PDA

View Full Version : waterfalls....

Clementine Lindt
01-26-2006, 03:58
I have been deprived of the visuals of waterfalls... I am new at backpacking, but I plan on doing 2- 5 day trips this year in the appalachians. I was wondering if anyone had any memories of beautiful waterfalls, and remember what trail it was on...

I'm thinking of going to the adirandacks and shennendoah's (sp?) .... any suggestions or other places that are breath taking???

I'm one tuff cookie, dont pamper me cause I'm new :)

feel free to email me as well...

Clementine

Marta
01-26-2006, 08:48
The Foothills Trail in upstate SC is supposed to have excellent waterfalls. I haven't hiked it yet myself, but hope to do some sections on weekends this spring. The section of the AT between Highway 19E and Watauga Lake has some very nice waterfalls.

Seeker
01-26-2006, 11:59
I have been deprived of the visuals of waterfalls... I am new at backpacking, but I plan on doing 2- 5 day trips this year in the appalachians. I was wondering if anyone had any memories of beautiful waterfalls, and remember what trail it was on...

I'm thinking of going to the adirandacks and shennendoah's (sp?) .... any suggestions or other places that are breath taking???

I'm one tuff cookie, dont pamper me cause I'm new :)

feel free to email me as well...

Clementine

this is my first intrusion to the female forum, but i think i can offer some useful advice.

i used to live in knoxville (7 years) and did a lot of walking in the smokies. get hold of the National Geographic Society map for the smokies. every waterfall worth seeing is marked, along with the trails, distances, etc. an elevation chart for the AT is on the back, along with a list of shelters, whether or not they have privies, which ones are people-only (vs 'horses are ok here'), and lots of other useful stuff. it's on some sort of heavy plasticized paper, and won't self-destruct if it gets wet. you might be able to find it at a place like and Eastern Mountain Sports retail outlet. a good bookstore might have it too, or you might be able to order it through them.

good luck.

RLC_FLA
01-26-2006, 12:03
http://www.jjanthony.com/waterfalls/

Here is a link to waterfalls in the N Georgia area, quite comprehensive.

RLC_FLA
GAME->89

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 12:57
The Foothills Trail in upstate SC is supposed to have excellent waterfalls. I haven't hiked it yet myself, but hope to do some sections on weekends this spring. The section of the AT between Highway 19E and Watauga Lake has some very nice waterfalls.

i second the foothills trail. ive hiked it 3 times and enjoy the waterfalls every time. one of my favorites is actually a lesser known, smaller one a little off the trail....spoonauger falls.

d'shadow
12-04-2007, 02:29
there are hundreds of waterfalls throughout the south. Some you can drive to, walk to, hike to, all depends upon what your agenda requires. If you wish to explore north carolina, there are some books I can refer you too:
Waterfalls Of the Blue Ridge: A Hiking guide to the Cascades of the Blue Ridge Mountains by Nicole Blouin, Steve Bordonaro

WAterfalls Of the Blue Ridge 2nd: a Guide to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Great Smoky Mountains National Park by Nicole Blouin

North Carolina Waterfalls: Where to Find them, How to Photograph them by Kevin Adams

Check with Amazon, or just do a engine search on which area you wish to explore and you will come up with web pages, and book offerings galore.

Happy hunting :banana

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 02:33
The AT in Maine has an endless supply of waterfalls!!!!:)

C-Stepper
12-04-2007, 08:24
The Foothills Trail, either a section of it or its entirety, is loaded with waterfalls. The trail is well-marked, campsites are nicely spaced, and the maintaining organization keeps a list of shuttlers. Check out www.foothillstrail.org for more info.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2007, 08:45
If you are after waterfalls, I suggest you visit Transylvania County, NC (http://www.visitwaterfalls.com/). It is called the land of 1,000 waterfalls and the name fits. The closest town is Brevard and it is exceedingly difficult to find lodging there. Hendersonville is about 35 miles away and where you would likely need to stay if you don't plan to camp.

Marta
12-04-2007, 09:56
Weekend before last I hiked the bottom 23 or 24 miles of the Foothills Trail. There are indeed some excellent waterfalls.

MarcnNJ
12-04-2007, 10:24
Try White Oak Canyon trail in the Shenandoahs.....Its in the central district of the park, a little north of Big Meadows.....As always, try to plan your waterfall trips in the spring when water levels should be at their highest....Youll see 6 waterfalls ranging from 30-90ft.....

ki0eh
12-04-2007, 11:35
http://nyfalls.com/

Grumpy Ol' Pops
12-04-2007, 18:37
but I plan on doing 2- 5 day trips this year in the appalachians. I was wondering if anyone had any memories of beautiful waterfalls, and remember what trail it was on...

Clementine
When you get to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, be sure you look for a copy of "Hikes to Waterfalls in Shenandoah National Park." It describes ten different ones, from 28 feet to 93 feet. Ask at the Park entrance when you arrive there. Enjoy the trip!

Lellers
12-10-2007, 10:02
Not a backpacking trip, but if you ever want a simple jaunt to LOTS of waterfalls, try the Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen SP (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/rickettsglen.aspx) in NE Pennsylvania. You'll see 22 waterfalls over a 2 mile loop that covers a 1000' elevation in a mile.

There's no backcountry camping at Ricketts, though, and the place is heavily visited. Stay away from summer weekends when the place is packed and there's less water running over the falls. A mid-week trip in the late spring is very nice, though. I like to go to Ricketts for a one or two day decompression. Will set up in the family camping area along the lake, bring my kayak (especially nice when there's a full moon!), and enjoy paddling and hiking without the carrying.

map man
12-10-2007, 21:32
The Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota has many many waterfalls. Many streams and rivers have to find their way to Lake Superior somehow and they do so by finding the weakest spots in many different kinds of volcanic rock on their way downhill. Since the SHT parallels Lake Superior pretty much every stream valley it descends into has multiple rapids and waterfalls.

Spirit Walker
12-11-2007, 13:14
Just off the AT, Crabtree Falls in VA is very nice in the spring when there's lots of water. There are others in the Shenandoahs, again not far from the AT. I second the suggestion for Rickett's Glen in PA. We've been there in the autumn when the leaves were turning gold - it was a magical experience.

Spirit Walker
12-11-2007, 13:15
If you're willing to travel, go to Glacier NP and/or the Canadian Rockies. Where there are glaciers, there are waterfalls off the glaciers - they are incredible.

JAK
12-11-2007, 13:29
Clementine,

Dont go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that
you're used to. I know that you're gonna have it your way or nothing at all
but I think you re moving too fast.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. Have a blast. :D

Roots
12-11-2007, 13:30
If you are after waterfalls, I suggest you visit Transylvania County, NC (http://www.visitwaterfalls.com/). It is called the land of 1,000 waterfalls and the name fits. The closest town is Brevard and it is exceedingly difficult to find lodging there. Hendersonville is about 35 miles away and where you would likely need to stay if you don't plan to camp.

That's us!!! We are home to over 250 waterfalls just in this county (Transylvania), and that's not including surrounding counties-Henderson, Jackson, Haywood, and the Asheville area. We have a Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Imperial Motor lodge ( I believe the name has changed, but it is still nice), Greystone Inn-downtown...very neat place, at least 2 Bed and Breakfasts downtown that I can think of, and tons of cabin rentals in the area. The best time to be here is in April/May and September/October. But to avoid crowds, try to come during the week days. Definitely go on the website FD listed above, it will help. GOOD LUCK and hope you find your waterfalls!:)