PDA

View Full Version : Ny-ct-ma

woodsman
04-03-2017, 21:48
Is 16 days possible for these 220 miles?

rafe
04-03-2017, 22:08
I think it's a tad longer than that but of course depends on just where you intend to jump on or off. None of it is particularly difficult terrain, though you can still expect 2000-3000 feet of vertical change on any given day.

IMO if you know your stuff and are reasonably fit, 12-15 miles per day is quite reasonable in those three AT states. Those are ballpark figures, what worked for me as a not very athletic fifty-something.

Slo-go'en
04-03-2017, 23:13
Assuming the end point is Williamstown, MA, 220 miles south means you plan to get on at Greenwood Lake? If so, your in for a rough start, as that section of trail has a nick name - agony grind -18 miles of non stop rock scrambles. The first few are fun, but it very quickly becomes a grind. The good news is once past that and across the Hudson, it becomes much easier for a while and is a pleasant walk in the woods.

220 miles / 16 days is just shy of 14 miles a day average. That's a realistic pace for someone in decent shape starting out. Expect to do some 20 mile days to maintain that average. Only you can judge if your up to that.

cdk4091
04-04-2017, 09:21
Did that section last year, mostly shuttling and slack-packing, at a modest pace in 21 days. Slo-go'en is right about the "grind"!

rafe
04-04-2017, 11:00
"The grind" is really only a day. More of an aggravation than anything, much like the "roller coaster" in northern Virginia. A series of steep 400, 500 foot climbs back to back... with not much to show for it at the end of the day.

Rain Man
04-04-2017, 12:46
Is 16 days possible for these 220 miles?

Sure it is, for a fit hiker. So, it's not a question anyone can answer for you without knowing about the hiker side of the equation.

I just did CT and MA last May, and finished NY the year before. NY was surprisingly challenging, as it appears flat on profile maps, but those "little" bumps are sharp and constant.

Gambit McCrae
04-04-2017, 12:50
This thread has gotten me excited. Not the exact plan, but I plan to do Salisbury south to DWG over 12 days or so. I think my MPD come out to about 15. Which I can normally do some consistent 20s so I hope to earn myself a zero or 2 in some boiling springs type towns.

linus72
04-04-2017, 13:37
finished NY last year and as all above have stated those little bumps south of harriman are more than they seem, especially the second one north of little dam lake up buchanan mtn if going nobo. yowza. thought i was in the whites for a minute. the one with the ladder near greenwood lake aint nothin. agony grind itself is one set of three features up arden mtn southbound. sounds a lot harder than it is. maybe in the rain or snow its tough but its that little blip up buchanan mtn that caught us completely by surprise. looked like nothing on the profile. but fun! and piece of cake for any experienced person. have fun! and im biased but the trail in my home state of CT is pretty awesome too.

linus72
04-04-2017, 14:30
sorry, meant to say this climb up buchanan is south of little dam lake going nobo

Malto
04-04-2017, 14:50
Wow, all this talk of grinds on the AT in NY. I don't remember anything grinding other than the area near Greenwood lake and that is only because it was icy trail. CT is very simple and Mass was well. Unfortunately nobody has any idea of your desire, ability or style to know whether you can do this. But, if you are even close to decent fitness I would expect you to be able to do this in that time frame.

coach lou
04-04-2017, 15:41
Wow, all this talk of grinds on the AT in NY. I don't remember anything grinding other than the area near Greenwood lake and that is only because it was icy trail. CT is very simple and Mass was well. Unfortunately nobody has any idea of your desire, ability or style to know whether you can do this. But, if you are even close to decent fitness I would expect you to be able to do this in that time frame.

What Greg said!

Slo-go'en
04-04-2017, 16:25
Wow, all this talk of grinds on the AT in NY. I don't remember anything grinding other than the area near Greenwood lake...

How easy it is to forget the pain. I remember because it was less then a year ago and it was a hot and humid week through that area, which added to the misery.