PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottle shoulder strap clip, pouch, etc.

Kulliman
03-31-2017, 15:18
I've been seeing pictures of backpackers with water bottle shoulder strap clips and I'm interested if anyone here is using one. How well does it work and where do you get one. I'm also interested in opinions on other methods to carry water bottles. I normally have been using a Platypus reservoir and drinking tube and also carry a couple of smart water bottles. I'm planning on doing away with the reservoir system. I cannot reach back to get the water bottles in the packs side pockets with the pack that I have, so I'm looking for alternative methods. What is working for you?

Wyoming
03-31-2017, 15:46
Kulliman

I have for a few years now mounted pouches to my shoulder straps which carry 700ml Smart water bottles. This gives me 1.4 L of water before I have to take the pack off and refill them from the large bottles carried in my side pockets (I cant get them out of the side pockets and back in without taking off the pack either). But this is sufficient I think and it also counter-balances the pack so it carries better. Not to mention that between the water bottles in the pouches and the little web pockets on them which hold 4-6 energy bars I can often go from 6 am to 1200 before having to stop for anything other than nature calls.

I use only Smart water bottles due to their ideal shape (2 ea of the 1 L size will fit in each side pocket of my pack - I hike mostly in the desert so carrying 6 water bottles is normal), very light weights and the use of the 700 ml nozzle caps to back flush my Sawyer (allowing me to toss the goofy syringe thingy).

FYI mounting water bottles to the front of the hip belt (another front option) just does not work well. I also think carrying bladders in the pack and using the tubes is a non-optimal solution across the board.

I am carrying a Z-Pack Arc blast and using their accessory shoulder pouches. Those pouches could be adapted to other packs pretty easily.

TexasBob
03-31-2017, 18:54
https://www.aquaclip.com/

Works great.

skiBee
03-31-2017, 18:57
I am just a wannabe hiker but have been doing 3 and 6 mile hikes on a weekly basis for the past few months.
I have been using the rubber ring that goes around the top of the bottle with a carabiner on one end. I have been putting the carabiner on the loop on my backpack shoulder strap. Works for me.
It will get a better workout when I try a 200 mile section hike next month.

https://www.rei.com/product/813734/bison-designs-bottle-bandit-carabiner-clip?CAWELAID=120217890000826668&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=16033056520&CATCI=aud-129902566360:pla-285022451942&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_37109|8137340001|none|704c9b b3-80d0-43d1-b0e3-4703c3331e97|aud-129902566360:pla-285022451942&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_37109|8137340001|no ne|704c9bb3-80d0-43d1-b0e3-4703c3331e97|aud-129902566360:pla-285022451942&gclid=CKXdp8DqgdMCFdQ6gQodqbUGhA

TTT
03-31-2017, 19:56
I've ordered the clip as well as a shoulder pouch and hip pouch. Will probably opt for the clip to carry a small water bottle and use the pouches for something else. I find it easier having access to a smaller bottle than a large one that is best served as a storage container in a side pocket. The larger bottle I use has a nice convex/concave top to it which makes grabbing it with two fingers reasonably easy if the need arises. The more streamlined I am the less I feel like a Christmas tree.

C-shell
03-31-2017, 20:03
Check out Blue Desert SmarTube hydration system. I saw it recommended here and decided to try it. I liked having the convenience of the tube without the hassle of the bag.

chknfngrs
03-31-2017, 20:11
I just made one from a key ring, mitten clip from an old work badge, and a strand of shock cord. Pretty excited to have it, primarily so I know how much water I've been drinking

johnspenn
03-31-2017, 20:14
The bottle holders on the ULA packs work great. They hold my Smartwater bottles in place even when the going gets tough.

tflaris
03-31-2017, 20:26
I've used the ones that Z Packs and HMG sell. Both work well. I've also used bladders and Smart Water Bottles with a tubing kit from Source. All of these methods work well. Some prefer one over another. YMMV.

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/bottles/22-convertube-hydration-system

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/aquaclip.shtml

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/porter-water-bottle-holder-20oz.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TTT
03-31-2017, 20:52
The zpacks and hyperlitemountaingear system weighs .43 ounces and 2.0 ounces

daddytwosticks
04-01-2017, 09:14
I rig one up using a single piece of bunny cord. That's it. Just be sure to use a smaller Gatorade bottle with the groove near the top. This provides a nice slot for the bunny cord to grip onto.

daddytwosticks
04-01-2017, 09:14
I rig one up using a single piece of bunny cord. That's it. Just be sure to use a smaller Gatorade bottle with the groove near the top. This provides a nice slot for the bunny cord to grip onto.

That should be bungee Cord! Sorry.

dwcoyote
04-01-2017, 09:25

I use the same method with 1/8 shock cord. At first I used cord locks and end clips like on the ULA packs but recently removed those and just tie the shock cord into a loop. And the 20 0z Gatorade bottles are the best. The cord fits into the groove at top and bottom perfectly and the bottles are completely stable. Keep a couple extra feet of cord in the bottom of my pack in case I need to replace a loop. I've tried some of the clips and other commercially made items and this homemade method is way better.

nsherry61
04-01-2017, 09:55
My preferred water system is two 750 ml Smart water bottles in my pack packets (with more water stored inside pack if I need more than 1.5 L).

THEN, I have tied two 1/8" elastic cord loops about 4" apart on my shoulder strap to hold whatever bottle I put into them. Sometimes I move one of my Smart bottles to my shoulder strap. Sometimes I don't. It works quite well. The elastic cord does hold Gatorade bottles the best, as noted in posts above. But, I like Smart bottle better, so I use them instead and they also work fine, although, if the bottle is completely full and I am jumping around, I have occasionally, but only rarely, had a bottle fall out, which I then have to pick up . . . oh, the horror.

I have, in the past, experimented with more secure shoulder strap bottle holders with loops and pouches and clips, etc. They are all more hassle for me to use than the two simple shock cord loops.

If you want the Smart bottles to be more secure in the two shock loops you could:
1) run a thin bead of silicone sealant around the smart bottle just below the shoulder to create a little bit of lip to better hold the cord.
2) use a heavy rubber band as one or both of the shock cord loops (if you can figure out how to attach the rubber band to the shoulder strap) and the rubber is sticky enough that the bottles are quite secure.

In the end, for me, the added hassle for increased security isn't worth the minor inconvenience of taking my first drink from my Smart bottle before I put it into my elastic loops on my shoulder strap, or just not jumping around until I've had my first drink.

egilbe
04-01-2017, 11:11
Zpacks doesnt sell the pouches any longer?

TTT
04-01-2017, 13:02
I'm guessing that's an April 1st pouch joke :) Only ordered this a week ago and it's already on route

Item

Wiregate Carabiner 6 $1.75 $10.50
50 Feet 2.2 mm Z-Line Slick Cord 1 $14.95 $14.95
Passport Zip Pouch 1 $9.95 $9.95
Aquaclip Kit 1 $4.95 $4.95
Sawyer Mini Water Filter 1 $19.95 $19.95
Ultralight Travel Toothbrush 1 $2.95 $2.95
Shoulder Pouch 1 $25.00 $25.00
Belt Pouch 1 $25.00 $25.00
Subtotal $113.25
Shipping $45.00
Tax $0.00
Total $158.25

kestral
04-01-2017, 13:23
Shipping. $45. For ultralight? Oh yeah, April 1st

Odd Man Out
04-01-2017, 13:31
I too use the Gatorade bottles (with the twist open drinking spout) secured with bungees. I use two straps per bottle. I don't like to carry water in the side pouches. They slosh around alot. Having them on the shoulders put them close to your center of gravity. If I need to carry a reservoir, I pack it in the top front of my pack (right behind my head), centered over my spine.

TTT
04-01-2017, 13:34
That's what you pay when you live outside the USA, so stop complaining about your $1 noodles :)

Stone1984
04-01-2017, 13:58
https://www.aquaclip.com/

Works great.

@texasbob Have you weighed one of these?

rhjanes
04-01-2017, 20:05
I have a few of the aquaclip, and then some shock cord looped on the shoulder strap. The Clip stays on the smart water bottle. The clip then goes into one of the shoulder strap loops/attachment. Just snap the shock cord around the lower part of the bottle to keep it from swaying and also secures it in a fall. Works well. Water weight is on your front, can see what you have, don't have to mess with the pack unless you need to filter.

The clip weighs .3 OZ on my scale.

daddytwosticks
04-02-2017, 13:18
I use the same method with 1/8 shock cord. At first I used cord locks and end clips like on the ULA packs but recently removed those and just tie the shock cord into a loop. And the 20 0z Gatorade bottles are the best. The cord fits into the groove at top and bottom perfectly and the bottles are completely stable. Keep a couple extra feet of cord in the bottom of my pack in case I need to replace a loop. I've tried some of the clips and other commercially made items and this homemade method is way better.

Yep, exactly how I do it. No cord locks either. I'm still using an original I rigged up years ago. I just keep moving it to each new pack I got.😊

TexasBob
04-02-2017, 19:52
@texasbob Have you weighed one of these?

Mine weighs 0.4 oz, add a rubber band or shock cord and it's 0.5 oz.

linus72
04-03-2017, 10:11
im interested in the shock cord approach. can someone give photos/howto of their setup? not a fan of my water bladder approach

egilbe
04-03-2017, 10:17
Phil Werner of Sectionhiker.com reviewed an ULA Ohm and there is some pretty good pictures of their setup.

dwcoyote
04-03-2017, 11:18
im interested in the shock cord approach. can someone give photos/howto of their setup? not a fan of my water bladder approach

Right strap with bottle attached, left strap without bottle. I love having the weight up front, easy access to water, and the grooves in the Gatorade bottles are perfect for the cord to get a bite for secure hold.

nsherry61
04-03-2017, 11:33
Right strap with bottle attached, left strap without bottle. I love having the weight up front, easy access to water, and the grooves in the Gatorade bottles are perfect for the cord to get a bite for secure hold.
Great image. Super dead-easy to set up and use. I hesitated to use this system for a while because I didn't want to be stuck using Gatorade bottles. After giving in and trying it, I found it also works exceedingly well, not only with larger bicycle water bottles, but also adequately well with just about everything else including the completely smooth Smart Water bottles. As noted above, the Smart bottle can slip out, but only when they are full and you are jumping around. But then, the Smart bottles are so smooth, they jump out of the pockets on my pack once in a while too.

dwcoyote
04-03-2017, 12:04
Great image. Super dead-easy to set up and use. I hesitated to use this system for a while because I didn't want to be stuck using Gatorade bottles. After giving in and trying it, I found it also works exceedingly well, not only with larger bicycle water bottles, but also adequately well with just about everything else including the completely smooth Smart Water bottles. As noted above, the Smart bottle can slip out, but only when they are full and you are jumping around. But then, the Smart bottles are so smooth, they jump out of the pockets on my pack once in a while too.

The grooves in the Gatorade bottles are the exact distance apart as the cords are when I put them in the proper place on my pack. Like they were made to fit, I have quite a collection of Gatorade bottles just in case one day they change their bottles. Never thought about trying bicycle water bottles but for some of my day hikes having a little extra water may be worth looking for a couple.

Lnj
04-03-2017, 14:52
I do this too, but my shock cord is just a couple of large hair ties. Works like a charm!

Rmcpeak
04-08-2017, 10:12
I'm going to back to this method because as it turns out I can't reach the side pockets of my ZP Zero Small when I'm wearing it. With this setup I can actually drink without disconnecting the bottles, and it frees up the side pockets which will come in handy with such a small pack.

saltysack
04-08-2017, 12:00
Yep, exactly how I do it. No cord locks either. I'm still using an original I rigged up years ago. I just keep moving it to each new pack I got.[emoji4]

I was getter no ready to ditch the mini cord locks as not needed if make the loops small enough and stick with the lil Gatorade bottles..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harrison Bergeron
04-08-2017, 17:21
I don't know why nobody makes a good holster. I made my own. Lots easier to deal with than those bungee thingees.

Basically, it's just a DIY stuff sack (google it) with part of a cut-off water bottle glued in, and a carabiner to clip it onto my pack strap. I think I used the next size larger Smart water bottle than the Ozarka bottles I usually carry (20oz). It's been a while, so I don't remember for sure what I used. It just keeps the holster open so your bottle slips in and out easily. Weighs 0.4 oz.

dwcoyote
04-08-2017, 18:08
I had a holster but it never kept the water bottle completely still. The shock cord keeps the water bottles absolutely motionless. For some reason when the bottles move at all it drives me crazy.

TTT
04-08-2017, 22:09
They do/or did make good pouches. This one weighs 1.7 ounces

Rmcpeak
04-11-2017, 11:34
I had some nice holsters -- got them from a guy on a facebook AT group. I quit Facebook a year or so ago and I can't find the holsters. I mighta sold them. I dunno. Moving on with my life. Never look back.