PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions on area to hike... Need help.

mrsempeel
04-04-2017, 18:04
Hello all! I'm gearing up for a thru hike in 2018. At the end of this coming August myself and a friend want to take about 5-6 days hiking time to do a small part of the trail.

Can anyone suggest an area that would allow us to hike two days/nights, then spend third night in town at a hotel or hostel, then two days/nights back on the trail. I'd prefer north of PA... from PA to Maine, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm not so sure my friend is up for 5-6 straight days on the trail.

And of course the more scenic the better...

Also, have to consider one point needs to be near an airport as we're co in ng in from Minnesota and Michigan.

ANY and ALL help/suggestions are appreciated. I've not hiked any of the trailso I'm not yet real familiar. I have though spent the last two months educating my self on gear, books, YouTube videos and such.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
04-04-2017, 20:19
There are only limited options when an airport is required. By it's nature, there is plenty of car access to the AT, but very limited public transportation.

Flying into DC and hiking around Harpers Ferry would be the easiest, as there is an evening train from DC to Harpers Ferry. There are plenty of other options, but they all get complicated. Fly to Boston, take a bus to NH or western MA? Fly into NYC and take a bus to Delaware water gap or train up into NY? Find some small, regional airport and then arrange to get to the trail from there, either by hiring a shuttle or renting a car?

But why not stay closer to home and avoid all that hassle and expense? There are trails in your neck of the woods too. I hear the Ice Age trail is pretty neat. You could probably arrange to start and stop either side of a town which would have a place to spend one night. This is what you'd have to do coming out to the AT, just harder to arrange. The idea is just to go out and test gear, get some experience and see how it goes, right?

mrsempeel
04-05-2017, 19:49
There are only limited options when an airport is required. By it's nature, there is plenty of car access to the AT, but very limited public transportation.

Flying into DC and hiking around Harpers Ferry would be the easiest, as there is an evening train from DC to Harpers Ferry. There are plenty of other options, but they all get complicated. Fly to Boston, take a bus to NH or western MA? Fly into NYC and take a bus to Delaware water gap or train up into NY? Find some small, regional airport and then arrange to get to the trail from there, either by hiring a shuttle or renting a car?

But why not stay closer to home and avoid all that hassle and expense? There are trails in your neck of the woods too. I hear the Ice Age trail is pretty neat. You could probably arrange to start and stop either side of a town which would have a place to spend one night. This is what you'd have to do coming out to the AT, just harder to arrange. The idea is just to go out and test gear, get some experience and see how it goes, right?

It's to test equipment but to also experience some of the AT. I will be doing Michigan trails off and on all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
04-05-2017, 22:09
It's to test equipment but to also experience some of the AT. I will be doing Michigan trails off and on all summer.

Yea, there is that and I can understand the desire. It's just that doing a 5-6 day trip from afar gets complicated. Mostly it's a matter of how much money your willing to throw at the problem. If that's not an issue, anything is possible.

So, lets look at your requirements. Late August, north of PA, a hostel half way between points, modest daily mileage and accessible by airport.

Southern Vermont would be a good candidate. It's 60 miles of mostly moderate terrian from Williamstown, MA (fly to Boston, bus to Williamstown, arrives in the evening - that will have to be timed just right) to Manchester Center. Get a shuttle back to Williamstown for bus back to Boston (leaves early morning, 9 AM maybe?).

The only problem is there isn't a good way to break up section, the first hostel is in Manchester Center. This is also a very busy time for this section of trail, with lots of thru and LT hikers. If you want to experience the AT shelter scene with hardened hikers, this is the place to go. It's also a nice diverse walk in woods with some good views.

Second on the list would be head south from Williamstown and head into Connecticut. This would also be about 60 miles and it hits the two high points of MA and CT, with a little drudgery in between. No hostels though, so staying off trail is pricy. You will pass a steady stream of thru hikers. Getting to Boston or Hartford for a flight out from Salisbury will take some research.

If you have doubts about your partner being able to go 5-6 days, I'd avoid NH and ME, due to both logistics of getting there and difficulty of trail.

What you really need to do is get a guide book (if you don't already) and sit down with a couple of state maps and figure out what you can make work and do lots of googling of transportation schedules and destinations.

moldy
04-06-2017, 09:12
For my money I would get a round trip ticket to Knoxville Tn and arrange a 2 shuttles, one to drop me off at Newfound Gap and the other to pick me up at either Standing Bear or Davenport Gap. You will be starting out at a pretty good altitude and this section of GSMNP is a good trail.

mrsempeel
04-07-2017, 02:09
For my money I would get a round trip ticket to Knoxville Tn and arrange a 2 shuttles, one to drop me off at Newfound Gap and the other to pick me up at either Standing Bear or Davenport Gap. You will be starting out at a pretty good altitude and this section of GSMNP is a good trail.

Have any idea what the weather would be like there near there near the end of August? Wondering if it would be sweltering hot and humid or if the cool down would have started yet?

mrsempeel
04-07-2017, 02:18
Yea, there is that and I can understand the desire. It's just that doing a 5-6 day trip from afar gets complicated. Mostly it's a matter of how much money your willing to throw at the problem. If that's not an issue, anything is possible.

So, lets look at your requirements. Late August, north of PA, a hostel half way between points, modest daily mileage and accessible by airport.

Southern Vermont would be a good candidate. It's 60 miles of mostly moderate terrian from Williamstown, MA (fly to Boston, bus to Williamstown, arrives in the evening - that will have to be timed just right) to Manchester Center. Get a shuttle back to Williamstown for bus back to Boston (leaves early morning, 9 AM maybe?).

The only problem is there isn't a good way to break up section, the first hostel is in Manchester Center. This is also a very busy time for this section of trail, with lots of thru and LT hikers. If you want to experience the AT shelter scene with hardened hikers, this is the place to go. It's also a nice diverse walk in woods with some good views.

Second on the list would be head south from Williamstown and head into Connecticut. This would also be about 60 miles and it hits the two high points of MA and CT, with a little drudgery in between. No hostels though, so staying off trail is pricy. You will pass a steady stream of thru hikers. Getting to Boston or Hartford for a flight out from Salisbury will take some research.

If you have doubts about your partner being able to go 5-6 days, I'd avoid NH and ME, due to both logistics of getting there and difficulty of trail.

What you really need to do is get a guide book (if you don't already) and sit down with a couple of state maps and figure out what you can make work and do lots of googling of transportation schedules and destinations.

Do you know how "scenic" the area going south from Williamstown is? How about weather that time of year... I'm thinking it shouldn't be too sweltering hot and humid... Not as bad as the south anyway. Wondering how buggy this area of the trail might be?

I was looking at possibly flying in to Albany,NY and then getting a ride to Williamstown and heading South. I know there's a couple Inns between there and Dalton...

lyagooshka
04-07-2017, 19:43
Not sure your skill level, but MD is a pretty nice "start" to getting a feel for the AT.
Go SOBO from the Mason-Dixon.
Depending on experience, can be in Harpers Ferry in 2-3 days.
Pretty "easy" walk in the woods.
Stay at a hostel in HF, then go back, or start there and go NOBO.
Plenty of shuttles and the AT Conservancy is there.
Nice history to boot.
Not too far out of your preferred range.
Otherwise, the bare-tops at Lehigh Gap and into the Delaware Water Gap and into NJ.

Slo-go'en
04-07-2017, 20:27
The AT is 99% hiking in a green tunnel with just the occasional view. But all in all, Massachusetts has a lot of diversity. Quaint New England towns, the memorial light house tower on top of Mt Graylock, some nice woods, old farms, some interesting rock formations, swamps, a "tree line" like walk along an open ridge, a big pond to swim or canoe in (along with free blueberry pancakes and coffee in the morning, donations accepted), a little piece of Middle Earth in Sage Ravine. Damn, I almost want to go back :)

It can start to get nippy in late August. A cold front can drop out of Canada and remind us that fall is on it's way. But for the most part, temps are pleasant, most of the humidity is gone and the air is getting less hazy.

mrsempeel
04-08-2017, 22:36
What's the climb up Mt Greylock like? Is it pretty intense? Not having hiked a lot recently I'm not sure how long the 5 miles or so should take... Any thoughts?

Slo-go'en
04-08-2017, 22:47
What's the climb up Mt Greylock like? Is it pretty intense? Not having hiked a lot recently I'm not sure how long the 5 miles or so should take... Any thoughts?

Could take 5 hours. It's steady climb and steep in places. I've only gone down that way and it wasn't exceptionally memorable. But that's the AT - you go up and you go down - a lot - and very steeply at times.

mrsempeel
04-08-2017, 22:49
Ok that's about what I'm was thinking. Probably going to plan a night at the lodge up there. Should be a nice little break.