PDA

View Full Version : AT Hike recommendations

SkeeterPee
04-02-2017, 23:47
My 64 yo old older brother and I want to some backpacking on the AT. I have done some day hikes in MD and backpacking between Caledonia State Park and PA443. So I would like to go south from Caledonia or north from 443.

This is only my brothers 2nd try at backpacking and the first try was in August at 95F, humid, and raining. he developed blisters on the first day and we only did 2 days. and we did about 6 miles each day though we got a late start because I locked my keys in my car.

So MD seems like you have to camp at only designated camping spots and some are 9mi apart. For me that would be OK, but I would prefer it be enjoyable for him and only do 7-8 miles. so I think MD may not work.

What about north of PA 443 towards Palmerton? The campsites would be more than 7 miles apart, but are there lots of opportunities for dispersed camping in that section so that we could take a slower pace?

Slo-go'en
04-03-2017, 01:12
Dispersed camping isn't as easy at it might seem. Once past Port Clinton to the DWG, the trail and the terrain is littered with little boulders, ranging in size from soft ball to basket ball to beach ball size, everywhere, all around you. Hard to find a place to put up a tent in that kind of rock field. Walking on it isn't a lot of fun either. Water is scarce and only available at the established shelter sites, with few exceptions. This is the section which gives PA a bad rap.

Now south of Caledonia to MD, that is the easiest section of PA and has shelters spaced as close together as they get. That would be your best bet.

Dan Roper
04-03-2017, 01:39
Weather makes a tremendous difference. If your brother hiked six miles in August heat and humidity, doing nine over the same stretch in comfortable April or May weather would be, by comparison, much easier. Hiking at 55 degrees and 30% humidity is a different planet than 90 degrees and 65% humidity.

Good luck and have fun!