PDA

View Full Version : What do you bring into the tent at night when bears are active?

LucyInColor
04-02-2017, 13:49
I'll be hiking the NJ section next August & may not have room to bring my pack inside the tent at night. Two of us will share a two man tent. I understand that bears are active in that area. Should I hang my pack at night along with the food? I also wonder if items like chap stick, toothpaste and lanolin are too yummy smelling to bring in the tent at night? What's the protocol? What would you do?

Captain Bluebird
04-02-2017, 13:59
Two person tent with two sharing the tent.... Hang the backpacks along with the food bags! You will appreciate the room in the tent and worry less about attracting the active bear population.

In addition to that and somewhat related, while hiking and staying in shelters in the GSMNP the park rangers strongly suggest hanging the packs and food bags.

BuckeyeBill
04-02-2017, 14:01
Well if you can't bring it in the tent with you, hanging is the best option. I keep all of the smell good stuff in Loksac Opsaks, (odor proof bags). My toilet kit is also in one, but I would keep that with me under your circumstances. I have a Ursack AllMitey Bear Bag that I lined with a extra large Opsak. YMMV

Venchka
04-02-2017, 14:11
Should I hang my pack at night along with the food? I also wonder if items like chap stick, toothpaste and lanolin are too yummy smelling to bring in the tent at night? What's the protocol? What would you do?
Everything that you would put on your person or in your mouth goes in your food bag. Don't forget to get empty food wrappers and crumbs out of your pack and into the trash bag inside the food bag.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
04-02-2017, 14:29
I'll be hiking the NJ section next August & may not have room to bring my pack inside the tent at night. Two of us will share a two man tent. I understand that bears are active in that area. Should I hang my pack at night along with the food? I also wonder if items like chap stick, toothpaste and lanolin are too yummy smelling to bring in the tent at night? What's the protocol? What would you do?

:welcome
When I did NJ we each kept our packs in the vestibule of the tent which worked well for us. If this is not an option for you then I would recommend that you not just leave your pack lying around and instead secure it. For most of the NJ section you are required to stay at designated sites and the good news is that if I recall, every designated site has an excellent quality bear box (still bring supplies for a bear hang just in case). The exception is the few miles farthest South is part of Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, this section allows dispersed camping and therefore does not have bear boxes.

Everything that you would put on your person or in your mouth goes in your food bag. Don't forget to get empty food wrappers and crumbs out of your pack and into the trash bag inside the food bag.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Venchka said.

Since he mentioned it, in all of my time camping and backpacking the only animal damage I have sustained was when I accidentally left a Payday wrapper in my hipbelt pocket this summer and a mouse ate a hole through to get to it while I was sleeping at a shelter.

eggymane
04-02-2017, 14:47
Bears being active doesn't change what I bring into my shelter. The difference of being in bear territory or not being in bear territory changes that however.

DuneElliot
04-02-2017, 15:09
I use my pack as support for my pillow...doesn't take up any more space and actually helps to stop things sliding around or falling off.

As far as what I bring into the tent...only my chapstick, everything else goes into the bear bag and hung...trash, food and toiletries.

Farr Away
04-03-2017, 12:05
We had a raccoon try to run off with the potty bag (zip lock with toilet paper, trowel & unscented hand sanitizer bagged individually). It never had anything that would have smelled edible in or near it. We were about a mile or so from a front country campground though, and I'm sure the raccoon had learned that zip locks = good things to eat. I'd say it was one disappointed critter - After tearing the bag open, it dropped it and ran off.

-FA

Malto
04-03-2017, 12:32
I bring everything into my shelter if I have it set up. Most of my gear is somehow part of my sleep system except for my pot.

Sarcasm the elf
04-03-2017, 12:55
I bring everything into my shelter if I have it set up. Most of my gear is somehow part of my sleep system except for my pot.

I'm honestly surprised that you haven't yet found a way to incorporate your cookpot into your shelter system. :D

Perhaps it could be used as a snowstake?

Malto
04-03-2017, 14:53
I'm honestly surprised that you haven't yet found a way to incorporate your cookpot into your shelter system. :D

Perhaps it could be used as a snowstake?
I tried it as part of my pillow. Titanium is not very soft and fluffy.

macdiver
04-03-2017, 16:12
I keep everything in odor proof bags in my tent. Otherwise, i have my 9mm Ruger handy.

TNhiker
04-03-2017, 16:19
while hiking and staying in shelters in the GSMNP the park rangers strongly suggest hanging the packs and food bags

its not a suggestion to hang the food bags in the Park----its a requirement......

Dogwood
04-03-2017, 17:14
I knew this would be an entertaining thread. :-? Popcorn anyone?

TNhiker
04-03-2017, 17:18
Popcorn anyone?

i think you have to hang that as well.......

-Rush-
04-04-2017, 17:44
The best way to avoid bears and other critters is to avoid shelters and designated camp areas. You're not going to get rid of the smells that a bear's nose can pick up. It's all over you and you don't even know it.

TTT
04-04-2017, 18:03
Campfire smoke has been used to mask scent. It seems to work on certain animals.

Captain Bluebird
04-04-2017, 18:13
Tnhiker, is it required to hang the pack on bear cable in GSMNO?

Captain Bluebird
04-04-2017, 18:14
Sorry, GSMNP

-Rush-
04-04-2017, 18:38
Tnhiker, is it required to hang the pack on bear cable in GSMNO?

No, it's not required, and a lot of the time there are no cables left if you show up late.

Zea
04-04-2017, 18:43
If a bear can smell things through your tent and backpack from super long distances, you don't think it can smell all that food sitting in your belly from dinner? Or just smell you?

If it's the park rules, I hang food and sleep with my legs on my pack(3/4 sleeping pad). If it's not and it's a long trip with no resupply I keep everything in my tent. Too many times I've left my pack outside and found ticks or spiders in/on it in the morning.

Dogwood
04-04-2017, 19:03
Bears smelling things is only one factor in negative bear human relations. Yeah, I'm sure bears smell us and smell foods on our person that we have consumed - as dogs do with less keen of a sense of smell - but I'm not seeing every bear that might eating everyone's face to get at the tasty smelling peanut butter trail bar at the bottom of the hole. :p

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2017, 19:16
The best way to avoid bears and other critters is to avoid shelters and designated camp areas. You're not going to get rid of the smells that a bear's nose can pick up. It's all over you and you don't even know it.

The opening poster was asking about the NJ section, where you are required by law to stay at designated sites for most of the state.

-Rush-
04-04-2017, 19:51
The opening poster was asking about the NJ section, where you are required by law to stay at designated sites for most of the state.

I think the GSMNP references threw me off!

Kaptainkriz
04-04-2017, 20:55
Certainly don't want this in my tent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJ-WfLp5-A

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2017, 21:02
I think the GSMNP references threw me off!

Fair enough, I haven't done the smokies yet, but I already know I'm going to do it in the off season or winter. The idea of staying in shelter that are that overused skeeves me out. (Ironically I'm in my bag in a shelter as I write this.)

Wooobie
04-04-2017, 21:13
Usually everything i have in my bag.

TNhiker
04-04-2017, 21:16
and a lot of the time there are no cables left if you show up late.

the cables will hold more than one bag or two or three or four or five bags, so it takes nothing to lower them down and put another up.......

Bansko
04-04-2017, 22:05
It's New Jersey; any halfway intelligent bear is going to hit up trash cans, not backpacks. Just hang your food and trash and put your pack wherever you want.

BuckeyeBill
04-05-2017, 04:58
I am a hammock hanger so I deal with tarps. I use a Ursack AllMitey. Its their regular S29 bag with a Kevlar liner laminated inside the bag. I will stop both bears and the little sharp tooth critters. I used seam sealer on the seams, making it virtually waterproof. As far as my pack goes, I place it at in the foot of my hammock.

OMark
04-05-2017, 06:30
To be ultra-safe and just feel better I generally leave almost all my gear out and away from my tent in bear country. I'm always paranoid that I forget some food or smelly stuff in my pack or pockets.

becfoot
04-05-2017, 10:46
It's New Jersey; any halfway intelligent bear is going to hit up trash cans, not backpacks.
That settles it. I'm carrying a trash can though NJ as a diversion. Bears will go after the can while my yummy pasta sides are safe!!! ;)

-Rush-
04-05-2017, 12:41
the cables will hold more than one bag or two or three or four or five bags, so it takes nothing to lower them down and put another up.......

You are correct, but there are times when backpacks and food bags are suspended on the cables and some of the cables are broken.

TTT
04-05-2017, 22:08
Bears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs

Sarcasm the elf
04-05-2017, 22:11
Bears...

There are no grizzlies within 1000 miles of the A.T.

TTT
04-05-2017, 22:13
The point he made was bear spray was better than nothing

TTT
04-05-2017, 22:14
I'm sure there's one at the local museum

Sarcasm the elf
04-05-2017, 22:25
The point he made was bear spray was better than nothing

The point I took away from that video was that that guy is one tough S.O.B. :eek:

It's impressive enough that he survived at all, let alone walked back to his car and drove himself to the hospital!

ChrisMek
04-06-2017, 09:21
In NJ, you are supposed to stay/camp at the shelters. Every shelter has a Bear Box to put your food. Put all your "Smellables" into the bear Box. In other words, anything that has a smell, including toothpaste and chapstick.

I live in NJ Bear Country and also hiked the NJ section of the AT, just put your stuff in the Beat box and you will be fine. If you stealth camp, hang your Bag.

Offshore
04-06-2017, 10:04
It's New Jersey; any halfway intelligent bear is going to hit up trash cans, not backpacks. Just hang your food and trash and put your pack wherever you want.

NJ requires use of designated campsite along the AT. The shelters in NJ have bear boxes, so no need to hang. There are no trash cans at the shelters.

Don H
04-06-2017, 13:09
Yes use the steel bear boxes at each campsite to put your food in. Most of the ones I saw had rust holes in the bottom, the mice were grateful.

Me, I sleep with my food, covered by my smelly clothes. Any bear that wants to get past that deserves a free meal.

Tipi Walter
04-06-2017, 13:18
If a bear can smell things through your tent and backpack from super long distances, you don't think it can smell all that food sitting in your belly from dinner? Or just smell you?

If it's the park rules, I hang food and sleep with my legs on my pack(3/4 sleeping pad). If it's not and it's a long trip with no resupply I keep everything in my tent. Too many times I've left my pack outside and found ticks or spiders in/on it in the morning.

Mirrors exactly what I would say. Remember, I just ate dinner and have a couple lbs of fresh digesting food down the hole in my stomach. "Get in my belly!!!" Don't think a bear knows about this sack? How are you gonna hang your stomach??

Certainly don't want this in my tent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJ-WfLp5-A

I keep all my gear inside my tent and had a recent visitor into my tent vestibule---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2017-Trips-79/Quest-For-The-Wildcat/i-jm5vHnG/0/O/P1000370.jpg
In order to chew on my pack he's have to crawl over my cold undead sleeping form.

Bears...

I could post a thousand gory videos of people in car wrecks too. What does it prove? We all drive to the trailhead so maybe vehicles are dangerous?? So what?

Hosh
04-06-2017, 13:48
Mirrors exactly what I would say. Remember, I just ate dinner and have a couple lbs of fresh digesting food down the hole in my stomach. "Get in my belly!!!" Don't think a bear knows about this sack? How are you gonna hang your stomach??

I keep all my gear inside my tent and had a recent visitor into my tent vestibule---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2017-Trips-79/Quest-For-The-Wildcat/i-jm5vHnG/0/O/P1000370.jpg
In order to chew on my pack he's have to crawl over my cold undead sleeping form.

I could post a thousand gory videos of people in car wrecks too. What does it prove? We all drive to the trailhead so maybe vehicles are dangerous?? So what?

I know bears dance, but I didn't know they drove cars.

Anybody got a picture of someone mauled by a skunk?

If this guy had walked out with a 70# pack, he'd be a stud, otherwise he's just uncoordinated with a razor??

Tipi Walter
04-06-2017, 14:01
I know bears dance, but I didn't know they drove cars.

Anybody got a picture of someone mauled by a skunk?

If this guy had walked out with a 70# pack, he'd be a stud, otherwise he's just uncoordinated with a razor??

Point is, bear attacks are accidents just like car wrecks. They come with the territory. Without the possibility of bear attacks we would not have wilderness. Take away bears and there's no wilderness.

Usually after a bear attack we kill that bear and maybe a couple more. After a deadly car wreck do we close the highway or bulldoze up the asphalt? Do we shoot the other driver responsible?

TTT inflamed the topic by his vid post. But in fact such accidents are part of wilderness travel. Big trees fall, too. One could fall on a camper. So what? Do we post all the bloody things that can happen to us in the outdoors? By posting such vids we heighten and flame-up FEAR---the perfect emotion to keep Americans out of the woods and to encourage the further urbanization of our country.

Hosh
04-06-2017, 17:36
For a guy that has posted 1000's of pictures of his PACK, you seem to have little tolerance for anybody else.

Many of us have backpacked in grizzly country and know the risks. This dude is a tough mother, so just accept it and move on.

Kaptainkriz
04-06-2017, 19:08
What a beautiful looking animal. Love the stripe pattern.

Tipi Walter
04-06-2017, 19:08
For a guy that has posted 1000's of pictures of his PACK, you seem to have little tolerance for anybody else.

Left field Troll. But thanks for looking at all the pics of my pack.

QiWiz
04-07-2017, 15:27
I hang the smellables (eg, food wrapper trash, first aid kit, toothbrush, cookpot, any water container I've had drink mix in) with my food; keep my pack inside my shelter; try to be careful not to make my pack a smellable.

Dogwood
04-07-2017, 17:28
Misleading over dramatizing posting vids of grizzly bear encounters as if they should be equated with or lumped together with black bear encounters along much of the AT in context of food protection which 100% ignores the differences in attitudes, sizes, and behavior of each Ursa species in localized environments.

"By posting such vids we heighten and flame-up FEAR---the perfect emotion to keep Americans out of the woods and to encourage the further urbanization of our country."

+100 By posting such vids humanity tends to be further encouraged by the mistaken notion that Nature is apart and below humanity, that Nature and the environment is to be subdued and controlled in its fallen ignorant state which so often leads to raping, pillaging, rampant mindless human centric destruction, and fearing Nature - the environment - rather than cooperating with it. Humanity acting in fear is often accompanied by lack of knowledge which is a very dangerous situation.

If the vid illicits a better understanding leading to COOPERATION among species through behavioral HUMAN changes great but that vastly isn't the situation - THAT'S NOT WHAT THE VID WAS PROMOTING.

TTT
04-07-2017, 18:09
It's pretty simple really. The question posed was: What do you bring into the tent at night when bears are active? Todd's answer would be "Bear spray doesn't always work", but it's better than nothing.