PDA

View Full Version : How to plan a family 2 night section hike in Georgia?

runnergal
04-06-2017, 09:39
We are trying to plan a 2 night section hike in Georgia during Memorial Day weekend. We will be driving to AT on Saturday from Alabama (about 6 hour drive). Starting the hike around noon/early afternoon. Our kids are 14 and 12 years old and in good shape. My husband and son did Blood Mountain 2 years ago from Neel's gap so we're thinking of starting at Springer Mountain. Should we try to do a roundtrip hike or point to point? If point to point any thoughts or recommendations for shuttle service. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice. This will be a first time backpacking trip for me and my 12 year old daughter.

JC13
04-06-2017, 10:08
How many miles per day are you thinking your daughter will be able to reasonably do? Hard to say without knowing this and how much the kids will be carrying. I say this based on my 8,10 and 12 year old kids. We considered doing Dicks Creek Gap to Franklin to knock that out but we are looking at taking anywhere from 5-8 days...

Ron Brown for shuttles if you do a point-to-point.

runnergal
04-06-2017, 10:48
Thanks JC13 for the response. I feel that she could do 7-8 miles per day. My husband said when they were doing the trail around blood mountain, it was pretty slow going due to the elevation. Packs shouldn't be too bad since it's only 2 nights. I will be carrying the tent that my daughter and I will sleep in. Have you taken your kids on previous backpacking trips? My 14 year old son is a scout and my husband a scout leader so they are quite used to backpacking and camping. Last summer we did some hiking in the Fort Mountain, GA area and she loved it so hoping that she will enjoy this. Any advice on best areas to try for first timers would be great. Also, do we need to be concerned about finding an area to camp due to being Memorial Day weekend.

Uncle Joe
04-06-2017, 10:58
At 7-8mi per day you're not exactly hitting take-out points at 14mi. Springer to Woody is about 20mi. Springer to Gooch Gap is about 17 or so. Gooch is fairly easy to get to for a shuttle too. You could camp at Hawk Mountain Shelter.

johnspenn
04-06-2017, 11:54
Another option would be to include the Hike Inn at Amicolola Falls State Park as one of the nights. Arrive at the SP, hike out 5 miles to the Hike Inn and stay the first night, hike out to Springer or Stover Creek shelter area the second night and return to the SP.

The Hike Inn is a fun experience and I'm sure your kids would love it.

JC13
04-06-2017, 12:06
Maybe even do the Approach? 8.8 miles and camp at Springer, then go a half day and return to the shelter for night 2. My only thoughts on Springer forward is that Sassafras can be a beast. The only way to avoid it would be to get off at Hightower Gap if you can get a shuttle. Trying to think of some other decent sections, Neel Gap and past is nice, and probably less crowded but not a good point-to-point for shorter mileage.

HooKooDooKu
04-06-2017, 12:11
If you are not tied to the AT and you're willing to travel as far as GSMNP, there's all sorts of 2 night loops I can suggest for a family with kids.
However, Memorial Day Weekend is a busy time in GSMNP and you have to be willing to get your campsite reservations as early as possible (30 days before the start of your trip).

One example:
Drive to Clingman's Dome Parking Lot (get there as early as possible to find a parking spot).
Day 1: Hike down Forney Creek Trail. It's an interesting trail because it includes a picturesque water slide and 5 "get your feet wet" water crossings. Camp at BC#70.
Day 2: Hike up Jonas Creek Trail (4 "maybe get your feet wet" water crossings depending on water levels) and then Welch Ridge to Silers Bald shelter on the AT.
Day 3. Hike the AT back to Clingman's Dome for some great views.

Uncle Joe
04-06-2017, 12:23
At 7-8mi per day you're not exactly hitting take-out points at 14mi. Springer to Woody is about 20mi. Springer to Gooch Gap is about 17 or so. Gooch is fairly easy to get to for a shuttle too. You could camp at Hawk Mountain Shelter.

Sorry, I didn't read that as "2 nights" for some reason. Springer to Woody wouldn't be too bad. Others noted incorporating the Approach which might be nice too, though you'd start the adventure off with a good bit of climbing.

runnergal
04-06-2017, 12:29
Another option would be to include the Hike Inn at Amicolola Falls State Park as one of the nights. Arrive at the SP, hike out 5 miles to the Hike Inn and stay the first night, hike out to Springer or Stover Creek shelter area the second night and return to the SP.

The Hike Inn is a fun experience and I'm sure your kids would love it.

That sounded like an awesome plan but just checked for reservations and they are full. Disappointing. I'm looking to see if we can find a place near amicolola falls and camp there and then hike out from there.

runnergal
04-06-2017, 12:32
That's true. I don't want my 12 yo daughter to be discouraged on the 1st day. Do you think we may have issues at Hawk Mountain to find a spot to camp? I have read it's pretty busy.

JC13
04-06-2017, 13:02
From what we were told and saw last July, Springer to Neel Gap stays pretty busy. It being a holiday weekend, I imagine it would be pretty busy at Hawk.

Maybe Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap? Hit Tray Mountain Shelter, next night at Deep Gap Shelter, then hike to Dicks Creek Gap the next day. Easy on-off access at both places. You will be going up and down but I don't remember that section being bad at all. The climb from Unicoi to Tray looked bad on paper but was actually pretty easy. If we hadn't started so late that day, we would have pushed much further.

centerfieldr162
04-07-2017, 11:04
If you are not tied to the AT and you're willing to travel as far as GSMNP, there's all sorts of 2 night loops I can suggest for a family with kids.
However, Memorial Day Weekend is a busy time in GSMNP and you have to be willing to get your campsite reservations as early as possible (30 days before the start of your trip).

One example:
Drive to Clingman's Dome Parking Lot (get there as early as possible to find a parking spot).
Day 1: Hike down Forney Creek Trail. It's an interesting trail because it includes a picturesque water slide and 5 "get your feet wet" water crossings. Camp at BC#70.
Day 2: Hike up Jonas Creek Trail (4 "maybe get your feet wet" water crossings depending on water levels) and then Welch Ridge to Silers Bald shelter on the AT.
Day 3. Hike the AT back to Clingman's Dome for some great views.
From Mobile, AL too and second what HooKoo said. He's helped me a lot as far as planning solo overnights in the smokies for myself. It's only about 2 1/2 hours added time to the drive from down here. I just got back three weeks ago from a 5 night trip by myself and weather was perfect and the timing was great. Wildflowers should be starting to bloom by now also. Many opportunities to leave your car and do overnighter and not require a shuttle also. PM if you need any advice but HooKoo and TNhiker are great resources.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

runnergal
04-07-2017, 13:42
Thanks centerfieldr162!! Congrats on your solo trip. Sounds like fun. I will definitely consider.

runnergal
04-07-2017, 13:42
Also my son is determined to get back to the AT!!

scope
04-07-2017, 14:03
Blood Mt as the gateway drug to doing the AT? That happens a lot.

So, two nights would be two half days and one full day? Driving from Mobile?

Two options; first, I think the Springer to Hawk shelter section would be a good out and back. You get to see the AT terminus (not really that big a deal, and not much view, but the best on that section), there are 3 shelters so that there are those 3 options for camping (I think the kids might like being at a shelter), there's a nice waterfall in the middle, and of course, there's plenty of water, as well as some of the easiest hiking in Ga. You can drive to either the Springer access FS42 parking lot, or you can park at Hightower Gap depending on what kind of schedule and camp locations you think you can make. I would not do a hike from Springer to Woody Gap even though I love that hike. The middle part is very up and down and dry. Not the sort of thing I think your kids would enjoy, though they would probably handle it better that you and your husband, LOL.

I'd make the second option one for a shuttle to get more actual AT trail in. I'd love to suggest Woody Gap to Hogpen or Tesnatee Gap because of the views and because Mountain Crossings would be a great rest stop in the middle, but part of that section requires use of a bear canister. The section nobo just after Neel Gap is not in the bear can restricted area, but IMO it should be. I consistently hear of bear sightings there including hung food bags stolen. Bears are not your worry - going hungry is. Sure, you can make bears your problem, but they are not if you practice normal standards. In that section, a normal standard would be a bear canister.

So, I think the next best option would be to park your car at Hogpen Gap and get a shuttle to Tray Mt., going sobo from there. There's a short up and back jaunt up to Tray Mt. just like there is at Springer, only you get a much better view. If you're running late that day, go a short distance further to the Tray shelter and camp there - it has great views of lights in the valley at night. Or, from Tray, the AT goes downhill for 2 miles before a steep climb up to Rocky Mt, which is a great place to camp except that you'd have to bring water up there. There's a nice flowing little creek 0.7m downhill from Rocky so that its not so bad to go get water and bring it back up, especially if you have help. ;) From there you go down to Unicoi Gap and up again to Blue Mt., definitely not easy, but on the other hand, from Blue Mt to Hogpen is very easy. Not the most scenic, but Hogpen Gap is the highest road point on the AT would be a nice scenic trip out.

The first option is probably a better first time out option. Lots of chances to cut your hike off if you're falling behind timewise. The other probably seems like a stretch due to the mileage, but while there are some tough parts of it, its mostly an easy section. The rest of the trail in GA is up and down and the miles get harder to do, even if you're doing fewer of them.

One other option for thought, and I throw it out there because it is hands down the easiest extended section of AT that I know of in Ga/wNC, and that is Deep Gap to Rock Gap in the Standing Indian area. Easy miles save for a rock scramble up to Albert Mt with awesome views. You can make a loop there as well by utilizing the Kimsey Creek and Long Branch trails. Maybe keep that in mind for next time out.

glenlawson
04-07-2017, 22:39
Lots of great ideas here. Since you talked about hiking around Springer, I'm going to make a suggestion that might take the whole family in mind.

A loop hike from the Three Forks Area to Springer and back around again. It's not a lot of miles, but it does allow for inexperience and gives time for exploring.

The AT crosses FS 58 at a place where 3 creeks come together to form the Noontootla. Head south on the AT to Springer Mountain. It is about 4 to 5 miles to Springer and you can check out the plaque, read the notebook, scope out a good spot in the tent sites, use the composting privy and explore the area. When you head back, take the Spur off on the Benton Mackaye trail which will cross the AT twice before joining back at Three Forks. You can decide your pace and even have some time on Monday for hiking to Long Creek Falls without feeling rushed.

One good thing about this trip is that there is lots of camping along FS 58, Noontootla creek. There is decent parking near Three Forks, and the area is fairly accessible. If you are coming in from Alabama, you could head north out of Atlanta on 75 then 575 to Ellijay. Head east on GA 52 to Roy Rd. A service station on one side and Cartecay Baptist Church on the other. Take Roy Rd. winding all the way to the end at Doublehead Gap Rd. Bear right on Doublehead Gap Rd. Go a ways. Just past Fellowship Baptist Church, turn right onto FS 58. This will take you a few miles to Three Forks.

There are several good descriptions of Three Forks available by searching. Google Maps actually has a good route to the area. There is no cell service at the crossing of the AT and Three Forks so you may want a paper map or download a topo.

Here is a good description of the hike:
http://www.hikingtheappalachians.com/trail-reports/appalachian-trail-three-forks-to-springer-mountain-and-loop-via-benton-mackaye-trail-dahlonega-georgia

Have fun!

MuddyWaters
04-08-2017, 07:31
Id forget ga
Drive up to roan mtn
Include hughes gap to 19 e
Stay at mountain harbor, have them shuttle you, hike back

Best of the at in the south. Ga sucks by comparison
Nothing much to see in ga.

Yeah. 2.5 hrs farther. But might be worth it.

runnergal
04-10-2017, 13:16
My husband had no idea when they planned Blood Mountain that it was going to be so tough!! LOL. However, it has spurred a passion in our 14 year old. Our 12 yo daughter (even though she's in good shape) would be best on an easier trail. Thanks for all your suggestions. Very thorough. I will definitely consider and look into it. Sounds like 3 great ideas!

runnergal
04-10-2017, 13:24
My husband had no idea when they planned Blood Mountain that it was going to be so tough!! LOL. However, it has spurred a passion in our 14 year old. Our 12 yo daughter (even though she's in good shape) would be best on an easier trail. Thanks for all your suggestions. Very thorough. I will definitely consider and look into it. Sounds like 3 great ideas!

Uncle Joe
04-10-2017, 13:31
If you do Unicoi to Dick's Creek you can walk down to Top Of Ga Hostel at Dick's Creek (1/4mi West) and call a shuttle from there. They have a list. They'll get you around to Unicoi. Given that something like 6 cars were just broken into at Unicoi you might want to hike to your car at Dick's. I don't think Unicoi has had many issues until now, FWIW.

HighlandsHiker
04-11-2017, 15:57
Consider the Standing Indian loop, no shuttle required. From the campground take Kimsey Creek trail toward Deep Gap, pick up the AT and circle around Standing Indian Mt, Albert Mt, etc. - 25 mike loop, three shelters, a firetower, two great mountains. From rock Gap walk back to car. Just a bit farther than Springer but loads of bang for your hiking buck.

Greenlight
04-11-2017, 17:28
That weekend is ... crowded to say the least. You might consider "off the beaten path" or plan on camping between shelters. Just a thought.

saltysack
04-11-2017, 21:11
Might consider the standing Indian loop not to far north...22 miles my 9 yr old did it few years back....3 days should be plenty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk