PDA

View Full Version : Like scouts for grown ups

Greenlight
04-04-2017, 09:57
Looking for ideas here. I've started a group that is like scouts for grown ups, and I'm trying to nail down a rank structure that members attain by progressively building up a solid set of outdoor skills. Looking for ideas for the proper skill progression. I'm thinking LNT, wilderness first aid, hygiene, orienteering with both GPS and map/compass, common knots, seasonal clothing and gear selection, outdoor cooking, etc. Feel free to chime in with advice. Would also love it if experienced WB members gave permission to use tutorial YouTube vids, etc. also. I'm having fun with this. Link in sig line.

orthofingers
04-04-2017, 10:25
Firelighting, fire building, friction firelighting, bird identification, tree and plant identification, wild edibles, primitive shelter building (kind do hard to practice that one unless you have access and permission to some land), knife axe and saw skills, etc.

If you search on YouTube for "Bushcraft Skills" or "Survival Camping" or the like, there will be hundreds of videos that will come up. Two YouTube channels that I've enjoyed are Paul Kirtley (he runs a bushcraft school in England and has tons of content on his website and on YouTube) and "Survival Russia" on YouTube (he's a crazy Danish guy who now lives in Russia and I'd say he's the real deal when it comes to winter survival in very cold conditions)

Greenlight
04-04-2017, 11:04
Thanks for the input!

ChuckT
04-04-2017, 11:16
Trail ediq

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ChuckT
04-04-2017, 11:16
Oh Rolf anyway. Try that again.

ChuckT
04-04-2017, 11:42
Trail etiquette, trail protocol, trip planning and preperation, conditioning and exercise, logging and communicating, post trip debriefing.

Greenlight
04-04-2017, 11:54
Trail etiquette, trail protocol, trip planning and preperation, conditioning and exercise, logging and communicating, post trip debriefing.

Awesome,thanks!

illabelle
04-04-2017, 12:01
I don't have anything to add, just encouragement. It seems like so many people lose their interest in learning when they become adults. But developing new skills, earning recognition, striving for achievement - not only are those valuable in themselves, but they're a great way to model the attitude towards learning that we wish for young people to have.

I applaud your efforts and wish you well.

Greenlight
04-04-2017, 12:06
I think the same thing, and I appreciate your encouragement!

I don't have anything to add, just encouragement. It seems like so many people lose their interest in learning when they become adults. But developing new skills, earning recognition, striving for achievement - not only are those valuable in themselves, but they're a great way to model the attitude towards learning that we wish for young people to have.

I applaud your efforts and wish you well.

tarditi
04-04-2017, 12:19
How about volunteering with youth and teaching/sharing these skills? Girl Scouts ALWAYS need female leaders, Boy Scouts, Venture Crews, and other youth organizations can always benefit from volunteer leadership - even if not as a dedicated, uniformed leader for a den or troop.

I've gotten way more personal benefit from being a scout leader than all of the mountaineering, outdoor skills, and survival training I've attended combined. What is often overlooked is that the outdoors is simply the classroom - the lessons are in the patrol method of leadership and development of character.

Sticking to topic, get a Boy Scout handbook and use that as a guide, you can also purchase merit badge guidebooks for more intensive study.
Most of the outdoors-related skills:

First Aid (basic lifesaving, wilderness first aid), land navigation, orienteering, search & rescue, canoeing, kayaking, communications/signaling, rock climbing, knot-tying, wilderness survival, swimming, lifesaving, nature study, etc.

colorado_rob
04-04-2017, 12:25
Here's a link to the Colorado Mountain club's "Wilderness Trekking School", with a syllabus and a PDF manual. This is a pretty cool "beginner" outdoor class teaching many of those things you mention in the OP, just another reference for you:

Overview:

http://hikingdenver.net/firstpage/wts/overview-of-wts

Student Manual:

http://hikingdenver.net/firstpage/wts/student-manual

The CO Mountain Club is pretty much exactly like "Boy scouts"(or girl scouts) for grown ups.

Greenlight
04-04-2017, 12:46
Thanks tarditi! I've volunteered in Scouting in the past, and I'm an Eagle Scout myself, so I know they're always looking for good leaders. Thats why I want this group to "template over" whatever else the individuals are doing. IT will make them better leaders, more experienced outdoors, and of more benefit to the kids they're being a mentor for. But there are those who don't want to volunteer, too. It should be equally rewarding for anyone who puts effort into it. And you are right, the leadership and teamwork skills those organizations embody can truly be life changers for the kids.

How about volunteering with youth and teaching/sharing these skills? Girl Scouts ALWAYS need female leaders, Boy Scouts, Venture Crews, and other youth organizations can always benefit from volunteer leadership - even if not as a dedicated, uniformed leader for a den or troop.

I've gotten way more personal benefit from being a scout leader than all of the mountaineering, outdoor skills, and survival training I've attended combined. What is often overlooked is that the outdoors is simply the classroom - the lessons are in the patrol method of leadership and development of character.

Sticking to topic, get a Boy Scout handbook and use that as a guide, you can also purchase merit badge guidebooks for more intensive study.
Most of the outdoors-related skills:

First Aid (basic lifesaving, wilderness first aid), land navigation, orienteering, search & rescue, canoeing, kayaking, communications/signaling, rock climbing, knot-tying, wilderness survival, swimming, lifesaving, nature study, etc.

Greenlight
04-04-2017, 12:48
colorado_rob,

This is excellent, thank you.

Here's a link to the Colorado Mountain club's "Wilderness Trekking School", with a syllabus and a PDF manual. This is a pretty cool "beginner" outdoor class teaching many of those things you mention in the OP, just another reference for you:

Overview:

http://hikingdenver.net/firstpage/wts/overview-of-wts

Student Manual:

http://hikingdenver.net/firstpage/wts/student-manual

The CO Mountain Club is pretty much exactly like "Boy scouts"(or girl scouts) for grown ups.

skater
04-04-2017, 17:40
How to load and adjust a backpack, including some of the essentials to pack.

Mags
04-04-2017, 22:18
I've started a group that is like scouts for grown ups, and I'm trying to nail down a rank structure that members attain by progressively building up a solid set of outdoor skills.

US miltary for some of the roles? :D

Greenlight
04-05-2017, 09:50
Mags,

Or spoofs thereof...that is a possibility. Thanks!

US miltary for some of the roles? :D

ChuckT
04-05-2017, 10:24
I'm puzzled. If the OP want suggestions for rank names / titles I'd go for the Junior Woodchuck titles, always wanted to meet an official B.L.O.W.H.A.R.D (have met plenty of un-official ones).
Or are Categories for Skill Levels sought? If the latter, and we are talking _senior_ life skills (yes?) maybe BLOWHARD does qualify? (Firmly tongue in cheek here.)

rashamon12
04-05-2017, 11:11
as a life scout i would recommend considering most of the things in actual scouts for those who missed out as a kid. If than after a set point develop more advanced skills that branch into more survival and life skill areas. I would say an important goal should be to make the individuals completly self sufficiant in both the wilderniss (with bushcraft and minimal gear) and regular every day life. Awareness of gear and such should be included too. Just my opinion and possible ideas. BEST of LUCK!

perdidochas
04-05-2017, 14:08
Looking for ideas here. I've started a group that is like scouts for grown ups, and I'm trying to nail down a rank structure that members attain by progressively building up a solid set of outdoor skills. Looking for ideas for the proper skill progression. I'm thinking LNT, wilderness first aid, hygiene, orienteering with both GPS and map/compass, common knots, seasonal clothing and gear selection, outdoor cooking, etc. Feel free to chime in with advice. Would also love it if experienced WB members gave permission to use tutorial YouTube vids, etc. also. I'm having fun with this. Link in sig line.

Speaking as a Scout leader, (and borrowing some from later posters), you need to add things like the 5 Ws of site selection (water, weather, wildlife, wind, widow-makers), etiquette (hiking, fishing, etc.), knots, fire building, knife sharpening, sanitation, bear bag hanging, etc.

Greenlight
04-05-2017, 14:33
Speaking as a Scout leader, (and borrowing some from later posters), you need to add things like the 5 Ws of site selection (water, weather, wildlife, wind, widow-makers), etiquette (hiking, fishing, etc.), knots, fire building, knife sharpening, sanitation, bear bag hanging, etc.

Awesome, TY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gwschenk
04-05-2017, 16:24
Cigarette Butt Disposal, Flattening Beer Cans, Planting TP Bulbs, Fake Service Dog Training and most importantly Partying Til You Puke In Town.

Greenlight
04-05-2017, 16:39
Are we describing the "crunge" merit badge? LOL

ChuckT
04-05-2017, 16:40
Crunge? I'm up for that one!

4eyedbuzzard
04-05-2017, 17:59
...It seems like so many people lose their interest in learning when they become adults. But developing new skills, earning recognition, striving for achievement - not only are those valuable in themselves, but they're a great way to model the attitude towards learning that we wish for young people to have.

I applaud your efforts and wish you well.Just to play Devil's Advocate: Those who have a true interest in learning always seem to do so. I don't think it's a lack of external organization or recognition that holds adults back. It's an interesting concept. But how many adults want that high a degree of structure/organization in what is their recreational time? Ranks and badges - and maybe even leading to rules and oaths - and, and, getting voted or even ordered off the island? Hiking clubs are about as much formal organization as many would desire.

Greenlight
04-05-2017, 18:28
Just to play Devil's Advocate: Those who have a true interest in learning always seem to do so. I don't think it's a lack of external organization or recognition that holds adults back. It's an interesting concept. But how many adults want that high a degree of structure/organization in what is their recreational time? Ranks and badges - and maybe even leading to rules and oaths - and, and, getting voted or even ordered off the island? Hiking clubs are about as much formal organization as many would desire.

I think it will find a niche. Keep it fun, and entertaining and quirky and some will love it. Thanks!

Secondmouse
04-05-2017, 18:40
have you ever heard of Bushcraftusa.com? they have a curriculum with certifications based on, well, bushcraft. much of this stuff canme directly from the Scouting manuals.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/bushclass-index.27234/

kestral
04-06-2017, 21:56
Great idea!

I was a webelos leader when my son was young (webelos stands for "we be loyal scouts" for those poor souls not in the know).

The kids started off throwing candy wrappers and being afraid of a little unknown rustle. The young men ended up with Leave No Trace and a calm confidence in being outside on a gentle nite. At least that was my main focus!

Different folk will want different things. My mom was into tree identifying, brother liked birds, I liked learning how all of nature fits together and is so interdependent. Ecology,biology, geology. All great.

Greenlight
04-06-2017, 21:58
Great idea!

I was a webelos leader when my son was young (webelos stands for "we be loyal scouts" for those poor souls not in the know).

The kids started off throwing candy wrappers and being afraid of a little unknown rustle. The young men ended up with Leave No Trace and a calm confidence in being outside on a gentle nite. At least that was my main focus!

Different folk will want different things. My mom was into tree identifying, brother liked birds, I liked learning how all of nature fits together and is so interdependent. Ecology,biology, geology. All great.

I want to be sure to keep it diverse at higher ranks to keep interest

colorado_rob
04-07-2017, 08:48
Great idea!

I was a webelos leader when my son was young (webelos stands for "we be loyal scouts" for those poor souls not in the know). . Now it is, didn't used to be, it was previously an acronym for "Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout", the four ranks of cub scouts..... I wonder when it changed? I was a cub in the 60's.....

DSPeabody
04-07-2017, 14:54
Now it is, didn't used to be, it was previously an acronym for "Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout", the four ranks of cub scouts..... I wonder when it changed? I was a cub in the 60's.....

I was a cub in the late 70's. Pretty sure it was still Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout at that time.

CoolBobby
04-07-2017, 15:16
Have you looked at BPSA? Their Rover program is pretty good. I am working on setting up a group here in Central Florida.

Greenlight
04-07-2017, 15:55
This is good stuff, thank you!

Have you looked at BPSA? Their Rover program is pretty good. I am working on setting up a group here in Central Florida.

Just Bill
04-07-2017, 16:23
Actually... I agree with many of the others regarding borrowing from the BSA or flat out copying...
I'm an eagle scout also and found the gist of it pretty good. But maybe just twist it a bit for adults, though I know plenty of people who wished they put more into scouts and they may really enjoy earning their "GED Eagle" after the fact.

I think that would make it easy enough to also help others transition (if they'd like) into working with BSA and GSA in their local area as they would be directly training in things they can pass on seamlessly.

As fer the twist... Mags wrote a recent article on trail libations... such fun badges as trail cocktails, backcountry gourmet, sex in the outdoors, etc might be fun topics too.

Certain wilderness survival (or bushcraft now) skills are NC-17 or too risky for the scouts and would better fit or more easily be covered in an adult setting.

My encouragement to you for sure... too many people are floundering and these skills are wanted by more who are stuck getting useless youtube tutorials rather than solid field craft.

So I say... why reinvent the wheel when you're taking on so much already. Pick up the basics from the BSA and modify as needed.

I'm up in Valparaiso, IN these days and while I really couldn't volunteer too much time... I might be able to do a simple MYOG meeting/tutorial for your group at some point at my sewing shop if you are interested. I always wished that scouts had focused on that more and found it odd that with all the silly crafting we did... that very practical skill was missed. Even if folks don't get into MYOG... having the ability to make a stuff sack or even understand a few basics helps big time with buying gear and/or repairing and maintaining it. I would suggest you find out if you have a sewing machine or someone in your group with local access to such a thing (or a group buy on one) so you could make a badge out of it and perhaps even make some gear for the group.

Anywho- best of luck with the project.

MoeTCrow
04-11-2017, 22:09
Something to think about. But instead of a test to show they learned something perhaps have them teach it to someone or a small group. Knowledge sticks better when it's shared.

Greenlight
04-11-2017, 22:12
Absolutely. Army calls it "see one, do one, teach one." Thanks!

hikehunter
04-12-2017, 01:30
The BSA has a thing called Woodbadge. it is for adult leaders. look at some of that stuff. sounds like something that could work. Good luck.