PDA

View Full Version : Altra Olympus 2.0 have a beefier toe guard? Any users?

saltysack
04-03-2017, 15:35
After my bad experience with the durability of the LP 3.0 I thought I'd simply go back to LaSportiva Wildcats as I've had several pair previous to the Altras. I Just returned the LP for the Wildcats but didn't bother try on as didn't think they've change the fit or design......damn they feel snug (narrow)compared to the Altras. Customer support at Altra recommended I try the Olympus 2.0 as it has a more robust to guard and she was aware of the issue with the LP 3.0 toe rubber separating as they were addressing with a new 3.5 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malto
04-03-2017, 20:39
I can feel your snugness. I have a pair of Wildcats that I wore recently after early Superiors almost exclusively whenever I wore shoes. They felt like tight combat boots which is strange since I worn out 8 or 9 pairs of them.

I am a bit disappointed with the lone peak wear. I think the Superior upper may wear better even though it is thinner. My only hesitation in saying this is that I wear the Lone Peaks on tougher routes such as the Wind Route High Route. Those type of routes may be the reason the Lone Peaks were tore up.

Dogwood
04-03-2017, 23:29
I roll in the Altra Olympus 2.0 with no problem ever to the toe guard delaminating. I don't drag my toe or kick at rocks though. I only just got my first pr of Altra Lone Peaks 3.5 Low cut in the Neoshell so can't say anything significant yet about it's toe number. I'm not apt to use the Olympus 2.0 on traverses or off trail on very abrasive rocky hikes. I save the tougher upper Keens for that when I'm usually going more moderately so the added wt I'm OK with as a acceptable trade off for the greater durability and foot protection. The Altras I tend to use on more maintained named trail hikes.

I didn't like it either when a few of my earliest Keen Targhees delaminated in the toe and finger like side support areas. I asked a Keen Rep about it. He said Keen was experimenting with a more eco friendly adhesive which they had sketchy results. They improved on this issue by using other adhesives that were still eco friendly. I just glued the pieces back down using McNetts Seam Grip. FWIW, the old toe bumper design of the earliest LaSportiva Wildcat versions had this problem too. If the toe numbers on the Altras peel away I'll do the same thing. There are just too many attributes that I like about tweaked Altras to not make them work for me.

left52side
04-04-2017, 01:31
Ii cant speak for the Olympus 2.0 as I have not tried them. but I can say that after wearing altras I find it hard for me to switch to any other shoe because of the tightness .
I have been wearing the superior 2.0 v2 and there not nearly as padded as the Olympus but they are my go to shoe now instead of the new balance minimus Ii was wearing before Ii switched to altra.
I did just order A couple pair of the altra instinct 3.5 and they are suppose to have moderate cushioning like the LPs so I will see how I like that bit of extra cushion on the road or hard pavement type areas.

saltysack
04-04-2017, 08:33
End of the day the Altra feel much better on my feet than anything else so I'm going to try the Olympus 2.0 and worse case fix the delam myself as haven't had a blister since switching to them....Dam the O 2.0 are fugly! They better be comfy!

saltysack
04-04-2017, 14:24
I can feel your snugness. I have a pair of Wildcats that I wore recently after early Superiors almost exclusively whenever I wore shoes. They felt like tight combat boots which is strange since I worn out 8 or 9 pairs of them.

I am a bit disappointed with the lone peak wear. I think the Superior upper may wear better even though it is thinner. My only hesitation in saying this is that I wear the Lone Peaks on tougher routes such as the Wind Route High Route. Those type of routes may be the reason the Lone Peaks were tore up.

New LP 3.5 due out late June and Olympus 2.5 this month....supposedly more durable....per Altra

Deacon
04-05-2017, 10:56
End of the day the Altra feel much better on my feet than anything else so I'm going to try the Olympus 2.0 and worse case fix the delam myself as haven't had a blister since switching to them....Dam the O 2.0 are fugly! They better be comfy!

I tried the Olympus and thought the cushioning was so thick that they felt too spongy. Just my initial take.

Dogwood
04-05-2017, 12:16
I tried the Olympus and thought the cushioning was so thick that they felt too spongy. Just my initial take.

The max cush was venturing into unfamiliar territory for me too. They initially felt just as you say "too spongy" in the store. But after accustoming to max cush in off trail use with some of the HOKAS and with two pr of HOKA's trail runners going to the wider toe box and forefoot sole of the max cush zero drop mid 20 something stack height models of the Altras I quickly not only adapted but are thriving in the Altras. I still don't like the Altra lightest cushioning lowest stack heights for this reason though like the Superiors. They feel almost like minimalist trail runners maybe great(for me) for when wanting to "feel" the trail better but still too flat. To each their own but I like the cush because I'm spending 14-16 hrs a day hiking. With previous shin splint and knee tendon issues the cush helps soften the impact and in use starts to flatten in shortish order. One thing I definitely don't sense with the max cush Altras is a a too high teetering feeling.

saltysack
04-05-2017, 12:26
I've had a knee issue so definitely want to try the max cushion and the tougher vibram sole should be lil tougher....I would have never thought going back to LaSportiva wildcats would feel tight...once you wear altra they got ya for life....good business model.....cradle to grave!

JC13
04-05-2017, 13:44
I've had a knee issue so definitely want to try the max cushion and the tougher vibram sole should be lil tougher....I would have never thought going back to LaSportiva wildcats would feel tight...once you wear altra they got ya for life....good business model.....cradle to grave!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI am starting to be glad I decided to go with the new vasque trail runners as I was pretty much set on moving to altras.