PDA

View Full Version : Paclite vs. eVent vs. H2No Rain Gear

K-Man
01-26-2006, 11:05
I am trying to figure out what the most efficient water proof/breathable material is on the market today. All brand loyalties aside...what are all ya'lls opinions on these three jackets:

1. OR Celestial Jacket (10.2 oz, $249) Gore-Tex Paclite material
2. Integral Designs eVent Jacket (10.3 oz, $220) eVent material
3. Patagonia Grade VI jacket (10.5 oz, $299) H2No material

All three of these jackets are somewhat similar with a full zip, pockets, and a functional hood. If you know of any other brands (mtn hardware, marmot, etc.) that are comparable in weight (in the 10oz range) and waterproofness, please include these in the list. I know there are lighter jackets of the same material, but these don't have full zips and/or pockets and/or vents. I am currently using a marmot Precip jacket and this thing is far from waterproof. It soaks through after only an hour of heavy rain. It seems to me that "you get what you pay for" is definitely true for rain gear, at least if you want something that you won't sweat like a hog in. Thanks for you help!!:clap

gravityman
01-26-2006, 12:36
I am trying to figure out what the most efficient water proof/breathable material is on the market today. All brand loyalties aside...what are all ya'lls opinions on these three jackets:

First, I suggest a subscription to backpackinglight.com. They will really help you make your choice with some amazing reviews. It will save you money in the long run because it will help you pick gear you will like a lot more.

We thrued with the ID event jackets. We had a strange failure in Northern VA where they just seemed to leak all of a sudden. We contacted ID, they sent us new jackets, and we were happy. However, on very high humidity days with wind driven rain, it did seem that the water would get pushed through. I wonder if this was a function of not washing them enough (they claim they need to be washed often, but I don't know how often that is, and the worst part is, it's impossible to know if you have a problem until you are out there in the worst possible weather).
We have montbell paclite pants, are are very happy with the paclite, but it seems that people are starting to make jackets with the XCR gortex that weigh almost the same. The paclite is a bit more delicate, so given the choice between two jackets that wiegh only 2-3 oz more, I would pick XCR first, paclite next, event 3rd. The nicest thing about event was the amazing breathability.

Forget the NoH20. It is a PU membrane, similar to the precip. It is water proof, but the breathability is almost nothing.

Gravity

K-Man
01-26-2006, 12:46
Thanks for the info Gravity....You are the man!! I am jealous of where you live too...I love Boulder and the mountain sun pub.

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 12:52

All three of these jackets are somewhat similar with a full zip, pockets, and a functional hood. If you know of any other brands (mtn hardware, marmot, etc.) that are comparable in weight (in the 10oz range) and waterproofness, please include these in the list. I know there are lighter jackets of the same material, but these don't have full zips and/or pockets and/or vents. I am currently using a marmot Precip jacket and this thing is far from waterproof. It soaks through after only an hour of heavy rain. It seems to me that "you get what you pay for" is definitely true for rain gear, at least if you want something that you won't sweat like a hog in. Thanks for you help!!:clap

Ive owned 3 or 4 different rain jackets from different companies, and all of them have eventually gotten me wet in heavy, consistent downpours. it doesnt really matter what you buy, you may get a little wet.

but i certainly have not spent $300 on a rain jacket either! which i think is ridiculous.

K-Man
01-26-2006, 13:11
Agreed....that's what sales and clearances are for

bulldog49
01-26-2006, 13:53
The H2No fabric is not very breathable. From all the reviews I've read it sounds like Paclite is the best in terms of weatherproofing and breathability.

JoeHiker
01-26-2006, 14:59
I own the ID eVENT Jacket. Wore it for a hike on the Long Trail this fall. It was stellar. Kept me completely dry, very breathable, and all I needed was the chest pocket. I love it.

If you do get it, it runs a little snug so be sure to get a size with a little bit of room. I can wear medium in many jackets but I bought large with the ID jacket and did not regret it.

Zzzzdyd
01-26-2006, 15:00
you use it a little. The Gore tex products I have used have all worked well
when they were relatively new. Once you use them more, than a yuppie
puppy would posin though, your sweat stops up the inner coating that
Gore-tex must have to protect the real gore-tex and you lose all
breathability, causing you to sweat so much you would almost be better off
just letting the rain get you wet. I have had this happen just canoeing with
temp in the mid 30's F.

I still have a LL Bean Paclite rain jacket that I do like because its easy to
clean and bright yellow which I like for canoeing.

I have Marmot's 'Precip' jackets and pants and like it much better than any
Gore-tex I have tried thus far. I use it sparingly though because I believe
it's not to durable.

Looking forward to trying the new Red Ledge Thunderlight Rain jacket on
my next hike. From what I hear it's great value and does a real decent job.

I agree with Solemates. If it rains very long or very hard you are going to
get wet, you might as well accept it..

hammock engineer
01-26-2006, 15:18
I got the Golite Phantom from STP on clearance. It has the Gore tex material. The XXL weighs 15 oz. I tried it in some light to med rain, and everything seemed fine. I do like the pit zips for ventalation and the pockets. I went for this jacket instead of a lighter one for the duriblity. For me it is going to see a lot of use as a wind breaker layer.

I agree you get wet eventually, but a good rain jacket and synethic shirt underneath works well for me.

chris
01-26-2006, 22:17
Take a look in the Gear Reviews forum for a write up I did about the ID eVENT jacket. I've used things like GoreTex, Frogg Toggs, etc. The ID jacket is the best there is, period. Except maybe the Gore N2S pullover I've been using this winter. That might be better and cheaper, though slightly heavier and, perhaps, a little less water proof. But, it is a much sexier black color, which counts for a lot with me.

Whistler
01-26-2006, 22:27
C&C Outdoors has the ID jacket, yellow sizes small and large, on sale for $170 (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/fulfillmentadventures/indeevraja.html). A pretty good deal.
-Mark

verber
01-26-2006, 23:23
In terms of fabric breathability, eVENT has a good lead over everything else. The next best are a number of modern PU based (Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec used in the Peak Jacket, the latest H2No Stretch from Patagonia) and some of the non woven fabrics like Porpore. Third best is paclite and gore-tex xcr. After that, is everything else.

But breathability of the fabric isn't the whole story. Ventilation and air permiability has a huge impact. I found that a less breathable material used in the Montbell Peak jacket + large pitzips worked better for me that an unvented eVENT jacket. Likewise, a somewhat air permiable material like Propore worked better than a gore-tex paclite jacket which was approx the same "breathability" because the propore isn't as hot to wear. This is why softshells can be useful. Patagonia wrote a nice article called "What Precent of Naked" which is pretty good http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/stash/patagonia-testing.html

For links to a bunch of papers and studies, put my experience: http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html#rainshell

--Mark