PDA

View Full Version : Wind Shell for Big Guy

jgillam
04-07-2017, 08:19
Alright...I need some help from my plus sized brothers. I have been looking for a wind shirt / wind shell for about six months now and while I'm not a slim as I once was, everything that I have looked at in my normal 2XL size, appears to have been cut for a really heavy triathlete, not a working man with a dad bod.

I have tried on a number of jackets already and based on the fit of those, and the specs of other options on the market, I'm out of options.

I am 6'2" around 275 lbs currently but, am losing weight once again now that my schedule has opened up allowing me time to be active. For reference, I typically start looking fit at 230 lbs...I'm just a bigger guy.

Any suggestions, from someone in my same size range, would be greatly appreciated.

I had been in contact with Luke's Ultralight for a custom jacket, which they do, but they stopped replying to my emails.

FiftyNine
04-07-2017, 08:34
If you find something let me know. I'm also a bigger guy hoping to lose more weight on this hike. I have a wind breaker by starter that I will probably take, it's 13 ounces but so far it's the best I can do with something that will fit properly. It's not ultra light. Maybe in a few months down the road I can trade it in for an ultralight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rmcpeak
04-07-2017, 08:43
I don't know if you have a Gabriel Brothers in your neck of the woods, but they have a substantial Big/Tall section. There's usually some kind of jacket/golf pullover to be found in there. Another thought is a Packa, which could work as rain/wind layer as well as pack cover. I have one and like it a lot in cold weather. For summer hikes, I'm carrying a Houdini. I'm 6'4/210 and wear a large. An XL or XXL (if it exists) might work for you.

Wal-Mart/Sam's/Costco might not be a bad place to check.

Maineiac64
04-07-2017, 08:43
The Marmot Precip seems to have a very generous cut, I am an XL and can wear an XL size over my fleece pretty easily. Nice rain/wind jacket, pit zips, packs down pretty good, not the lightest ever but it is good.

Ranc0r
04-07-2017, 08:57
I have a Precip, it's roomy enough in the chest but the sleeves are tight on my forearms. So much so that I really can't push the sleeves up. I looked at the Patagonia Houdini in XXL, and it fit better in the arms and was not constrictive in the chest or shoulders. I haven't tried on the OR Helium yet, but I found a place locally that has one - just have to make time. And Wifely Justification for another jacket.

The Precip doesn't breathe well for me; I get clammy in it. The Houdini is lighter and breathes much better, IMO.

Ranc0r
04-07-2017, 08:58
FWIW, I'm 6'1" and 250#, but I initially got the Precip when I was around 265#. Still shedding.

jgillam
04-07-2017, 09:14
I've tried the Precip, Houdini, Helium as well as offerings from Helly Hansen, Marmot and Patagonia. Either the 2XL is tight or they don't make a 3XL. I don't need a rain jacket, I already have one from LHG...which fits very well but, doesn't breath a bit.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'll keep looking but, will probably need to walk myself back into industry standard sizing...lol.

For the time being, I'll hit up a JC Penney's or something and find something to fit the bill for now.

saltysack
04-07-2017, 10:11
@ 275lbs do you really need a wind jacket? Don't get me wrong Im only 5'11" 210-215lbs and love my xl Houdini and OR Helium 2 but usually bigger guys stay warm so a long sleeve button up such as the rei Sahara would probably suffice......if you want one made maybe Borah gear?

jgillam
04-07-2017, 10:15
@ 275lbs do you really need a wind jacket? Don't get me wrong Im only 5'11" 210-215lbs and love my xl Houdini and OR Helium 2 but usually bigger guys stay warm so a long sleeve button up such as the rei Sahara would probably suffice......if you want one made maybe Borah gear?

Maybe not but, I want to have one just the same. I think it would be useful to have available.

saltysack
04-07-2017, 10:33
They're definitely useful! My dad is 6'4" 295lbs he's stays warm always... surprised to hear about Luke's ultralight not replying....maybe contact the zpacks...

swisscross
04-07-2017, 10:38
They're definitely useful! My dad is 6'4" 295lbs he's stays warm always... surprised to hear about Luke's ultralight not replying....maybe contact the zpacks...

Read on BPL that Luke was in a really bad car accident.
Has not been able to fulfill existing orders and not accepting new one at the moment.

Seatbelt
04-07-2017, 10:41
I wear this and it is roomy for me. I am almost your same exact size/wt. I wear XXL shirts. If you have an REI within driving distance I highly recommend trying this one out.

https://www.rei.com/product/893177/rei-co-op-rhyolite-rain-jacket-mens

Seatbelt
04-07-2017, 10:53
I just now noticed you are in West-central Indiana as am I. REI in Castleton is where I bought my jacket. You are welcome to try mine on if you want to PM me.

Jayne
04-07-2017, 10:59
I wear this and it is roomy for me. I am almost your same exact size/wt. I wear XXL shirts. If you have an REI within driving distance I highly recommend trying this one out.

https://www.rei.com/product/893177/rei-co-op-rhyolite-rain-jacket-mens

I have the same jacket and recommend it. It's not what I would call a "generous XXL" but it's way better than almost every other brand that is catering to the hiking crowd. (Apparently only skinny people shell out big $ for UL hiking gear because it's damned hard to find stuff that fits bigger dudes.)

jgillam
04-07-2017, 11:19
Thanks for the replies. I am in REI once a week and have tried the suggested jacket, I will look at it again.

Thanks for the info on Luke's, that explains the lack of response.

Zpacks, as I understand it, no longer does custom work and thief largest wind jacket won't be big enough.

Hosh
04-07-2017, 12:18
Not a wind shirt, but effective wind and rain protection, DriDucks come in mondo and mondo +

jgillam
04-11-2017, 15:42
Oddly enough, while I was posting to this thread, a wind shell that I hadn't tried, popped up in my Amazon recommendations.

Comparing the sizing specs of this jacket to the others that I have tried, I ordered it, believing it would work. It arrived today and, after trying it on, I think I have a light weight solution for my situation.

The jacket fits reasonably well, even through the middle. I think wind shells are supposed to be a little tighter anyway. Obviously, it will for better when I drop another 10-15 lbs.

The jacket was the Mountain Hardware Ghost Lite in XXL, and I was able to find it on Amazon for $100, if anyone is interested.

I have plenty of arm movement and room for a good day of hiking.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/93d72b15f2f09a0d67fb35992adfc522.jpg[/IMG

Thanks for all of the help.

Jeremiah

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/2728e14ac216a9abbfdef6a9113eb1ba.jpg

TTT
04-11-2017, 15:48
I also vote for trying out the Marmot Precip.

saltysack
04-11-2017, 15:52
Oddly enough, while I was posting to this thread, a wind shell that I hadn't tried, popped up in my Amazon recommendations.

Comparing the sizing specs of this jacket to the others that I have tried, I ordered it, believing it would work. It arrived today and, after trying it on, I think I have a light weight solution for my situation.

The jacket fits reasonably well, even through the middle. I think wind shells are supposed to be a little tighter anyway. Obviously, it will for better when I drop another 10-15 lbs.

The jacket was the Mountain Hardware Ghost Lite in XXL, and I was able to find it on Amazon for $100, if anyone is interested.

I have plenty of arm movement and room for a good day of hiking.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/93d72b15f2f09a0d67fb35992adfc522.jpg[/IMG

Thanks for all of the help.

Jeremiah

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/2728e14ac216a9abbfdef6a9113eb1ba.jpg

BC.com almost offers 20% off....

JPritch
04-11-2017, 16:17
Check out LL Bean and Eddie Bauer. They make quality, tall-sized gear. I have a now discontinued, 6.6oz, hooded windjacket from LLBean in XLT that I absolutely love. I'm sure you can find something similar if you look.

Flounder940
04-11-2017, 23:01
Check out Lightheart Gear's rain jackets...well made, come in XXXL, and have pit zips. I love mine. I ordered a 3XL so that it would allow me to wear a puffy under it.

jgillam
04-14-2017, 09:13
Check out Lightheart Gear's rain jackets...well made, come in XXXL, and have pit zips. I love mine. I ordered a 3XL so that it would allow me to wear a puffy under it.

I have a LHG rain jacket. It's nice and super light however, it's completely waterproof at the expense of not breathing a bit, which is why it relies on the enormous pit zips for venting. The 2XL is generously sized.

saltysack
04-14-2017, 09:52
People that recommend just a rain jacket don't get it and most likely haven't tried a wind jacket.....my OR helium 2 rain shell started to delam so being the great company they are sent me a new one so I tried it on to confirm the xl size....man I was about to sweat in minutes where as I can put on my Houdini and be comfortable...68* temperature....no comparison between any wind or rain jacket.....night and day....I used to wear a long sleeve button up shirt like the rei Sahara with just a rain shell but switched to a ul ss T shirt with wind jacket and rain shell for minimal weight gain w much more versatility......just few weeks ago a va section hike it was in 40's pouring rain...the wind jacket under the rain shell worked well as has done many times...dried fast also compared to a ls Sahara shirt....just my $.02

MtDoraDave
04-15-2017, 16:28
I rarely need to wear a wind jacket while hiking. The heat produced by hiking keeps me warm even in quite cold weather.
I own Precip pants and jacket, but haven't brought them on the last two hikes because the Frog Toggs are half the weight. Wearing them around camp when it's cool out works well to keep me warm rather than going into the tent to change into more under layers. The down side to them is no pockets - and the crotch rips out of the pants quickly... but they are light and cheap.