PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania AT trail options

buckaroo007
03-30-2017, 16:02
Starting at Pa.183, NoBo. I would like to get off the trail at Northkill Rd.. In the new AWOL guide there is a trail going east called Eagles nest trail at mm 1206.9 but I'm not positive this is what I want. If I stay on the AT I see on Google Maps I might be able to get on a trail called AT connecting trail but again not sure what my best option is. Anyone who could tell me if either of these are feasible it would be appreciated. Thanks

Malto
03-30-2017, 16:51
I have hiked this several times and there are a bunch of gravels roads up there in that area. I see no reason that you can't do what you are suggesting but what exactly are you trying accomplish?

Slo-go'en
03-30-2017, 17:19
I believe Eagles Nest is on a loop trail, hence the two approaches. I have no idea where North Kill rd is. The hike from 138 to Port Clinton is really easy. The trail north of Port Clinton gets a bit gnarly.

buckaroo007
03-31-2017, 09:57
Thanks Malto. I'll be slack packing and was working on pickup points.
Thank Slo-go'en. Northkill might also be called Forge dam rd. This will be my 3rd day of a 10 day hike and didn't want to over do it. Appreciate trail condition, didn't know if this was in the rocky section yet or not. Have a great day!

Malto
03-31-2017, 12:59
Thanks Malto. I'll be slack packing and was working on pickup points.
Thank Slo-go'en. Northkill might also be called Forge dam rd. This will be my 3rd day of a 10 day hike and didn't want to over do it. Appreciate trail condition, didn't know if this was in the rocky section yet or not. Have a great day!

If you are heading NoBo then the trail is some of the easiest on the AT until you hit the short steep decline down to Port Clinton. I think it would make your life a lot easier to go into Port Clinton and make the next day a bit easier as well.

Angle
03-31-2017, 13:17
At mile 1208.6 you will cross a gravel road which will lead you to Forge Dam Rd., but it would be better to stay on the AT until 1210.7 and take a right on the old Cross Mtn. Rd. which joins the same gravel road in less than .2 mile and follow that downhill to the parking lot. Give me a call 717-278-6717 if you need any help or info. Iceman

Tennessee Viking
03-31-2017, 13:37
From rohland parking

From the Shartlesville exit of I78/22 (Exit 23) go north Mountain Rd. When Mountain Road bears right in about 0.3 miles, Continue straight on Forge Dam Road. in another mile turn right on Northkill Road. In 0.5 miles this will end at a state game lands parking area GPS N 40.32.261 W 76.07.435 It is a steep walk or bike up to the trail. We have biked it 3 times and swear that the road gets steeper and longer each time. But the ride down is great! (10/13/2001)

Trail head is at GPS N 40.33 W 76.06 20 1
at @ rohland.org
The attached map here shows the route from the end of the driveable road at the parking area which can be seen (white line) at the very bottom of the satellite view slightly left of center. The access route goes north on the old cross-mountain road which can be seen in the view. This intersects the AT in 1.6 miles at the position indicated by the green arrow. The northbound trail goes left (east) while the southbound trail goes right (west). 02/14/10 1
dlcul @ conncoll.edu
The instructions above are fine. The route is paved all the way to the parking lot. Walk up the gravel road north from the parking area. In 1.1 miles pass the terminus of what I call the Eastern Service Road. (Se mm 5.2). in another 0.4 miles the road passes a road and reaches a gate. The service road goes left here. Continue about 0.1 miles further past the gate on what is now a poor quality dirt road to the AT crossing. Here the northbound trail goes left while the southbound goes right. Do not be confused by all the white blazes at the gate. This is the boundary between the Gamelands area and Weiser State Forest. The blazes are probably boundary markers. 04/07/12

Angle
03-31-2017, 13:53
From rohland parking

From the Shartlesville exit of I78/22 (Exit 23) go north Mountain Rd. When Mountain Road bears right in about 0.3 miles, Continue straight on Forge Dam Road. in another mile turn right on Northkill Road. In 0.5 miles this will end at a state game lands parking area GPS N 40.32.261 W 76.07.435 It is a steep walk or bike up to the trail. We have biked it 3 times and swear that the road gets steeper and longer each time. But the ride down is great! (10/13/2001)

Trail head is at GPS N 40.33 W 76.06 20 1
at @ rohland.org
The attached map here shows the route from the end of the driveable road at the parking area which can be seen (white line) at the very bottom of the satellite view slightly left of center. The access route goes north on the old cross-mountain road which can be seen in the view. This intersects the AT in 1.6 miles at the position indicated by the green arrow. The northbound trail goes left (east) while the southbound trail goes right (west). 02/14/10 1
dlcul @ conncoll.edu
The instructions above are fine. The route is paved all the way to the parking lot. Walk up the gravel road north from the parking area. In 1.1 miles pass the terminus of what I call the Eastern Service Road. (Se mm 5.2). in another 0.4 miles the road passes a road and reaches a gate. The service road goes left here. Continue about 0.1 miles further past the gate on what is now a poor quality dirt road to the AT crossing. Here the northbound trail goes left while the southbound goes right. Do not be confused by all the white blazes at the gate. This is the boundary between the Gamelands area and Weiser State Forest. The blazes are probably boundary markers. 04/07/12

If you are hiking uphill from the parking lot you head into Port Clinton by turning right on the AT.

buckaroo007
04-06-2017, 12:09
Thanks everyone for the info.