PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Planning a Weekend Hike at Delaware Water Gap

"Bud"
04-07-2017, 11:14
I am trying to plan a trip for next weekend but I am having a tough time.I want to do water gap to high point but am worried this may be too much for 2.25 days. I have never hiked this area and have heard it is a very nice. I was looking into parking at Dunnfield (mile 1295.4) and hiking at dusk to the backpackers site (1298.9). I am worried this will be very crowded on a nice weather spring weekend but see that there are also tent sites in the 1302-1305 stretch further up the hill and around the mohican outdoor center. Anyone have any current GPX tracks of this area?

Sorry I am pretty new to this and the regulations seem much tougher to abide by than what I am used to.

somers515
04-07-2017, 12:19
Welcome to whiteblaze! Sorry I don't have the GPX tracks. Personally that would be too many miles for me in 2.25 days. I think you might find it more enjoyable if you broke that section roughly into half. Either go from DWG to Culver's Gap (Route 206) or Culver's Gap to High Point. I am familiar with the trail in NJ so if you have any other questions I'd be happy to try to help. The regulations don't seem to tough to abide by for me but maybe that's because I'm from NJ. I think most AT hikers from other states are pleasantly surprised by how nice the NJ AT is. Enjoy!

Slo-go'en
04-07-2017, 13:41
Looks like I broke it up into 3 days, 12.8 from the PA/NJ line to the campsite just past the Mohican center, 18 miles to Glen Anderson and then 13 miles to High point. Those last 13 miles were done in a cold rain, so was glad just to get to a shelter!

If you start late Friday afternoon, about the best you can hope for is the backpackers site. Then you have two very long days to get to High Point. Not overly difficult, but daylight hours are still a little short this time of year for a 20 mile day. It's doable for an experienced hiker with a fairly light pack and broken in shoes. Not knowing your level of experience it's hard to say if you should try this or not.

"Bud"
04-07-2017, 14:38
Welcome to whiteblaze! Sorry I don't have the GPX tracks. Personally that would be too many miles for me in 2.25 days. I think you might find it more enjoyable if you broke that section roughly into half. Either go from DWG to Culver's Gap (Route 206) or Culver's Gap to High Point. I am familiar with the trail in NJ so if you have any other questions I'd be happy to try to help. The regulations don't seem to tough to abide by for me but maybe that's because I'm from NJ. I think most AT hikers from other states are pleasantly surprised by how nice the NJ AT is. Enjoy!

I am thinking this is what I am going to do. How is parking at 206? Is it safe to leave my friends old car with nothing in it? Any ideas of a shuttle to DWG? I am putting together a map on ARCMap and will share a detailed trip plan when I finish it.

Dogwood
04-07-2017, 18:36
It's not a terribly strenuous segment. It's a night time hiking possible segment watching for rattlers and foraging smallish black bear opportunists. If you can knock out 5 or so miles on the first day after a stop at the overlooks of DWG near sunset and taking in the waterfall and Sunfish Pond(NOT a CS, nice forested cleaned up place to watch sunset though) to a CS first night you have to only avg 19-20 each the next two days. Get up EARLY. Start hiking by 8 a.m.on the first morning out and hike to 8 p.m with about a 2-2.5 mph pace over 10-11 hrs gets it done. Nothing epic or super fast about that hiking agenda being largely on ridge that first day. Second full day can be a shorter distance breeze IF you are in OK hiking condition and willing to approach your trip more as a hiker than a camper. Enjoy the position you put yourself in. Enjoy the extras. There aren't many huge climbs but stops offs like taking a dip in Catfish Lake at teh Mohican Outdoor Center(water seems to always be warm, short cut somewhat overgrown trail back to the AT at the end of the lake, ask), Sunrise Pavillion Lookout(one of the best AT views in NJ), stop off at High Pt, etc that might include eating away at the timeframe. Lots of AT thrus do that segment, and more, in your timeframe but they are in go go go thru-hiker shape. Go very light! Supplement food at one of the delis along the way to lower food wt hauls.

somers515
04-07-2017, 20:03
I am thinking this is what I am going to do. How is parking at 206? Is it safe to leave my friends old car with nothing in it? Any ideas of a shuttle to DWG? I am putting together a map on ARCMap and will share a detailed trip plan when I finish it.

There is a decent size parking lot a very short distance from where the AT crosses Route 206. Type in Culver's Gap into Google Maps and it should be easy to find, just a few feet north of Route 206 off of Upper North Shore Road. I've left my car there a couple of times all day with no problems. Whenever I have questions about parking I'll check out this website: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org, ask on whiteblaze or call the local police department.

When I needed a shuttle in that area I used George Lightcap and he was terrific. He charges what "you" think is fair. [email protected]. That was a couple of years ago so hopefully he still shuttles.

Sounds like your trip planning is coming along nicely! If you think of it, after the trip is over report back how it went!

QuietStorm
04-07-2017, 21:01
I'll be hiking Culver's Gap to DWG next weekend. I'm using Chuck from the outfitters in DWG to shuttle me. Will be parking in DWG and shuttling to Culver's Gap. Not sure where I'm overnighting. Doing the next leg to 284 the following weekend. Will probably use George for that I'd he's available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

somers515
04-07-2017, 22:43
I'll be hiking Culver's Gap to DWG next weekend. I'm using Chuck from the outfitters in DWG to shuttle me. Will be parking in DWG and shuttling to Culver's Gap. Not sure where I'm overnighting. Doing the next leg to 284 the following weekend. Will probably use George for that I'd he's available.

Nice. And if as you approach DWG and feel you want more hiking you can do a side trip up Mt. Tammany. Enjoy!

cecenj
04-07-2017, 23:11
Love that beautiful section! Yes, George Lightcap is still shuttling; I used his service recently and he is great.

QuietStorm
04-08-2017, 06:57
Nice. And if as you approach DWG and feel you want more hiking you can do a side trip up Mt. Tammany. Enjoy!

I've already finished Pennsylvania. Working on NJ now. Going SOBO for this hike so I can get some more of those apple cider donuts in DWG. ;)