PDA

View Full Version : New gear

CRC
04-03-2017, 18:23
I just did my first backpacking trip. One night on the AT. I loved it and am planning my next trip for sometime in May. I figured out that weight really does matter though, so I am looking to upgrade the older gear that I was carrying. I am planning on a new sleeping bag and a new pack. Any advice you can give me on how to select decent quality gear would be greatly appreciated.

TTT
04-03-2017, 19:17
There's a correlation between a light wallet and light gear. Use this as an indicator and you are on the right track.

bigcranky
04-03-2017, 20:02
For three season use (i.e., not winter), a well made goose down bag that weighs about 2 pounds is just about right. It will probably be rated to about 30F. There are lots of these.

For packs, something less than 3 pounds with an internal frame. Osprey packs are very popular, as is the ULA Circuit.

Best bet is to find a god outfitter and do some testing for yourself. Good luck and have fun!

fastfoxengineering
04-03-2017, 20:55
The greatest factor is your budget. A lot of good options without breaking the bank. Your backpack and sleeping bag are critical pieces of gear. It doesn't make sense to try and go dirt cheap with these items. A quality packt and sleeping bag are directly proportional to a quality backpacking trip. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It sucks to be cold at night and it sucks even more to have an uncomfortable pack that falls apart on you.

There are alot of great small companies that make excellent backpacking gear. Once again it depends on your budget.

You can typically find good second hand deals as well. Lots of catch and release type items on the for sale forum here.

For the money. It's tough to beat ULA, Osprey, or Gossamer Gear for packs. They're very popular for a reason.

So how about a budget?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
04-03-2017, 21:23
Buy sleeping bag, pad, tent, etc first. Gather cookware, clothes, water, anticipated food, etc. Then buy pack that it all fits and carries the weight well in.

Maineiac64
04-03-2017, 21:26
Zpacks should sell a starter kit for a package discount, pack, bag, tent, ....there were lots on the AT in GA this weekend.

Actually it is interesting to read Joe's adventures with gear lists.

map man
04-03-2017, 21:30
Regarding sleeping bags, for the most warmth for the least weight in down bags it's hard to beat Western Mountaineering:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sleeping-bags/specification-chart/

If you prefer a quilt, whether synthetic or down, it's hard to beat Enlightened Equipment (again for outstanding warmth to weight ratio):

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/quilts/

My preference in backpacks is the line from ULA. Which ULA depends on how much weight you plan to carry:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/category_s/1836.htm

I am assuming you are willing to pay for quality.

Venchka
04-04-2017, 00:50
Educate yourself. All sleeping bags are not built alike. Internal dimensions differ. Inner and outer shell fabrics differ. Loft, thickness of down over your body keeps you warm. Many companies don't mention loft. Avoid them.
Bottom line: Everyone's different. There are hot, warm, neutral and cold sleepers. The clothes you sleep in matter in terms of temperature ratings. Real world testing is the only way to know if your bag will perform as needed.
Good luck!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHILL_TX
04-04-2017, 02:20
You'll quickly learn that there are a couple items you can upgrade and shave several lbs right away. Shelter, sleeping bag, sleeping pad... but don't upgrade to an ultralight pack until your whole system is sus'ed out and your base weight is low enough.

Weigh everything. Enter the weights into an online pack weight calculator. Target the items you can upgrade and maximize weight loss. Worry about cutting the handle off of your toothbrush after you've upgraded your 6lb tent.

cmoulder
04-04-2017, 08:45
Before you buy anything, check out all of Mike Clelland's videos on youtube! ;)

A good 'starter' video is THIS ONE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4O_I22rKp0) which gives an overview of pack contents.

ALSO, look for Stick's (Chad Poindexter) videos and blog, and there are many others....

Rmcpeak
04-04-2017, 09:08
Pick two: light, cheap, durable.

TTT
04-04-2017, 09:38
Here's another video that might assist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdBIcxKSIo

CRC
04-04-2017, 12:02
Thank you all for the information!

So, it looks like I should concentrate on a new sleep system first (from the look of the prices I am seeing - my budget won't allow for a new pack and sleep system) I was very interested in the idea of a quilt - for some reason I thought they were only for hammock users. Seems much more comfortable than a sleeping bag. I am guessing I would need to upgrade my sleep pad too though. Any ground sleepers here use a quilt? Does it work well for you? What kind of pad would you recommend?

C-shell
04-04-2017, 12:27
I used a 20 degree down quilt from Underground Quilts. I am a side sleeper and I toss and turn all night so this was more comfortable than a sleeping bag for me. I used a thermarest neoair x-therm. I was comfortable from the end of March until the middle of September.

Slo-go'en
04-04-2017, 14:47
I'm still not sold on quilts. For one thing, their wicked expensive. Check out Lafumma down bags for a decent bag for a decent price. 40 degree if your a fair weather, summer camper. 30 degree if you want to extend the season into spring and fall.

There are a number of decent 2 pound or less tents for about $250 available. My current favorite is the Six Moon Design Skyscape "Trekker".

CRC
04-04-2017, 16:32
I used a 20 degree down quilt from Underground Quilts. I am a side sleeper and I toss and turn all night so this was more comfortable than a sleeping bag for me. I used a thermarest neoair x-therm. I was comfortable from the end of March until the middle of September.

Did you use a down hood or just a beanie or balaclava?

Spencer828
04-04-2017, 17:42
I've got a Zpacks arc blast for sale, it's an ultralight backpack. Pm me if you're interested👍🏼

CRC
04-05-2017, 09:21
I've got a Zpacks arc blast for sale, it's an ultralight backpack. Pm me if you're interested����

I saw that when I was browsing the gear for sale sub-forum. Unfortunately, I am a very short, scrawny old lady so I don't think your pack would work :(

LadyBugg
04-05-2017, 09:29
I saw that when I was browsing the gear for sale sub-forum. Unfortunately, I am a very short, scrawny old lady so I don't think your pack would work :(

Try eBay. I've found some good deals on returned goods. I wouldn't consider them ultralight, but light enough to be budget friendly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

la.lindsey
04-05-2017, 10:19
Thank you all for the information!

So, it looks like I should concentrate on a new sleep system first (from the look of the prices I am seeing - my budget won't allow for a new pack and sleep system) I was very interested in the idea of a quilt - for some reason I thought they were only for hammock users. Seems much more comfortable than a sleeping bag. I am guessing I would need to upgrade my sleep pad too though. Any ground sleepers here use a quilt? Does it work well for you? What kind of pad would you recommend?

I use a quilt in the summer and sometimes the shoulder seasons. I sleep cold and only use a CCF pad (lazy), so it's really a warm weather thing for me. I do love it for that, though, and it does work reasonably well in colder weather, especially if I'll actually use a pad with a decent R value (x therm).

I got an Enlightened Equipment 32* quilt from their garage sale, so it wasn't a bad price. Check around for deals. Or, actually, I may consider selling that because I'm changing my summer set up. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
04-05-2017, 12:27
Quilts are great, at least for me. Lots of room to move around, and plenty warm enough when tucked in. I have a 40F Jacks R Better for summer use, and we just got a 20F two-person quilt from Enlightened Equipment.

I don't see that quilts are more expensive than comparable high end sleeping bags. My EE quilt is just as well made as my Western Mountaineering bags, and was much less expensive.

A good warm sleeping pad is crucial gear.