PDA

View Full Version : 29 year old SoCal guy here thru hiker NOBO on May 13 Approach.

luckythirteen
04-05-2017, 20:49
I have no clue how to officially get peoples attention in my title but hopefully it helped. I was originally going to do a late February NOBO approach but had to postpone due to some huge complications in my life. Since then i have not abandoned hope. I intend on going alone but it would be nice to join up with a fellow thru hiker or group attempting to complete the whole thing this year.

A little about me: Im 29, 6 feet tall, Navy veteran, and LOVE to hike. Truly my passion. I love to explore. I have been through a lot over the years including breaking my back in 5 places in a car accident in 2012. This September actually marks the five year anniversary. I was considered paralyzed from the waist down upon entering the emergency room. Since that day i found walking and hiking to be therapeutic and i began walking 10 miles a day for my own physical therapy. On top of the presscribed physical therapy my neurosurgeon recommended for the next year. I refused to be wheelchair bound from the very start and although my doctor said id be in one for the first 6 months, as soon as i exited the hosptial doors i began using one of those tennis ball walkers. From that i moved to a cane (while wearing this huge back brace with 74 staples down my back) and then eventually unassisted. I consider myself a fighter and king of perseverance. I have a HUGE heart and stand by it. I was recently engaged and that also ended in disaster. But instead of drowning in my sorrow or letting it effect my dreams, i push on with my ultimate dream of hiking the entire length of the Appalachian trail.

I have a ton more stories that i can save for my future hiking family but to get to the point. Im hoping i can meet up with anyone attempting to start May 13 morning and begin this journey of a life time.

Shoot me a message please if you fit this. Haha. I will always carry my weight and be a good addition of the group i hope to join. Message me.

StartingOver
05-09-2017, 22:39
Hey, are you still starting Saturday? That's my plan too. It's obviously too late to be a group but I'll hike with you as far as our schedules allow. I plan on hiking 12-18 miles/day and reaching the end of the trail for me at Clingman's Dome on the 27th.