PDA

View Full Version : Down puffy or layers?

merakiwild
04-05-2017, 11:19
Hello all- I'm preparing for my thru next March and while I have my gear, I'm stumbling a bit with choosing my clothing. My particular decision is whether to use a down puffy or an efficient layering system. A down puffy, while warm, is relatively useless unless I have a rain cover anyway so my initial thought was just gone in my layering choices to be the most efficient as possible. Is there a system or choice you can defend? I have a mountain hardware rain jacket that I LOVE and is surprisingly warm when paired with my mid weight wool shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe
04-05-2017, 11:49
If you're talking while hiking I you have to be careful with down. Get too hot and sweaty and you can get the down wet and loose much of it's value. Typically, if I hike in a down jacket it's early in the day. Once I get warmed up it comes off and I depend on layers.

bigcranky
04-05-2017, 12:25
I bring a down puffy as one of my layers. It provides the most warmth for the weight of anything out there. I don't wear it while actually hiking....

For a hike in March or April in the Southern Appalachians, I bring a light merino wool base layer (top and bottom), a lightweight fleece pullover, a down puffy, a very light wind shirt, and a rain shell (top and bottom). Mix and match as needed. Works for me.

kestral
04-05-2017, 12:51
Early march in north Georgia I used layering of heat gear stretchy t shirt, LL bean 1/4 zip marino wool mid weight long sleeve top, mont bell down vest, north face wind/ rain jacket, wool hat and wool gloves. I was warm with frost on the ground. Keeping your calories up even when not hungry and a warm drink are important for warmth too. I like layering because it's easy to add subtract as needed.

Best of luck!

Slo-go'en
04-05-2017, 12:58
I'd go with the down puffy. There can be some really cold nights in March, teens are not uncommon.

scope
04-05-2017, 15:25
Packing efficiency? Layering. But there will be times where you rue not bringing the puffy. If you don't, then just don't spend a whole lot of time around camp - setup and get into your quilts, or get up break down and go. Frankly, its a fair amount of mental prep to be able to do that.

dudeijuststarted
04-05-2017, 15:32
A puffy for camp. I prefer a merino wool or synthetic quarter-zip. Changeable baselayers. Cheap frogg-toggs type wind/water layer (these also trap heat like crazy in camp!)

Man I want to go hiking.

Dogwood
04-05-2017, 16:09
Hello all- I'm preparing for my thru next March and while I have my gear, I'm stumbling a bit with choosing my clothing. My particular decision is whether to use a down puffy or an efficient layering system. A down puffy, while warm, is relatively useless unless I have a rain cover anyway so my initial thought was just gone in my layering choices to be the most efficient as possible. Is there a system or choice you can defend? I have a mountain hardware rain jacket that I LOVE and is surprisingly warm when paired with my mid weight wool shirts.

Can you/do you know how to keep your puffy relatively dry and lofted? What's the fabric and treatment of the puffy? Is the down hydrophobic? For example, is your puffy constructed with a Pertex DWRed or other high quality shell? How do you anticipating approaching your thru-hike...as one spending considerable time in camp or stopped wandering around without your backpack on OR hiking in any and all weather? If the latter is anticipated for a March AT NOBO start wanting apparel efficiency and versatility a light wt synthetic insulation piece like a Pat Nano Puff jacket, Pat Nano Air Jacket, TNF Thermoball Jacket, MB Thermawrap jacket , etc or even a synthetic/down insulation combo made from Primaloft Gold(combo of down and synthetic) in a 4 layer system can work. Reduce it to 2 or 3 layers as it warms and drop the accessories. This allows for a piece to sleep in if your aim to rotate it into and out of the hiking apparel mix so NO separate dedicated sleep wear.

For a March start I can see you doing some hiking in an appropriate wt and, as illicited ...down puffy given the correct layering, venting, thermoregulating, and accessorizing(gloves, hat, socks, etc). If an overly warm down puffy or failure on your part to appropriately address any of these aspects the down puffy will largely be a camp piece.

Engine
04-05-2017, 21:01
I bring a down puffy as one of my layers. It provides the most warmth for the weight of anything out there. I don't wear it while actually hiking....

For a hike in March or April in the Southern Appalachians, I bring a light merino wool base layer (top and bottom), a lightweight fleece pullover, a down puffy, a very light wind shirt, and a rain shell (top and bottom). Mix and match as needed. Works for me.
That almost exactly matches my current clothing choices for our thru hike. It has worked very well in extremely unpredictable weather since late February.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DownEaster
04-07-2017, 02:12
My 4-layer approach for the Trail next March 1st(ish) includes a puffy jacket.
base top: Champion polyester long-sleeve wicking T (with "Fresh IQ advanced odor protection")
base bottoms: Weatherproof thermafleece long johns
mid layer top: wool blend button-up shirt (bought at Goodwill)
mid bottoms: L.L. Bean Cresta zip-off pants
insulation layer: L.L. Bean puff jacket
wind/rain layer: Frogg Toggs rain suit
The puffy jacket is for in camp, not (excepting extreme conditions) for hiking; it's also my pillow at night (with a merino wool buff as pillow case) and will probably stay with me. The mid layer shirt is for hiking in colder weather, and is the layer that will get sent home after the Smokies. The Frogg Toggs get used whenever it's wet or windy unless it's also warm, in which case I'd get wet anyway; they don't breathe.

Storm
04-07-2017, 11:00
My last section hike I forgot to pack my down jacket. Was missing it every night. While others were up and about I was cuddled into my sleeping bag to keep warm.
Never wear it while hiking, have always been warm enough when moving with a couple layers and a wind breaker.

merakiwild
04-07-2017, 11:25
Ok I think I'll just buy one. I never thought of a pillow so that was a good point. I plan to do more climbing than hiking after I finish the AT so it'd be useful