, the flowers in bloom, the weather is very pleasant.

Mags
03-30-2017, 15:57
Actually, the PERFECT time for southern AT. The thru-hikers are past, the flowers in bloom, the weather is very pleasant.

Sounds rather nice, actually. A smaller window to hike in many places. Seems Mid-May in SE Apps would be quite memorable.

colorado_rob
03-30-2017, 16:15
Actually, the PERFECT time for southern AT. The thru-hikers are past, the flowers in bloom, the weather is very pleasant.Of course it is, duh, sorry! I slipped a month mentally with the OP's dates, thinking June-August for some reason. I absolutely agree. Again, sorry for the brain fart!

evyck da fleet
03-30-2017, 16:35
In the US, I'd start at Springer and see how far I got. Unless you like crowds than you could start atDamascus after Trail Days. But two months from Springer should get you far enough into VA where you won't be too far from an interstate to get to a train or plane. The first and last 500 miles are the best. Your timeframe says Springer. If you said starting after Labor Day I'd say go out west.

Slo-go'en
03-30-2017, 17:11
I'd probably skip GA and start in the Smokies. That way your likely to hit the Roan highlands just in time for the Rhododendron bloom.

Hosaphone
03-30-2017, 17:20
I think you guys might have sold me! I've been looking forward to staying at the hiker hostel, doing the approach trail, seeing the plaque on Springer, etc. I think if I just jumped in and went PA-ME I would regret missing that. I've lived in New England my whole life so I've seen quite a bit of NH and ME anyways, might be interesting to see what all the fuss is about down south. This also puts less pressure on me to make miles or finish by a certain date, and I suppose makes it easy to bow out if I get bored of walking and just don't want to do it anymore.

At the same time though, I think I want that pressure and sense of accomplishment from having set out with a goal and achieved it. Hitting Katahdin in July has me hiking in some pretty miserable conditions through New England though right (bugs, mud, etc)? I guess it would be a worthy goal to shoot for GA-Harpers Ferry which is the traditional flip-flop spot anyways.

I have definitely given a lot of thought to going West... When it turned out that an AT thru wasn't going to work out, Colorado Trail was my next choice... But now it looks like the time window is such that that's also a no-go :( I am also lazy and not wanting to do much logistics planning, so something like a CDT section or "choose your own adventure" in the Rockies is maybe a bit more involved than what I'm looking for, especially as a first long hike.

Dan Roper
03-30-2017, 22:33
Hosa, it sounds like you've decided to start at Amicalola and head north.

If so, I concur! But I should add that hiking the AT, beginning with the Approach Trail, was a dream of mine from the time I was a teenager; I've never been able to do big bites, but I have managed to section hike to Damascus. Most of my AT backpacking trips have been in the months of July and August, with a few in May, September, October, and November. May I just say that the Southern Appalachians are spectacular all the time. I've enjoyed every hike, though each presents its own little challenges.

So many people have set out on the Approach Trail (or at or near Springer). If you enjoy reading, an want to really dive into some find books that may convey what you'll be experiencing, I can suggest three:

1. David Brill's As Far as the Eye Can See. This book opens with his account of an intense thunderstorm at Tesnatee Gap, Georgia, on about his fourth night. His thru was in 1979, when he was in his early 20s. I think it's the finest book every written about the AT.

2. Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. People love him (mostly) or hate him (passionately), but he's a superb writer, and his account of backpacking the trail from Springer to Newfound Gap rings true.

3. Jan Curran's The Appalachian Trail: A Journey of Discovery. Curran was a retired Army colonel when he started a thru hike in June (I think 1997). He was a late starter and made it as far as Harper's Ferry that year. His account really is more of a journal of daily experiences, so you'll get info about tough stretches or beautiful places or interesting people. Some of his info is out of date now (for instance, the climb up Roan has been modified by switchbacks, making it entirely different). As an Army colonel set in his ways and examining his spiritual beliefs, the book may not be for everyone. In fact, I probably wouldn't recommend it to young folks. But if you're in your 40s or older, you'll get a good feel for what hiking the AT is like.

Have fun starting on a grand, grand adventure. Preparation can be helpful, but don't analyze the thing to death. You can do it. In two months, you'll make it well into Virginia. That's pretty epic, right there.

Hosaphone
03-30-2017, 22:38
Hosa, it sounds like you've decided to start at Amicalola and head north.

If so, I concur! But I should add that hiking the AT, beginning with the Approach Trail, was a dream of mine from the time I was a teenager; I've never been able to do big bites, but I have managed to section hike to Damascus. Most of my AT backpacking trips have been in the months of July and August, with a few in May, September, October, and November. May I just say that the Southern Appalachians are spectacular all the time. I've enjoyed every hike, though each presents its own little challenges.

So many people have set out on the Approach Trail (or at or near Springer). If you enjoy reading, an want to really dive into some find books that may convey what you'll be experiencing, I can suggest three:

1. David Brill's As Far as the Eye Can See. This book opens with his account of an intense thunderstorm at Tesnatee Gap, Georgia, on about his fourth night. His thru was in 1979, when he was in his early 20s. I think it's the finest book every written about the AT.

2. Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. People love him (mostly) or hate him (passionately), but he's a superb writer, and his account of backpacking the trail from Springer to Newfound Gap rings true.

3. Jan Curran's The Appalachian Trail: A Journey of Discovery. Curran was a retired Army colonel when he started a thru hike in June (I think 1997). He was a late starter and made it as far as Harper's Ferry that year. His account really is more of a journal of daily experiences, so you'll get info about tough stretches or beautiful places or interesting people. Some of his info is out of date now (for instance, the climb up Roan has been modified by switchbacks, making it entirely different). As an Army colonel set in his ways and examining his spiritual beliefs, the book may not be for everyone. In fact, I probably wouldn't recommend it to young folks. But if you're in your 40s or older, you'll get a good feel for what hiking the AT is like.

Have fun starting on a grand, grand adventure. Preparation can be helpful, but don't analyze the thing to death. You can do it. In two months, you'll make it well into Virginia. That's pretty epic, right there.

Thanks for sharing your experience - I hope both of us are able to do a full thru some day!

Hikingjim
03-30-2017, 22:43
South is a great choice for mid-may start

PA to katahdin would be much better enjoyed when you have time in August and the fall
Same goes for the LT

TX Aggie
03-31-2017, 00:06
If I could seriously go and hike anywhere I wanted (in CONUS) for 2 months, it would likely be 2-3 weeks in Bog Bend, TX, then up to the Rockies. The AT is a great trail, and luckily I love close enough that I can start using it now that I have time to get back out there, but it's still a little too populated and commercial for me.

The high desert of Big Bend? Seriously, nothing even comes close. Everyone discusses the treeline, well in Big Bend the treeline is reversed: bare desert floor at the basin, a pinewood forest halfway up until you're at the summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX Aggie
03-31-2017, 00:06
$&@$ autocorrect: BIG Bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk