PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Trail Runners

jorge99s
03-30-2017, 13:50
I have hiked in Brooks Pure Grit 3&4 for the past few years and now the new version just doesn't fit me properly. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good trail runner for backpacking? I've heard good things about the Brooks Cascadia and a couple dog Salomon styles. Any advice is much appreciated.

DuneElliot
03-30-2017, 14:47
Salomons are super comfortable but are notorious or noted for being narrow...that works for those of us with a narrow foot, but not for others. My XA 3D Ultra's are the widest of my Salomon TRs and are still comfortable but I can't wear them for hiking anymore because my foot moves around too much.

gsingjane
03-30-2017, 16:10
I have run in Brooks since they started making them. Had mixed experience with Cascadia - one pair was wonderful, the other pair tore the dickens out of my right heel. They're good shoes for folks with wider feet and you sure see a lot of them out there. No experience with Salomon, can't even squish them onto my flipper feet.

smoovoperator
03-30-2017, 22:38
Pearl izumi trail em n2 v3. Crazy comfy. Nice wide toe box

Bansko
03-31-2017, 08:30
My experience with Brooks Cascadias has been different than Gsingjane's, which just reinforces the importance of trying them on and seeing if they are a good fit for you. I've been wearing Brooks for a while and I wore Cascadias (versions 10 and 12) on my thru hike last year. I most definitely have a foot on the narrow side, and they worked well for me.

Even though I trained with Cascadias (and a full pack) prior to the hike, I still developed a few blisters which, after transforming to calises, weren't a problem. 15+ miles a day, all day, every day on rough terrain will do that, no matter your shoe choice.

I still wear Cascadias and if I were to begin anot her thru hike tomorrow I'd wear them again.

Praha4
03-31-2017, 10:15
+1 for the Brooks Cascadia

have worn the Cascadia 10s on last few section hikes and loved them, they get a bad rap for a weak spot that can tear, you can read about that at other forums

Brooks tried to address that weak spot with the Cascadia 11s

I'm sticking with the Cascadia 11 or 12 for next hike

nsherry61
03-31-2017, 10:20
Altra Lone Peak 3.0
Great toe box space.
Great built in rock guard.
Super light.
Zero drop (heal and toes are same level, no heal lift) which my be horrible for your Achilles, or the best foot position you've ever walked in.

I tolerate the zero drop (more important for runners than walkers) for the other benefits (fit & rock guard) which I absolutely love.

MuddyWaters
03-31-2017, 10:52
Ive hiked in inov8 for loooong time.

Even after they changed the shoes completely several yrs back, their cr@p shoes were still better than anyone elses. I tried them all.

Completely flat footbed, minimal midsole, aggressive deep tread, good tread compound

The new roclite 305 may be a step in right direction again for them. Loops for laces, shorter tongue .

Deacon
03-31-2017, 11:41
Ive hiked in inov8 for loooong time.

Even after they changed the shoes completely several yrs back, their cr@p shoes were still better than anyone elses. I tried them all.

Completely flat footbed, minimal midsole, aggressive deep tread, good tread compound

The new roclite 305 may be a step in right direction again for them. Loops for laces, shorter tongue .

Innovates are like most other imported shoes. They are so narrow that us duck footed people cannot wear them. Wish I could.

MuddyWaters
03-31-2017, 12:26
Innovates are like most other imported shoes. They are so narrow that us duck footed people cannot wear them. Wish I could.

They were narrow toes 4 yrs ago
Then they changed the roclites
But messed up so that wrinkle in top of shoe if didnt have really big feet, right over toes
Only race shoes are narrow now in toes

But yeah rest of foot is narrow and snug, low cut
Hoping 305 design gets rid of wrinkle. The tonge cut extended too far forward. Never seen in any other shoes anywhere...wasnt problem when toes were narrow, was when added extra room.

One Half
03-31-2017, 18:00
My feet like the New Balance Minimus

Night Train
04-01-2017, 11:45
Altra Lone Peak, Altra Superior, and just recently I've been trying out the Topo Runventure and the Topo MT2 on some of my training runs. Pleasantly surprised with the Topo's, drain very well, lightweight, roomy toebox, heel fit is awesome. Best of luck in your search.

Night Train
04-01-2017, 11:47
If drop is important to you....Altra has zero drop, Runventure's are around 2mm and the MT2's are 3mm.

CHILL_TX
04-01-2017, 14:29
Altra has been life changing for me. No more deciding between my pinky toe rubbing or the shoe being too long.

Ethesis
04-02-2017, 09:09
Altra Lone Peak 3.0
Great toe box space.
Great built in rock guard.
Super light.
Zero drop (heal and toes are same level, no heal lift) which my be horrible for your Achilles, or the best foot position you've ever walked in.

I tolerate the zero drop (more important for runners than walkers) for the other benefits (fit & rock guard) which I absolutely love.

This captures the entire issue with shoes.

I loved the feel of the Altra on my feet.

No Achilles problems at all.

But. They throw my knees out of alignment.

I tried other shoes that when updated hit my ankle bones.

The truth is (and this deserves a stickey):

Your feet, and your feet under a load, are probably different.

Fitting shoes is intensely personal and varies dramatically person to person.

Nothing beats a good fitting and some miles.

NB lists the lasts that their shoes are built on. If a shoe is built on a particular last and works for you, another shoe built on that last will too. They retired the last that worked best with my feet.

Brooks has switched things around on the Cascadia. It went from the choice for wide feet to the one for narrow feet.

But I wold still be in the Altras if my knees could take them. (And, they were invented by a guy with knee problems. For some they are the ultimate answer).

Venchka
04-02-2017, 20:40
Said better than I could. I'm also a happy owner.
http://sectionhiker.com/la-sportiva-ultra-raptor-trail-runners-long-term-review/
In my case I went 1 whole size larger. 43.5.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrabbler
04-02-2017, 20:53
Currently using a pair of Adidas Terrex Swift and really like the stiff rock plate. I dont feel every pebble, and the traction is nice in wet conditions.

gsingjane
04-03-2017, 14:39
Don't mean to hijack your thread here but also wondering whether anybody has any experience to report with HOKA shoes. I've been running in them for the past 6 months with great success, but wondering about hiking? And worried because it would be a super-expensive experiment to try and not have it work out?

Venchka
04-05-2017, 16:33
If/when I need new shoes I'm going to buy these.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/9e05faffb4734226c4482c1cd89c7469.jpg
Walmart.
Wayne

jorge99s
04-08-2017, 08:59
Thanks for all of the feedback. Does anyone have any experience with the New Balance 10v1?

saltysack
04-08-2017, 09:07
Once u go Altra.....you can't back....found this out recently...for years the LaSportiva Wildcats served me well though...

Bubblehead
04-08-2017, 09:35
Not the 10v1's, but I hiked 700+ miles on the AT last year w/ NB 610v4's, and they are still in great shape, no tears, nothing coming apart. Hoping to get another 300+ miles with them again this year when I continue my AT hike. I do use a pair of green superfeet with them. I bought three pair of the NB 610v4's on Amazon last year for $65 a pair. Can't beat that!

One Half
04-08-2017, 18:59
Thanks for all of the feedback. Does anyone have any experience with the New Balance 10v1?

Yes. I like them. I prefer the v3 more but the v3 aren't being made right now. They brought the v1 because it was more popular. Or so I'm told. Do you have specific questions?

jorge99s
04-08-2017, 22:51
Yes. I like them. I prefer the v3 more but the v3 aren't being made right now. They brought the v1 because it was more popular. Or so I'm told. Do you have specific questions?

I'm mainly concerned with overall comfort and the toe box size. Thanks for the input.

shelb
04-09-2017, 22:12
This is a very controversial topic. What works for one person may not work for another!!!

Brooks may fit one person; Soloman may fit another. I tried Keen, Merrill, and many other hiking shoes. My Recommendation????? GO GET FITTED IN a RUNNING STORE! (I tried several outfitters in the past, but all their recommendations ended up with my feet looking like the picture below.) Get fitted properly!!!! (FYI: I like Soloman because they have a wide toe box and narrow heel box - but that is MY foot! You have a different foot!)

saltysack
04-10-2017, 09:43
This is a very controversial topic. What works for one person may not work for another!!!

Brooks may fit one person; Soloman may fit another. I tried Keen, Merrill, and many other hiking shoes. My Recommendation????? GO GET FITTED IN a RUNNING STORE! (I tried several outfitters in the past, but all their recommendations ended up with my feet looking like the picture below.) Get fitted properly!!!! (FYI: I like Soloman because they have a wide toe box and narrow heel box - but that is MY foot! You have a different foot!)

Uggggg.....can u say body glide and leukotape along with a proper fit and good socks!!! That had to hurt!

One Half
04-10-2017, 20:27
I'm mainly concerned with overall comfort and the toe box size. Thanks for the input.

I find them comfortable and I like a roomy toe box. Can't stand my toes being scrunched.

Turk6177
04-10-2017, 21:08
La Sportiva Wildcats are my current shoe. I like how it has been working out.

DuneElliot
04-11-2017, 09:32
Once u go Altra.....you can't back....found this out recently...for years the LaSportiva Wildcats served me well though...

Not for everyone...the zero drop would cause me problems with my achilles tendon...I already have to be careful

saltysack
04-11-2017, 09:58
Not for everyone...the zero drop would cause me problems with my achilles tendon...I already have to be careful

Should have specified.....as DW said after wearing them for a little while your feet tend to splay therefore no longer fit in narrower shoes the same. I was referring to the wide toe box not the zero drop.....

Francis Sawyer
04-11-2017, 10:44
The running shoe companies drive me crazy with the updated models which are in NO way at all similar to the old model. I asked a rep for one of the companies and she looked at me like I was speaking Klingon. Then she tried to talk me into buying another (more expensive) model. If you find a pair that you REALLY like then buy two.

shelb
04-13-2017, 22:28
Uggggg.....can u say body glide and leukotape along with a proper fit and good socks!!! That had to hurt!

I tried the following:
Mole Skin (NO HELP - trash - it just bunched up...)
Body Glide...WOW - how it helped with chaffing!!!
Body Glide ... with heel blisters.... (applied it MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY! - like every 1.5 hours - AND - it made it so those blisters didn't appear for about 30 miles...after that... ugh!)
Leukotape: Yes, that was better than duct tape, but not much better....
Socks: before anyone mentions them - I only use Smart Wool, Darn Tough, or Fox River. I change them at least once - if not twice a day. I also wash them out by hand while hiking - even though I carry at least four pair...

SHOES - SHOES - SHOES - SHOES - Yes, the shoe is what makes the difference!

Carl7
04-13-2017, 22:46
Don't mean to hijack your thread here but also wondering whether anybody has any experience to report with HOKA shoes. I've been running in them for the past 6 months with great success, but wondering about hiking? And worried because it would be a super-expensive experiment to try and not have it work out?

Last summer I hiked for 13 days from Katahdin to ME 17. I wore Hoka One One Challenger ATR II's. I would have liked to have hiked a 14 day during the section hike, but the Hoka's completely fell apart. Maine tore them apart. Yes, they were very light, but the rock abrasion shred the sides out of the shoes to the point my left foot was coming out of the shoes. The sole lugs were completely ripped off. I had to hike in Croc knockoffs part of the trip in order to save the Hokas for some of the more difficult sections. The 13th day I was having to place my left foot on the left part of the trail with an incline to keep my foot in the shoe. Before the section hike, I wore a pair for months walking, running, day hiking and thought they would work out. The attached photos were taken on about day 9 or 10. 3904039041

Don's Brother
04-21-2017, 16:04
I thru-hiked in 2013 in Brooks Cascadias. The first pair lasted to just south of Daleville, VA. I wore the second pair to Wingdale, NY. I picked up my final pair in Rangely, ME. I used Vaseline on my feet every morning before putting on Smart Wool socks and had zero blisters from Springer to Katahdin. I would recommend a one-half size bigger with the second pair. Your feet will flatten out somewhat by 600 plus miles. I met around a dozen other hikers that year wearing Cascadias.