PDA

View Full Version : Approach shoe sizing

devoidapop
04-04-2017, 17:44
If you wear an approach shoe, just for hiking, do you size up or stay with your exact size?

If you size up do they feel clunky?

For reference, I am looking at arcteryx acrux FL. Don't have a local store where I can try them on.

Venchka
04-04-2017, 18:24
I'm curious as well. LaSportiva sizing in their off trail runners is strange. They run really short and narrow.
Approach shoes may be my next adventure. From one of the European companies. The Boulder-X gets good reviews and aren't expensive. I wish I knew how they are sized.
Cheers!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwschenk
04-04-2017, 18:28
Why an approach shoe for the trail?

Venchka
04-04-2017, 19:57
Why not? Especially one biased toward the approach, hiking, and less toward climbing, edging, etc.
Just a thought at the moment. An intellectual exercise.
Wayne

devoidapop
04-04-2017, 20:22
Why not? Especially one biased toward the approach, hiking, and less toward climbing, edging, etc.
Just a thought at the moment. An intellectual exercise.
Wayne

Agreed. Just an option I want to try. The sticky soles, relative lightweight, and strong toe protection are good selling points. If they turn out to be too tight for long miles or too clunky when sized up, I'll keep looking for my dream footwear.

OkeefenokeeJoe
04-04-2017, 21:58
Why not a Going-to-the-Privy shoe, or a Walking-Around-the-Shelter shoe, and let's not forget our Walking-Into-Town shoe, and an Eating-Corn-On-the-Cob shoe .... oh, and a Shopping-Inside-Walmart shoe is an absolute must.

OkeefenokeeJoe

devoidapop
04-04-2017, 22:14
Why not a Going-to-the-Privy shoe, or a Walking-Around-the-Shelter shoe, and let's not forget our Walking-Into-Town shoe, and an Eating-Corn-On-the-Cob shoe .... oh, and a Shopping-Inside-Walmart shoe is an absolute must.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Wasn't talking about an additional shoe in my pack. Talking about wearing an approach shoe for hiking, as clearly stated.

Venchka
04-04-2017, 22:53

OkeefenokeeJoe
That's quite a leap of fantasy.
Wayne

gwschenk
04-04-2017, 23:02
The sticky rubber has a very short tread life, so they seem like the wrong shoe for the application. YMMV

la.lindsey
04-04-2017, 23:07
The sticky rubber has a very short tread life, so they seem like the wrong shoe for the application. YMMV

My ex wore approach shoes for the first half (well, a bit longer than half, but he should have tossed them at half) of his SOBO thru. Seemed to work just fine. I know other hikers who love Salewa, but I'm never patient enough for a break-in period.

Can't help with the sizing. I never got it right.