PDA

View Full Version : Linden, Va. : maildrop or convience store

rmitchell
04-01-2017, 08:55
Planning for my next section beginning April 27. We will be starting at Thornton Gap and ending in Harpers Ferry. Not wanting to carry a weeks worth of food. Total miles would be around 82.
I know there is one last wayside in Shenandoah but that is early in the trip. Also there is a chance for short term supply at Bear's Den but that is near the end.
The itinerary list by Slo-go'er on a previous post looks pretty good. But I am looking for resupply near the midpoint.
After the Denton shelter it looks as if Linden, Va. is a 1.2 road walk away. So I am considering sending a mail drop to the Post Office there. There is Monterey Market there also but I am not sure of the selection. Has anyone used it for resupply?

The Old Chief
04-01-2017, 09:04
I've used it twice over the years. It has a nice grassy area outside to do your sorting. The convenience store is across the street but unless they have changed you can only do a limited re-supply from there. Get it right on the post office hours of operation.

Praha4
04-01-2017, 10:37
I used that Monterey Market last fall for a quick resupply. The walk along the highway is not bad. They had hot coffee and snack food. They stock typical gas station type food, some Cliff bars, donuts, candy, drinks, bread, cheese, stuff like that. You can get by for a couple days with what they have there.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2017, 13:14
I stayed at the hostel in Front Royal so got a ride to the supermarket to resupply.

theeulogy
04-02-2017, 01:02
I stayed at the hostel in Front Royal so got a ride to the supermarket to resupply.

The Hostel there is called Terrapin Station and I would highly recommend staying there. It is about half a mile off trail and the guy that runs it has through hiked, if memory serves me right his name is Mike. He does do a ride into Front Royal still.

QuietStorm
04-03-2017, 19:32
I would also contact Sharon Johnson. She has a hiker's lodge, does meals, laundry, and shuttles hikers and is right in Linden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk