PDA

View Full Version : Pa section early July.....misery?

saltysack
04-05-2017, 09:46
My 11 yr old and 2 buds are going to a skateboard camp in Woodward, Pa for a week early July. Debating me driving them and doing a 5 day section while they're at camp then driving us home vs paying $750-800 each with flight and camp shuttle fees. Normally I never hike during July as it's to damn hot and buggy....assume Pa would be the same.....any input appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jupiterkn
04-05-2017, 10:02
My 11 yr old and 2 buds are going to a skateboard camp in Woodward, Pa for a week early July. Debating me driving them and doing a 5 day section while they're at camp then driving us home vs paying $750-800 each with flight and camp shuttle fees. Normally I never hike during July as it's to damn hot and buggy....assume Pa would be the same.....any input appreciated...

Was in PA during July on my 2015 AT through. Very hot for sure and the eastern 1/3 is not much more than rocks. Literally walking on sharp rocks of all sizes and angles. We trekked across the 220 miles of PA in 10 days never the less. I guess we just wanted it to end, ha. The Pinnacle area is pretty cool though. Nice camping spot with a view. Also Lehigh Gap is the Bomb with a big vertical climb with a view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltysack
04-05-2017, 10:11
Was in PA during July on my 2015 AT through. Very hot for sure and the eastern 1/3 is not much more than rocks. Literally walking on sharp rocks of all sizes and angles. We trekked across the 220 miles of PA in 10 days never the less. I guess we just wanted it to end, ha. The Pinnacle area is pretty cool though. Nice camping spot with a view. Also Lehigh Gap is the Bomb with a big vertical climb with a view.

Thanks....kind of what I imagined...think lll likely be flying them and using that week elsewhere....appreciate the info.

earlyriser26
04-05-2017, 10:28
From PA 309 going south is a nice section. It does include the Pinnacle, which I agree is pretty cool. Anything north of 309 is bad news. Trust me, I just finished that part of the trail.

Slo-go'en
04-05-2017, 10:41
Wow. Woodward is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and a goodly distance from the AT. I know hiking in PA in early June was brutal, in July it would be insane. It's suppose to be a really bad tick year too.

saltysack
04-05-2017, 10:50
Wow. Woodward is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and a goodly distance from the AT. I know hiking in PA in early June was brutal, in July it would be insane. It's suppose to be a really bad tick year too.

Thinking I'll pass....kind of what I originally thought but figured I'd ask..ticks plus heat...no thanks

rashamon12
04-05-2017, 11:32
Lived all my life in PA and well yes it can be miserable depending on humidity and how hot it actually gets that year. So yes the odds are It will not be so fun at the time but something worth looking back on and realizing it wasnt that bad. The rocks are brutal but again totally worth the views and good memories obtained especially for the kids if they are able to tough it out.

globetruck
04-05-2017, 11:55
Have you considered the Appalachian highlands in WV? Dolly Sods WV is about 2 hrs south of Pittsburgh, 3.5 hrs west of D.C. It's elevation is about 4000 and is significantly cooler than the lowlands.

saltysack
04-05-2017, 12:03
Have you considered the Appalachian highlands in WV? Dolly Sods WV is about 2 hrs south of Pittsburgh, 3.5 hrs west of D.C. It's elevation is about 4000 and is significantly cooler than the lowlands.

I didn't even think about that great idea...I've heard it's beautiful....less than 4 hours away...

bigcranky
04-05-2017, 12:22
Drop them off and keep driving north. Five days on the AT in Vermont would be nice in July, and only a half days drive away.

jupiterkn
04-05-2017, 12:36
I didn't even think about that great idea...I've heard it's beautiful....less than 4 hours away...

The Ponies and a pretty easy section. Camped right among the ponies very cool.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/e4e683996ce67e7fdd3e515c5cd6cc9f.jpg.

Malto
04-05-2017, 12:52
I would disagree that July is that brutal, can be but I still get out. In fact I did the four state challenge yo yo again last year in July inane I lived to tell about it. If you do end up doing PA, I can do a shuttle if you need it. (The Hershey Hiking Hostel has free shuttles :) ) I'm right smack in the middle near Harrisburg.

PAHiker
04-05-2017, 13:15
If you are going to be at Camp Woodward you are practically on top of the Pennsylvania Mid State Trail so maybe you would consider that unless you are set on the AT. The Mid State crosses PA45 just a couple kilometers east of Woodward at Hairy John Picnic Area. Don't miss out on a stop at Elk Creek Cafe in Millheim while you are in the area.

ranger2012
04-06-2017, 09:21
You could always head up to the Allegheny National Forest and hike some of the NCNST. Its a nice hike and about 10 deg cooler than south east PA.

Jeronimo!
04-06-2017, 10:12
If you do the allegheny route there is plenty of swimming as well

lwhikerchris
04-06-2017, 10:47
Your closest jump-on point would be Duncannon, about 60 miles south of Woodward. July here can be very humid but it can also be very dry; depends on the year. Either way, it will be fun. I might consider doing Duncannon south to Caledonia state park or start at Caledonia and go north to Duncannon. Nice, easy walk through there and you see the AT half way point, 1/2 gallon challenge, AT museum, Fuller Lake, Pole's Steeple, Center Point Knob, Boiling Springs, and the Doyle in Duncannon.

Cheyou
04-06-2017, 14:05
Wow ! Lots of negativity. It's just summer.

Thom

Bubblehead
04-06-2017, 15:05
I'm hiking Pearisburg, Va. to Wingdale NY starting 5/29. figure I'll be doing PA. early to mid July. I'm from Florida....hopefully the heat won't be too bad. Might try some night hiking if it is...

saltysack
04-06-2017, 20:24
Thx for all the great info! I'll be doing some research on the options mentioned. I'll check back in as it gets closer.