PDA

View Full Version : Hammer toes

greensleep
04-04-2017, 10:17
I will be heading south from Katahdin in June this year. Among other physical issues, I suffer from having 2 "hammer toes" on my right foot. I am able to successfully pad them for my daily training hikes, but know that the rigorous hiking day after day on the trail will be different. Has anyone here had this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?

TX Aggie
04-04-2017, 10:31
I had mild hammer toes in the past, mainly due to wearing boots (western and combat). I was able to release them pretty much completely by simply changing my shoes and spending more time barefoot. If they're bad, I would recommend a podiatrist because you may have structural issues that can't really be addressed on a forum like this without more information on the cause.

Goo luck!

Dogwood
04-04-2017, 12:05
http://www.healthline.com/health/hammer-toe#causes2

Chronic very likely causes are overly tight, pointy toed, too short, and narrow shoes in the toe box and inappropriate footbeds/orthotics especially if you have a high arch. Care should be taken that proper toe box shape is elected particular if you're 2nd or 3rd toes are the longest. Don't let feet slam forward inside overly loose(tied) shoes going downhill... toe bang...which can lead to hammer toes. If you don't address this surgery which is almost always avoidable could be your fate.

TTT
04-04-2017, 18:10
I have seen some top distance runners that make an incision into the top of their shoes to alleviate pressure and correct toe issues. Something to consider...

Whack-a-mole
04-05-2017, 16:23
If hammer toes get too bad, and raise up and stay for too long, the knuckle will lock up. The fix is that the doc will break the knuckle, straighten the toe, put a screw in the knuckle so it will never bend again. A pin will be run through the toe from the end into the foot to keep the toe straight while the whole thing heals. He will also cut the ligaments that pulled the toe up to start with. It is not a fun procedure, and not one that most hammer toes need, I'm just telling you what can happen in a severe case. I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but hammer toes are an odd thing. Some do it a little, and some do it a lot. When it gets so bad that going to the grocery store is a problem, you will know that it is time to do something. My mileage on the AT since December of 2015 is a whopping 10 miles, but it's time to get back at it. I was going to post pics, but it's probably better not to.

Ercoupe
04-06-2017, 06:34
My hammer toe is not to severe. Still I found that instead of padding underneath the foot, which raises the top of the toe joint to the shoe. I cut out a small circle in the insole, under the hurting joint in ball of my foot. This relieves much of the pressure on the ball of the foot. In addition I will use foam tape on the toe to reduce blister formation. Keens voyagers two sizes over my street shoes give me additional room. However, This may not work for two adjacent hammertoes.
My feet still will ache at the end of the day, but I am not hobbling.

English Stu
04-06-2017, 07:13
Injinji socks can help, especially if you also where them or similar when not hiking. Your toes should spread out.

TX Aggie
04-06-2017, 07:57
Injinji socks can help, especially if you also where them or similar when not hiking. Your toes should spread out.

Never thought about that, but it makes sense since wearing FiveFingers helped me with mine.

kestral
04-07-2017, 12:43
I would recommend a podiatrist also. This is not just about hiking but everyday for the rest of your life optimal mobility. You might need to just toss out (donate) some shoes (hiking, work and everyday) that are not helping your feet- even if they are new or still in good shape. My everyday shoes are quark liberty which are super comfy but ugly. I had a fractured vehicular bone which required mid foot fusion and bone grafting, I do well with merril Moab ventilators and a power step insole. Different problem I know but the podiatrist recommended this over a much more expensive custom insole. Good luck to you!

kestral
04-07-2017, 12:46
Navicular not vehicular. Damn you auto correct!

MuddyWaters
04-07-2017, 14:21
Orthotics will correct your hammer toes
Expect to spend $500-1000 to do it, take 6 mo-a yr

Not without discomfort....
Ortho...means....to correct
Thats what real orthotics do
Not support, not cushion
Reshape a malformed foot

Caused by genetically poor feet, poorer footwear

RockDoc
04-07-2017, 14:36
Be sure to use long shoes (at least one size bigger than normal) with a large toebox.

If it's a major problem, there are some open-toe sandals that are suitable for backpacking. I've seen people wearing them in the HMW and they said they worked great. YMMV

egilbe
04-08-2017, 07:59
I had to google hammer toes. Turns out I have a couple. Never had any issues with them, but I like roomy shoes and toe boxes. Maybe if I had purchased my own shoes as a child....

Damn! Now I have something else to blame on my parents when I next talk to my therapist :D