PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try out the new LaSportiva Akyra?

saltysack
04-03-2017, 11:05
No more Altra LP 3.0 going back to LaSportiva wildcats but noticed a new model with a substantial toe box....curious if anyone has any experience with them. I'll likely at least try on for fit before return alta out for wildcats....

https://www.rei.com/product/110659/la-sportiva-akyra-trail-running-shoes-mens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
04-03-2017, 16:20
If they fit like my Ultra Raptors pay no attention to the US size marked on the box and go by the European size. That's what I did on the first pair based on cycling shoes that I wear. The first pair felt fine until the 6 miles downhill in Colorado. When I got home I exchanged them for a half size larger. I'm now 1 1/2 sizes larger than my other shoes. But they feel good.
Wayne

saltysack
04-03-2017, 16:27
If they fit like my Ultra Raptors pay no attention to the US size marked on the box and go by the European size. That's what I did on the first pair based on cycling shoes that I wear. The first pair felt fine until the 6 miles downhill in Colorado. When I got home I exchanged them for a half size larger. I'm now 1 1/2 sizes larger than my other shoes. But they feel good.
Wayne

Thx Wayne I tried them on but felt more narrow than the ultra raptors that I tried last year before I went with the Altra. As much as I bitched about the durability of the Altra I tried the new wildcats on with my socks and super feet and feel too narrow now as compared to the Altra..looks like I'm going to return these and try another pair of what my wife refers too as my clown shoes....Olympus 2.0........

Venchka
04-03-2017, 23:23
Have you tried approach shoes? If my new larger Ultra Raptors cause anymore toenails to fall off I'm going to approach shoes.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sarcasm the elf
04-11-2017, 13:22
I decided to try them out and bought them about a week ago, having worn Wildcats for the last two years. Here are my first impressions.

They fit similarly to Wildcats, but the toebox and heal cup both feel a bit wider. The top rises up a bit higher than the wildcats and ends up sitting just under my ankle socket, I'm still getting used to this and haven't decided yet if it is good or bad. I've found the footbed to be very comfortable, it is somewhat more flexable than the wildcats and I get more of a feel for what I am stepping on.

Biggest Pro: Akyras have a much more aggressive tread pattern made of softer much grippier rubber. They stick to surfaces that my Wildcats would have slid right off of. Of course this likely means they will also wear faster, but I am okay with that tradeoff.

Biggest Con: The Akyras are one of the ugliest pairs of shoes I've ever bought. I usually don't care too much for aesthetics, but wierd bulging diamond pattern on the heel and odd black, yellow, red color scheme with an off purple "stabilizer" laid over it makes me wonder what they were thinking.

The Akyras have less exposed mesh than the wildcats and because of this are a good deal warmer, I'm not a fan if this since I use them in the summer and want a well ventilated shoe.

The Akyras include pull strap on the heel that the Wildcats are sorely missing, this makes it much easier to get them on and off when wet and muddy.

The outer sole on the Akiras does not wrap around the front of the shoe to shield to strikes the way that it does on the Wildcats, I'm not sure if this will create a weak point for the sole to eventually separate, but I will keep an eye on it.

saltysack
04-11-2017, 14:29
I decided to try them out and bought them about a week ago, having worn Wildcats for the last two years. Here are my first impressions.

They fit similarly to Wildcats, but the toebox and heal cup both feel a bit wider. The top rises up a bit higher than the wildcats and ends up sitting just under my ankle socket, I'm still getting used to this and haven't decided yet if it is good or bad. I've found the footbed to be very comfortable, it is somewhat more flexable than the wildcats and I get more of a feel for what I am stepping on.

Biggest Pro: Akyras have a much more aggressive tread pattern made of softer much grippier rubber. They stick to surfaces that my Wildcats would have slid right off of. Of course this likely means they will also wear faster, but I am okay with that tradeoff.

Biggest Con: The Akyras are one of the ugliest pairs of shoes I've ever bought. I usually don't care too much for aesthetics, but wierd bulging diamond pattern on the heel and odd black, yellow, red color scheme with an off purple "stabilizer" laid over it makes me wonder what they were thinking.

The Akyras have less exposed mesh than the wildcats and because of this are a good deal warmer, I'm not a fan if this since I use them in the summer and want a well ventilated shoe.

The Akyras include pull strap on the heel that the Wildcats are sorely missing, this makes it much easier to get them on and off when wet and muddy.

The outer sole on the Akiras does not wrap around the front of the shoe to shield to strikes the way that it does on the Wildcats, I'm not sure if this will create a weak point for the sole to eventually separate, but I will keep an eye on it.

Thx for the great review....I tried them on a few weeks back at rei when returned the lone peaks....they felt tight coming from Altra....dummy me just got the got the Wildcats without trying on and on as I've have several pairs and used to fit good.....not anymore.....I guess nothing will fit like Altra so back i go and will plan on keeping toe rubber glued....