PDA

View Full Version : Biggest gear fail

kestral
04-05-2017, 12:24
My worst gear fail was my own damn fault ( like so many thing tend to be on closer inspection).

Got a great deal on a small tent from a neighborhood yard sale. Light weight, 2 walled, airy, great for me and the pup at an incredible price. Set it up easy peasy, no missing pieces, even had a foot print all for about $10. Too good to be true you cynics ask? This was a neighbor who's son had moved across country who had abandoned a bunch of stuff and didn't want it shipped. She wanted her garage back. I even offered to pay more since I really didn't want to take advantage of a neighbor.

first night on my trip it poured and I realized that the tent was demylenated. Yup- stored wrong and the thing was as water proof as a cotton t shirt! Fortunately I was able to hike back to car and snag my usual heavier but waterproof tent and make up the time. After cursing my damn neighbor for 1/2 a night and a morning I realized she had no idea the tent was damaged and I had to find a mirror to blame that idiot. That tent has since spent happy years as a kids fair weather play tent- well worth the $10.

fastfoxengineering
04-05-2017, 19:09
What brand is it?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Captain Bluebird
04-05-2017, 19:43
Osprey Hydration Pac. Out for a week section hiking, darn thing leaked all over my dry clothes and I couldn't fill all the way during the whole trip.... I had it just over a year, therefore could not return to my local REI. No more hydration bladders for me!

kestral
04-05-2017, 23:33
What brand is it?

The tent was an old msr hubba Hubba Nice tents that I have used before, just somebody stored this wet in a warm dark place. As I understand it, a mold can grow which destroys the waterproofing attached to the nylon. Need to air out your tents before long storage. This one had been in a humid (Florida) garage for about 4 years. Msr makes a great tent, any brand will fail if not cared for properly.

kestral
04-05-2017, 23:46
[QUOTE=kestral;2141280. the tent was demylenated

Meant to say delaminated. Doh!

TX Aggie
04-06-2017, 00:24
[QUOTE=kestral;2141280. the tent was demylenated

Meant to say delaminated. Doh!

Demylenated will make for shot nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
04-06-2017, 00:33
My worst gear fail was my own damn fault ( like so many thing tend to be on closer inspection).

Got a great deal on a small tent from a neighborhood yard sale. Light weight, 2 walled, airy, great for me and the pup at an incredible price. Set it up easy peasy, no missing pieces, even had a foot print all for about $10. Too good to be true you cynics ask? This was a neighbor who's son had moved across country who had abandoned a bunch of stuff and didn't want it shipped. She wanted her garage back. I even offered to pay more since I really didn't want to take advantage of a neighbor.

first night on my trip it poured and I realized that the tent was demylenated. Yup- stored wrong and the thing was as water proof as a cotton t shirt! Fortunately I was able to hike back to car and snag my usual heavier but waterproof tent and make up the time. After cursing my damn neighbor for 1/2 a night and a morning I realized she had no idea the tent was damaged and I had to find a mirror to blame that idiot. That tent has since spent happy years as a kids fair weather play tent- well worth the $10.

My own fault too. Your neighbor must have bought my GF's tent. Relied on a college GF's tent on a Del Water Gap camp, short hike, and boat fishing trip. First it had holes in the floor. Second I never checked it out pre trip despite knowing heavy thunderstorms were possible. Third set it up in a depression. Only good thing was we slept on a 5" thick blow up mattress. Woke in the morning both totally naked with every stitch of clothing sopping wet floating on it in 4" of water inside the tent. It was one of those nights with torrential downpours and lightning strikes all around. Packed up in the rain sopping wet. She drove home in her panties and bra and me in a wrung out towel both muddy wet like we are involved in a wet wrestling match. Got a really really bad case of poison ivy on that trip giving it to my GF in her nether regions. We laughed our asrses off all the way back home wondering what we'd tell the police officer if we were pulled over. Next day we used a water pump and hair dryer to drain and dry her car out. That was a great trip!

Dogwood
04-06-2017, 00:46
At one of the Whiteout Canyon waterfalls in SNP saw a guy nonchalantly totally relying on one of his trekking poles with all his weight balanced on it right next to a slick steep muddy fall off just to the side of the trail in an all day rain yakking with a couple. I thought wow he's really relying on that carbon stick. Suddenly the trekking pole broke and he tumbled shoulder first down the slope being stopped from hitting a large pile of rock only by a 3" diam. cut sappling he landed on. It was a nasty fall. I thought he had really gotten hurt but he managed to get back up to the lip of the trail thread where he picked up his shirt revealing a partially pierced abdomen and 4" gash on his arm.

fastfoxengineering
04-06-2017, 06:38
I was saw my buddy try and cook a mountain House biscuits and gravy in a 700Ml ti mug by just dumping the contents into a stove on high and some boiling water.

Shoulda read the directions before buying it.... Or using it.

He still has scorched food stuck to that pot till this day

I sat across the camp laughing eating lasagna

Tipi Walter
04-06-2017, 08:19
Gear fails? Everything fails with enough use and over time. I regard tents as disposable items---and needing replacement periodically. As I always suggest---When you find a piece of gear, especially a tent, you really like---buy four of them because the product will be discontinued in the next few years. North Face and Mt Hardwear is notorious for making excellent tents that have been discontinued and are no longer available.

But even so, a tent is a disposable item like socks or boots or whatever else. Zipper failure, pinholes in fly/floor, UV damage etc.

Leo L.
04-06-2017, 08:48
It had happened in the very early 80ties when I saw at a flea market the first free standing dome shaped tent of my life. Shining blue.
The vendor told me that it was brand-new, a gift from a local sports shop and he was supposed to sell it for the just little below the official price, to get the best benefit for the charity the flea market was run for.
And he told me a sum that made almost half of my monthly income.
But hey, it was the first magic dome shape - I gave myself a hard push and bought it.
I hid it from my family a bit to get not laught at, for beeing so stupid to buy such expensive stuff.

Days later a guy from the charity came up, thanked me heartfully and gave me back 3/4th of the sum.
The vendor had made an evil joke by telling a phantasy number 4 times higher, just for the fun of it.

I've used this tent for my first motorcycle desert travel, it was really perfect for setup at the beach, to provide privacy with my GF, and to keep the moskitoes out.
Later I used it for a solo trip to Scandinavia, and there it never failed to collect every single drop of rain and keep it safely inside the almost-waterproof baththub floor.
End of life came soon when one of the fiberglass pole cracked in a wind that was far from a storm.

It was then when I went from a tent back to a huge sheet of plastic to build a sleep system a homeless maybe would laugh at.

johnspenn
04-06-2017, 08:55
My biggest gear fails have been the pieces of gear I forgot to bring. Lists, people! They work but only if you use them!

Tipi Walter
04-06-2017, 09:00
And then there are gear fails from brand new items directly out the big box store door---think Ozark Trail tents. Total pieces of crap.

MuddyWaters
04-06-2017, 09:06
Gear fails? Everything fails with enough use and over time. I regard tents as disposable items---and needing replacement periodically. As I always suggest---When you find a piece of gear, especially a tent, you really like---buy four of them because the product will be discontinued in the next few years. North Face and Mt Hardwear is notorious for making excellent tents that have been discontinued and are no longer available.

But even so, a tent is a disposable item like socks or boots or whatever else. Zipper failure, pinholes in fly/floor, UV damage etc.

+

When I read worries about life of gear, I think "someones buying something that they probably shouldnt"

All gear is disposeable

DuneElliot
04-06-2017, 09:07
Not really a gear fail but something that made me think twice...fleece base layer in a grass meadow. It was almost impossible not to be covered in seed pods from the knee down when I had to walk to take care of business. I'm still not sure I got all the grass seeds out. It made me re-think my baselayer. I still like the fleece but maybe not for mid-July/early August.

Leo L.
04-06-2017, 09:36
My biggest gear fails have been the pieces of gear I forgot to bring. Lists, people! They work but only if you use them!

On a solo desert trip a few years ago, I carried food supplies for 10 days, one Travellunch per evening included, the one meal per day I really ejoy.
The first day was busy with flight etc. and after leaving the taxi I just went a few km into the desert for a nice camp spot, and fell right into the bag, exhausted.
Next morning I left at dawn without breakfast (as usual) and enjoyed the solo walk out into the unknow.
While my mind wandered free from one to the next it suddenly hit me like a flash: I've forgotten my spoon!
Walking back to get a spoon was no option. Eating a Travellunch without a spoon is impossible. Walking for 10 days without eating my main staple would kill me.

So I kept on walking and let my mind focus on a substitute for the spoon.
Found some beautiful pieces of wood and had the idea to carve one - but the wood was iron-hard acacia, impossible to carve with my tiny Swiss knife.
Found and skipped various other items, flat stones, a piece of a camel rib, etc.
Tired, disappointed and angry I finally sat for an late afternoon break near a small water place.
As usual, the ground was littered with left irrigation hoses, I stared at, even more angry about those stupid careless people.
And suddenly the bulb cam on:
Took a piece of 3/4inch plastic hose, and whitteled, carved, melted and formed a beautiful spoon out of it.
Which served me perfectly fine for the rest of my solo trip.

My wife joined me at the end of the solo trip, and we had some relaxed days together in a seaside camp. The story of the forgotten spoon gave us hours of laughing.
We then continued for a round trip covering five more desert days (she had brought supplies for this purpose - including more Travellunch).
The first evening out, we realized that she had forgotten her spoon, too.
So the plastic pipe mockup spoon had to serve us both, which was fine.
And from now on I carry it in my emergencies bag on all my trips.

gwschenk
04-06-2017, 09:48
My only equipment failure has been my brain.

Tipi Walter
04-06-2017, 10:06
I've been on a couple long trips whereby my spoon breaks (crappy lexan)---even a sea to summit long-handled metal spoon broke in two once. Point is, I always bring two spoons on every trip, otherwise I use a stick to slurp up food.

Here are some recent gear failures---

This was a pair of Limmer lightweight boots which failed miserably in the field when the welt thread broke apart and the soles started peeling off. After I sent them to New Hampshire for repair (cost $90), they returned them and in two weeks the glued heels starting coming off.

Like a retardant idiot I paid $35 for just four MSR titanium carbon fiber stakes and after two months of use one snapped in half for no reason. True pieces of crap.

On a very recent trip I stepped on my Mystery Ranch hipbelt buckle and it snapped---but I always bring a spare.

The insoles on my fairly new Zamberlan boots are starting to wear thru---never happened on my cheaper Asolo insoles.

My old PUR Hiker water filter pump handles breaks routinely because it's made with a tiny plastic weld holding it together.

Snapped in half tooth brush and melted together to get thru a trip.

I've been thru many Sangean radios---this one freaked out on me during a trip and went all haywire so I pulled it apart and crushed it with a rock.

A minor Mystery Ranch pack buckle breaks. Always carry a spare anyway.

Very crappy Asolo 520s. It started with the heels pulling apart and by the next trip to Mt Rogers I discovered this wonderful sight---

Asolo Fugitive boots just 3 months old and brand new---started pulling apart.

My backpacking pruners snapped in half during a trip---Corona pieces of crap.

Not my first rodeo with a delaminating Thermarest---probably my 6th or 7th experience. Really sucks on a trip as in this case.

gwschenk
04-06-2017, 10:11
^^ Asolos fit me well, but they fall apart quick. And I was pretty sure the only pair of Zamberlan's I've had were going to kill me.

Leo L.
04-06-2017, 10:34
Super pics, Walter.
Maybe you should patent Thermarest's integrated self-inflating pillow?

Had the hipbelt buckles break on my old heavy Lowe Cerro Torre and always carry a spare.

One epic gear fail we encountered on a desert trip in 2010:
My friend, new on this type of hiking, asked me about which shoes to use. He showed me several boots, trainers, runners, and - Adidas Jogging High II. Old, but good as new. The perfect desert shoe.
We did our hike, 10 days of walking through wadies, hiking over passes and scrambling high mountains. Really great stuff.
Just a few hours from our goal, a rest house on the rim of civilisation, while slogging along a sandy stretch - his left shoe broke.
The sole had completely came apart from the upper part, his forefoot sticking out into the sand.
Obviousely the glue that had hold together the whole thing had gone brittle and lost its strength, by pure age or poor storage condition.

We managed to continue into the safety of the rest house, where I was able to fix the shoe by using pieces of barbed wire to form U-Clips to clamp together the pieces again.
He then said that he doesn't feel any difference between before and after, and we were able to continue hiking as planned.

I've become quite skilled in repairing footwear by this method since, it was 4 pairs I repaired during my last trip.

colorado_rob
04-06-2017, 11:13
I've been pretty lucky, only one significant gear-fail I can think of, but it was painful: On a Rainier mini-expedition/climb in 2006, on the way out after a fantastic climb on the Emmons glacier route, heading down my waist belt buckle broke. We were loaded with all sorts of technical gear hence very heavy, plus we had leftover food & fuel because we summited on our first of three summit days. Probably a 55 pound pack, no waist belt, a 6500 foot descent on steep snow then rock then dirt. Painful! I tried all sorts of jury-rigs, never managed to get it tight enough to take the weight off the shoulders.

Ever since then I always carry a spare waist belt buckle. My ULA OHM buckle "broke" (stopped snapping closed) on my AT hike, used the spare then, very handy!

Tipi Walter
04-06-2017, 11:18
Leo L---Reminds me of a couple guys I saw on Fodderstack Ridge. One guy's boots were crap and he had to spend many minutes every day re-tying the soles of his boots back onto the uppers---

First pic shows my man on left with his boots ready to go. Second pic are the boots at rest in camp with the cordage ready to go.

Bubblehead
04-06-2017, 12:00
My biggest gear fail occurred at Mt. Collins shelter in the Smokies last year. I had a Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 tent. It began raining heavy just after dark, and the tent leaked like a siv. Not just at the seams, but the rain seaped thru all of the fabric, and began dripping on me everywhere in the tent. The shelter was full, so I slept on the partially covered bench in front of the shelter. I had my wife order me a Big Agnes Copper spur 1 tent which I picked up when I got to Hot Springs. Have had much better luck with this tent.
After a lot of back and forth with Siera Designs, they finally gave me my money back.

Leo L.
04-06-2017, 12:05
Its close to impossible to fix a "crocodile mouth" on this type of boots other than to tie it with whatever you have handy.

I'm thinking about carrying a bunch of prefabricated U-clamps and a piece of cooper wire on the next trip due to the omnipresent demand to repair shoes.

Dogwood
04-06-2017, 12:06
FWIW, it's not Corona that sucks. It's that cheaper model you chose for the heavy duty pruning of trails that's inappropriate. You'd be better off with greater reliability with a two piece forged handled model w/ overgrips like the Pro Cut 1" model that retails for $35-40, 1" anodized Aluminum handled steel bade bypass retailing for about $50, or for softer wood the Classic Cut 1" bypass heated forged 2 part steel model. These are all bypass designs which is what you want for the jobs your doing. What you're doing - cleaning trails - you're better off with a heavier duty meant for commercial work model. Bring along a small honing stone or on trails a Corona or Fiskars carbide tip honer. Keeping the blade super sharp, not attempting to cut anything larger than 3/4-1" diam. wood, and keeping your blades clean will reduce stress on the pruners and yourself.

Remember the email I sent you? That offer still applies. These are the models I had in mind for you.

http://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/bp-7200-forged-pro-cut-bypass-pruner-1-cut.html.html

http://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/bp-6340-forged-aluminum-bypass-pruner-1-in.html.html

http://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/bp-3180-classic-cut-bypass-pruner-1-in.html.html

Tipi Walter
04-06-2017, 12:59
Thanks Dogwood for the info. I actually was recommended the Felco pruner brand by some "professional" trailworkers and it's now part of my standard load---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/17-Days-with-the-Cranberries/i-jWBthzn/0/XL/TRIP%20173%20047-XL.jpg
No failures after 600,000 cuts.

Dogwood
04-06-2017, 14:01
If you're not using hand pruners all day making 1000's of cuts those ALWAYS SHARP SWISS MADE Felco #8 are the ticket. For orchard work like pruning oranges or apples all day making 1000's of cuts the ergonomic Bahco models make the best cleanest sharpest cuts with the least fatiguing work.

Fiskars and possibly Corona although not based in China use cheaper Chinese made steel. Both are products of the big box stores that compete on pricing: IMHO they really vend light commercial models as their top of the line options. I still have Felco and Fiskars models, before Fiskars outsourced their manufacturing to China, from 25 yrs ago that still function as new.

Don't drop you plastic handled Corona Folding Saw on a rock as it can break typically around the screw blade pivot. And, the blade will rust if you don't keep a light coating of oil on it.

Ercoupe
04-07-2017, 07:22
I've had two failures of twist lock hiking poles. The lower section will get stuck in a root or rock and I will pull the two apart and go forward, before I know it I have snapped the locking mechanism in half. A piece of duct tape gets me by. And the brand name maker has been great about replacing lower unit, twice now. But it would not happen with Cam-Locks.

gsingjane
04-07-2017, 09:43
Probably my most uncomfortable gear failure was my Big Agnes inflatable. Although I had blown it up before a 7-day trip, I didn't realize it had developed a slow leak, and had to be re-inflated multiple times a night. I always love backpacking, but that trip, I loved it a little less...

Francis Sawyer
04-07-2017, 10:01
First hike EVER in BSA. A six mile out and back day-hike. I was wearing Sears work boots about a half size too large. By the end of the hike my feet looked like two pounds of day-old unrefrigerated hamburger. I guess not a gear fail but operator error.

gwschenk
04-07-2017, 10:19
Oh, yeah, Boy Scouts! My first backpack was to a cow pasture in Indiana. Shared a army surplus pup tent with tow other kids. It rained like the dickens, we and our sleeping bags were soaked through and through. Fortunately my Dad had given me his old army wool blanket, I curled up in that and stayed pretty warm the rest of the night.

RockDoc
04-07-2017, 14:52
There are fails and there are fails. Some are inconsequential, some are serious.

A broken pack waist buckle is pretty serious if you have much weight. So is a broken tent pole if it's a fancy high tech type that you can't repair with a stick and duct tape. Trekking poles with joints tend to break if you really stress them.

Funny how all these things break just when you need them most; at maximum stress. Clearly they are only designed for average (low) stress.

MuddyWaters
04-07-2017, 18:59
First hike EVER in BSA. A six mile out and back day-hike. I was wearing Sears work boots about a half size too large. By the end of the hike my feet looked like two pounds of day-old unrefrigerated hamburger. I guess not a gear fail but operator error.

We had kids in BSA go to Philmont wearing work boots, from walmart. Horrible blisters.

Told parents beforehand, just buy them running shoes, they can wear to school, buy them half size large and they will be able to use them next fall.

Deaf ears. Same with most gear choices

Advertising has people so brainwashed that they need boots to step off of pavement, its not funny.

I would laugh at the adult leaders that showed up to meetings in their brown/green hikers...had to have them...part of the uniform to them...boots.

People have to learn for themselves. Many never do.

fastfoxengineering
04-07-2017, 19:44
We had kids in BSA go to Philmont wearing work boots, from walmart. Horrible blisters.

Told parents beforehand, just buy them running shoes, they can wear to school, buy them half size large and they will be able to use them next fall.

Deaf ears. Same with most gear choices

Advertising has people so brainwashed that they need boots to step off of pavement, its not funny.

I would laugh at the adult leaders that showed up to meetings in their brown/green hikers...had to have them...part of the uniform to them...boots.

People have to learn for themselves. Many never do.
True. My first long hike with my brother. I bought a new set of trail runners. Granted, he was much less experienced with my but stubborn in his ways. "I'm going hiking, I'm wearing hiking boots."

He suffered that whole 25 day trip with foot problems caused by his too small, waterproof Merrill's.

He was very jealous of me with zero blisters and manageable wet feet.

More or less cause I had running shoes and he had hiking boots. I must be the stupid one.

He now wears non waterproof breathable trail running shoes.

He still thinks ultralight hiking is a bunch of gear snobs and dumb for leaving stuff at home.

He's starting to see the light though the more he hikes with me.

I have found in my experiences carrying a lighter pack has alleviated the need for more comfort and "recuperating" gear on the trail. Including heavy camp shoes.

Some footpowder, bread bags, camp socks, and trail running shoes. I never have foot problems where I hike.

Too add another gear fail for this thread.

I had a buddy lose a guyline one night on his non freestanding tent due to abrasion throughout the night. His fault.

Tent collapsed and it sucks rigging that thing up with some shoelaces in the dusting rain and dark night.

I carry a precut length of guyline for my tarp in my repair kit. It weighs very very little. It's precut to the longest length I could need. Could repair my tarp in a minute and a permanent solution.

Haven't needed it but a little bit of extra cordage can help you out of a crappy situation.

Slow Trek
04-08-2017, 00:47
My only memorable fail had a happy ending. Started at Springer with a new,(but broken in) pair of Keen boots. after 700 miles or so,looked like sole was starting to separate. Let in a little water,but stayed attached until we ended our section at Harper's Ferry. A few weeks ago,I thought about their warranty. I sent a photo of the separation to Keen,and my new free boots arrived yesterday. Awesome customer care.

left52side
04-08-2017, 02:15
Honestly knock on wood,I think as far as I can remember the worse thing I had happen to me was A broke spoon or A ruptured freezer bag lol.
I have had A few mishaps with A wet camp and such things but would hardly call that gear failure as much as poor campsite selection.
On the SHT last year I probably pushed my trail runners A bit to far and they were pretty tore up by the end of the hike but again hardly gear failure as much as operator failure.
Most all of my gear I tend to do quite A bit of research on before purchasing and I know what it is and is not capable of handling in certain situations which in turn decides what piece of gear im bringing and why.
Mishaps do happen from time to time but rarely have I gotten A piece of gear that just failed without some type of user error,but like I said I tend to research my gear and choose what gear I need for what hike im on at the time.

egilbe
04-08-2017, 07:48
I was just thinking that I never had any gear failures, but remembered I found that the aluminum tube frame on my pack had broken at the bend. I saw it at home when I was un packing. Sent some pictures in to SeekOutside and a week later a brand new updated lightweight frame was at my house with the optional frame extensions. Great customer service.

Ethesis
04-08-2017, 13:24
I had tent poles spall out. One thing you just can't lash.

Also had a waterproof hang sack in my backpack turn out not to be waterproof and my water bladder leaked.

Rain jacket where I started to overheat because I was afraid of a little cold to start. Wetter inside than out.

Live and learn. Or why these practice section hikes have been so useful.

ldsailor
04-10-2017, 12:26
We managed to continue into the safety of the rest house, where I was able to fix the shoe by using pieces of barbed wire to form U-Clips to clamp together the pieces again.
He then said that he doesn't feel any difference between before and after, and we were able to continue hiking as planned.

I've become quite skilled in repairing footwear by this method since, it was 4 pairs I repaired during my last trip.

I thought that is what duct tape is for.:)

LongBlaze2019
04-10-2017, 13:51
And then there are gear fails from brand new items directly out the big box store door---think Ozark Trail tents. Total pieces of crap.
I've been using a Ozark Trail 1 person tent for quite a while and have never had a problem.
The tent I used before this one was Ozark Trail as well and it's still in use today by the person I gave it to.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Leo L.
04-10-2017, 14:05
I thought that is what duct tape is for.:)
Duct tape is the poor man's method that would hold for a day, maximum.

The steel wire U-clamp is almost permanent. My son's Salomon came apart during the last trip and I fixed them, he is still using them every day, being proud of the clamps.
Maybe because they give a ncie counterweight to the clamps in his nose and ears <G>

Bansko
04-10-2017, 15:22
The biggest gear fail I ever had was not having a backup source of flame. Depending on weather conditions, the reaction to that can range anywhere from, "Oh, well" to "Oh, s**t".

greensleep
04-10-2017, 15:55
Duct tape is the poor man's method that would hold for a day, maximum.

The steel wire U-clamp is almost permanent. My son's Salomon came apart during the last trip and I fixed them, he is still using them every day, being proud of the clamps.
Maybe because they give a ncie counterweight to the clamps in his nose and ears <G>
do you have pictures of the repaired shoe? I'm very curious about that technique

Leo L.
04-10-2017, 17:27
A shoe consists of a sole and an upper material, the latter in case of the Salomons being sewn like a complete sock.

So I open the laces completely, take out the insole and insert the U-clamp from inside out, through the upper and through the sole.
Using barbed wire is a special trick developed in the Middle East, where barbed wire (the Egyptian one, cheap standard stuff, not the highly specialized NATO/Israel one) is available at every corner.
I peel out the "barbs", straighten them out, and form U-clamps. The tips are already pointy enough to let you push the clamp through the shoe material. You can also push a hole beforehand, by using the awl on the Swiss Knife.
At the end, I bend the tips of the clamp that point through the sole, down flat.

greensleep
04-10-2017, 19:53
A shoe consists of a sole and an upper material, the latter in case of the Salomons being sewn like a complete sock.

So I open the laces completely, take out the insole and insert the U-clamp from inside out, through the upper and through the sole.
Using barbed wire is a special trick developed in the Middle East, where barbed wire (the Egyptian one, cheap standard stuff, not the highly specialized NATO/Israel one) is available at every corner.
I peel out the "barbs", straighten them out, and form U-clamps. The tips are already pointy enough to let you push the clamp through the shoe material. You can also push a hole beforehand, by using the awl on the Swiss Knife.
At the end, I bend the tips of the clamp that point through the sole, down flat.
Thanks, I've got a pair of runners that whose soles are detaching. I'm going to try you fix.

clusterone
04-11-2017, 13:03
This happened just this last weekend....That is the stay protruding through the straps that are supposed to retain it. This is a 1year old Zpacks Arc Haul. I have contacted Zpacks(yesterday), awaiting a reply. 39027

clusterone
04-11-2017, 17:36
This happened just this last weekend....That is the stay protruding through the straps that are supposed to retain it. This is a 1year old Zpacks Arc Haul. I have contacted Zpacks(yesterday), awaiting a reply. 39027

UPDATE -- Zpacks responded within 24h and said the would repair the pack, just mail it to them!

rafe
04-11-2017, 20:07
Had a Svea stove turn into a flame thrower once, on a dry trail in New Hampshire. I was freaked that it was about to start a forest fire. Thank zeus that didn't happen.

I've had failures of pack straps, crampon straps, snowshoe bindings, nothing too serious.

I've had shoes that chewed up my feet, but that kinda goes with the territory, eh?

DownEaster
04-12-2017, 11:27
My gear fails have been fairly minor. My Olympus camera suddenly decided to devour its batteries, so I missed out on some pictures. My tent stakes proved inadequate in high winds that preceded a storm, but I was able to whittle some beefier wooden substitutes. Horizontal rain blew under my tent fly and soaked my down sleeping bag, forcing me to sleep in my emergency space blanket. I don't take down on the AT anymore.

dzierzak
04-18-2017, 13:12
My brain - the last time I packed for an outing...:-?

Leo L.
04-18-2017, 13:38
During our most recent trip, both my friends carried lots of ziploc bags for to organize their stuff in the pack. They had brought a family-30-pcs pack of these.
Only several days into the hike, the bags started to fail, they broke in horizontal stripes. At the end of the hike, all of their ziplock bags had completely disintegrated.

gwschenk
04-18-2017, 16:37
Had a Svea stove turn into a flame thrower once...

They don't call them Swedish hand grenades for nothing.

handlebar
04-18-2017, 17:25
Drowned my camera crossing the upper reaches of the Snake River (I think) on the CDT in WY. Had it in a fanny pack I wear in front with stuff I want to get at easily. I had jumped over the deep part of the stream and landed where the water was shallow over 2" smooth stones. Didn't realize the stones were moss covered and slippery and went down face forward completely dunking the fanny pack. Got the batteries out immediately and hiked with everything on the camera open, but still wasn't working after two days in the sun, so I had my support person overnight a similar model to West Yellowstone and sent my old one home. After a month when I returned from the trail, the old camera had come back to life.

Zea
04-18-2017, 18:32
Been lucky so far.

My only minor mishap was doing a .25 mile peak for a sunset with my fiance across the highway from Franconia Ridge. We brought one headlamp to the top, we "knew" we'd get down before dark and wouldn't need it but I figured it was better to bring one. At the top there's another trail about .6 miles long on what looked on the map like fairly flat ground to another peak I'd never been to before.

Long story short we decided to hit the second peak and come right back, and it started getting dark fast. I guess we were moving slower than expected, and once it started getting dark and we hadn't hit the peak yet we decided to head back down. Go to turn on my headlamp... nothing. Fresh batteries, it just was not working for some reason. Ended up moving very slowly down the pitch black mountainside with the help from one cell phone flashlight... headlamp decided to turn back on about 5 minutes before we got to the TH. At least I learned to always carry a secondary light source, and to be prepared even on small hills.

rafe
04-18-2017, 19:35
Small stuff, lots. Cameras stop working. Stoves get balky. Filters clog. Tent stakes bend or get lost. Packs get torn. Smashed a lid on a Nalgene bottle once. Don't ever put Frog Toggs in a dryer or next to the campfire. I can't blame my bad hikes on gear issues, for the most part.

I carry two headlamps and multiple lighters, though. Hard to function without light or fire.

DownEaster
04-19-2017, 15:56
I carry two headlamps and multiple lighters, though. Hard to function without light or fire.
Backups are good, but they don't have to be multiples of the same item. My phone is my backup light source, and a pack of matches is backup for my Bic lighter.

MtDoraDave
04-24-2017, 07:17
My Katadyn mini water filter/pump failed. Actually, it was stored in the outside mesh pocket of my pack and slipping on ice and falling on it several times cracked the screw-on portion of the filter. For 3 days, I was able to hold my left hand on it to maintain pressure while my right hand pumped. On the last day, it just died.
Boiling water uses a lot of fuel, and when you pour hot water into a smart water bottle, you go from a 1 liter bottle to about a .5 or .6 liter bottle...

Fortunately, if hiking during the season, there are usually plenty of hikers who will let you use their filter, drops, etc.

Tipi Walter
04-24-2017, 08:20
Small stuff, lots. Cameras stop working. Stoves get balky. Filters clog. Tent stakes bend or get lost. Packs get torn. Smashed a lid on a Nalgene bottle once. Don't ever put Frog Toggs in a dryer or next to the campfire. I can't blame my bad hikes on gear issues, for the most part.

Yes, I'm on my third or fourth camera---short shelf-life or field-life using substandard electronics, I guess. Filter clogging I see as normal usage and not gear failure, same with worn out stuff sacks, broken shoelaces, maybe even defective tent pegs. I remember putting my old blue polypropylene leggings in a dryer in 1980 and having it partially melt. No loss as the stuff stank.

Leo L.
04-24-2017, 10:42
Yes, I'm on my third or fourth camera---short shelf-life or field-life using substandard electronics, I guess...

Seems to be a hit or miss thing.
I've bought a Lumix FZ18 in 2008 and carry it on all my hikes. Tried a Lumix TZ 41 a few years back, but it got drowned in a creek after short time, so I resorted to my old FZ18 again. Works just perfect - since 9 years.

Knarmore
04-24-2017, 14:27
Not my worst gear failure but a humorous one, Bright angel campground in the Grand Canyon. We were new to backpacking and each had a camel pack style water bladder, my girlfriend at the time brought hers to bed with us. At some point in the night she or I rolled on top of it, releasing the full two liters on the tent floor! Waking up around 4 am soaking wet was a good learning experience for us both.

tomlinson
04-24-2017, 15:30
I spent 4 days hiking near Big Sur a couple of years ago. Felt crazy out of shape 1 mile in and could not figure out why. Out of breath, achy...turned out to be the flu but manageable for the two days hiking in. Turned around when the fever crept up, but still had two days hiking to get out. My plan was to get long exposure night shots of the stars, so on night 3, after a day of feeling like crap, I dragged myself 2 miles up to an outlook, set the camera on long exposure and hoped no one would steal my very expensive gear overnight. Dragged ass back to camp and woke the next morning feeling even worse. Hiked back to the outlook to get my gear, looked at the camera, no images at all. Forgot to turn off auto-focus, rendering the camera inoperative at night. Hiked back to my car, got a hotel, slept for two days and then flew back to Boston. FAIL.

Dogwood
04-24-2017, 15:37

Add to that Embark brand tents. Both Ozark Trail, exclusively sold at Wally World, and Embark, only seen by this person at Target, have the lowest quality tent poles, tent pole sleeves, and stakes. They are aimed for low economical markets for the occasional camper not for thru-hiking or backcountry(backpacking) enthusiasts.

I too wonder if we too often blame gear failing on gear when perhaps it is sometimes more accurate to say the consumer - a human - failed the gear?

clusterone
04-25-2017, 12:39
UPDATE 3 - Pack is back in my hands! Could not expect a faster turn-around. The repair work is amazing. Entirely new design for how the mesh attaches and is tightened. The poles feels like they are now capped, and designed to distribute the load across the entire strap/ now sleeve. They updated all four attachment points , and included a new mesh back with new hardware.

TWO THUMBS UP FOR ZPACKS!

BEFORE:https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39157&d=1491930173&thumb=1 (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39157&d=1493137571) AFTER: https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39158&d=1493137573&thumb=1 (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39158&d=1493137573)

UPDATE -- Zpacks responded within 24h and said the would repair the pack, just mail it to them!

SWODaddy
04-25-2017, 14:39
Nothing too bad while hiking.

My biggest fail a couple decades ago while car camping was setting up my 3-man Eureka dome tent at a campground, realizing I had forgotten the tent stakes after setting it up, then hearing yelling as I walk to the car, only to turn around and see my tent bouncing like a giant beach ball into the river.

I actually jumped in and saved the tent. This was the VA state campground (can't remember the name) overlooked by the old civil war shot tower - near Wytheville, IIRC.

HighlandsHiker
04-25-2017, 20:31
Ha! Sounds like New River State Park. The river is pretty wide and decently fast-moving through there . . . you're lucky to have saved the tent!

That's a very scenic campground - and nicely situated near the bike path. Worth a visit.

Wildmtnchild
05-06-2017, 19:39
Once my jet boil caught fire and the plastic melted. Another time, same trip, my filter clogged and just wouldn't unclog.

dervari
05-06-2017, 23:55
I bought a melted jet boil at the REI Garage Sale so I could have a second cup. Did you return to REI?

Had a Miniworks fail when I forgot to put the duck bill valve back in after cleaning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
05-07-2017, 00:40
Reposting from several years ago.

The first ever overnight I did as an adult had a memorable experience. My buddy and I had just dropped a good chunk of money buying gear for backpacking even though we couldn't afford it, in order to make ends need and still hike, my buddy who had no experience made his own soda can alcohol stove for the trip.

I was skeptical at first, but he tried it out in his kitchen and the soda can stove worked well, it boiled water quick enough and was practically free, so I agreed to use it. He even bought a MSR backpackers pot to go with the stove.

On our first day out we made it seven miles ( a big deal on your first trip wearing a pack in over a decade). We got to the campsite and I proceeded to make dinner. I removed the stove that was nestled in the new cookpot, lit it with the denatured alcohol I bought and made couscous.

The first few bites were okay, but then I accidentally took a bite from the part that was at the bottom of the cookpot and my mouth exploded in pain and sent signals to my brain that we were under attack. I instantly turned green and without consciously knowing what happened I ran close to the edge of the tent site and spit out everything in my mouth, replacing it with dry heaving. Not knowing what happened, I unsuccessfully tried to rinse my mouth out as my very concerned hiking buddy tried to see if he could help. He said so something to the effect of "I've never had couscous before but this tastes terrible". To which I responded that I ate the stuff all the time and that this must save been contaminated.

After a brief discussion, the truth came out. It turns out that my buddy was too lazy to buy proper cooking alcohol when testing his stove. Instead he grabbed the only flammable liquid he had available, his girlfriend's nail polish remover, and used that for his first few trial runs. The problem is that nail polish remover does not fully burn down and instead leaves a residue that tastes something like rocket fuel. Turns out that since he hadn't washed the stove before putting it inside the cookpot, all the residue was shaken out into the cookpot. https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Not an experience that I will soon forget.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Bronk
05-07-2017, 09:09
If you buy a used tent, do this to it before you trust it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wARB3Ljv404

theinfamousj
05-09-2017, 13:09
There are several operator errors, such as a college aged me who, discovering she could fit her adult self in a Wal-Mart Kids Tent (diagonally, no really, it works) promptly proceeded to spray the sides of the nylon tent with a fine mist of deet.

It had been amazingly waterproof and a great workhorse of a tent until then. Now it is a lending tent for fair weather only.

And to replace it? I went with something that cost a factor of ten more and provided minor weight benefits, and no space benefits. 🤔

I have had Merrill shoes disconnect from the front of their soles while on the trail (Yay duct tape). I once misplaced a bottle of iodine I was using to treat water (hiking partner had enough extra to get me through). And once, my beloved Cocoon AirCore pillow got a leak and I found myself pillow less (slept on hard, lumpy gear). But so far, knock wood, that is all I can report.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

theinfamousj
05-09-2017, 13:18
Its close to impossible to fix a "crocodile mouth" on this type of boots other than to tie it with whatever you have handy.

I'm thinking about carrying a bunch of prefabricated U-clamps and a piece of cooper wire on the next trip due to the omnipresent demand to repair shoes.
I don't know what a U clamp is, but if you make or point me to a video, I still have the Merrills and would love to give their repair a shot and pick up a new gear repair skill!

Teacher & Snacktime
05-09-2017, 13:29
My husband and I went on a bike hike from Bristol RI to Provincetown, MA and back. I borrowed a small tent from a family member who was an experienced camper. This was their daughter's tent, which was stored in a nice dry closet, so we didn't bother to open it up or check the condition. It was perfect; no wear, no tears. Unfortunately however, it appeared that the closet in which it had been stored also served as their cat's toilet. Try to get that smell out of the nylon when it's been heated up by the sun! Thank God for the local Benny's (all purpose store)!

Leo L.
05-09-2017, 13:49
I don't know what a U clamp is, but if you make or point me to a video, I still have the Merrills and would love to give their repair a shot and pick up a new gear repair skill!

In lack of English knowledge I just named it U-clamp.
Its a piece of stiff and sturdy steel wire, both ends pointed sharp, and bent to a U-shape.
Farmers use this to nail the barbed wire to the posts.
The only (small) problem with the prefabricated U-clamps is, that their back (the base of the U) is round, it would be better to have it rectangular.
I use scrap pieces of barbed wire to produce mine, because its the best wire I can get in the desert, and its already pointed on both ends.

OK, I've just made one for you:

theinfamousj
05-09-2017, 14:13
In lack of English knowledge I just named it U-clamp.
Its a piece of stiff and sturdy steel wire, both ends pointed sharp, and bent to a U-shape.
Farmers use this to nail the barbed wire to the posts.
The only (small) problem with the prefabricated U-clamps is, that their back (the base of the U) is round, it would be better to have it rectangular.
I use scrap pieces of barbed wire to produce mine, because its the best wire I can get in the desert, and its already pointed on both ends.

OK, I've just made one for you:
Thank you!

BuckeyeBill
05-09-2017, 15:31
Check in the electrical department at Lowe's or Home Depot. You should be able to find flat heavy duty staples used to secure electrical wiring in homes.

Leo L.
05-10-2017, 04:04
Check in the electrical department at Lowe's or Home Depot. You should be able to find flat heavy duty staples used to secure electrical wiring in homes.
For those outside the US - could you upload a pic?
I think, me as a boy 50yrs back was the last person here who fastened electric wires with staples.

Glacier
05-10-2017, 06:57
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Graphite-Metallic-Steel-Staples-for-12-3-and-10-3-Non-Metallic-Cables-100-Pack-MS-175/100036901

Glacier
05-10-2017, 07:01
romex staples work

MtDoraDave
05-10-2017, 07:02
Here are a couple images to help visualize. They are thick enough steel that would be hard to bend without pliers or a hammer... so I don't know that this would work for a hiking shoe repair.

Romex staples.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/710u0P2D3HL._SY355_.jpg
Romex is what we call the insulated wiring we use in houses.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/cimg/www.doityourself.com/660x300_100-1/168/romex-cable-132168.jpg

egilbe
05-10-2017, 07:32
I broke a BD carbon Fiber trekking pole section this weekend while looking at waterfalls. I tripped and landed on the pole, snapped it in half. Carbon fiber seems pretty brittle.

Of course, it was pretty rocky.

for those who are curious, that's Frye brook at the base of Dunn's falls. The AT crosses right at the top of that falls and no one would no they were feet from a 70 foot plunge unless they took the trail leading down to the base of the falls. I can't imagine a worse place to cross the brook.

Leo L.
05-10-2017, 08:10
Thanks for the link and the pics.
Those staples look really perfect for shoe repair!
The sharp tips would allow to penetrate upper and sole material really easy.
Bending (for closing) can be done with plers only, anyway.
For just this spezific reason I carry a Leatherman-style multitool on some of my hikes.

We should start a new thread dedicated to shoe repair!

BTW, I see how different the construction work is done in the US, than in EU.
You have wood and compound walls, we have bricks, mostly.

Leo L.
05-10-2017, 08:11
Make that "pliers"...

BuckeyeBill
05-10-2017, 09:49
Sorry Leo L. I should have had a link in my original post. Best of luck to you.

greenmtnboy
06-05-2017, 11:46
I have had a lot of trouble with footwear--standard Limmers, soles came off in the first week of hiking the Long Trail in Vermont, no guarantee with them; Asolos bought second hand on ebay, glues were substandard and did not stand up to real hiking. Lifetime guarantee socks like LL Bean invariably get holes even if you follow recommended washing.