PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike at night.

glen.
04-08-2017, 00:01
While I was out walking the dogs today, I had a strange thought. Has any one tried or completed a thru hike who only hiked over night? Can it be done? Are there any places that can not be accessed in the dark? Maybe Katahdin?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

-Rush-
04-08-2017, 00:17
If I were you I'd go for a FKT, night hike, naked, barefoot, unsupported, with a baby.

Dogwood
04-08-2017, 00:17
Don't give anyone the idea for another category of FKT's or "accomplishments."

loguon_theguy
04-08-2017, 00:20
or naked... anyone ever actually run into a naked hiker on the AT?

Dogwood
04-08-2017, 00:23
Hiking backwards wearing a red colored Scottish kilt the entire way limited to a 60 Lumen or less light source or mini Tiki torch. The rules are hiking only between 10 mins after sunset and 10 mins before sunrise.

Go for it. You can do it. Go after your dream. I'm sure you'll tell us about it.

Dogwood
04-08-2017, 00:25

Yeah. Have also seen nicked hikers in a cuben fiber Zpacks tent. Could see them clearly. uh huh huh ah huh

-Rush-
04-08-2017, 00:38
Yeah. Have also seen nicked hikers in a cuben fiber Zpacks tent. Could see them clearly. uh huh huh ah huh

How did this affect your hike?

Dogwood
04-08-2017, 00:57
Felt ohhh energized. You should start a hiker therapy practice with Malto specializing in serendipitous trail nakedness encounters and alleviating irrational bear fears.

I'm an arteest and Master Zen Buddhist well accustomed to the naked form without having to always be sexually triggered.

Seriously, if you haven't seen inadvertent nakedness on trail and not given it a second thought being able to exhibit self control you haven't done enough camping and hiking.

Keep it together folks.

MuddyWaters
04-08-2017, 07:22
If I were you I'd go for a FKT, night hike, naked, barefoot, unsupported, with a baby.

With a dog and gun, of course

Heliotrope
04-08-2017, 07:32
FKT doing the wheelbarrow with a partner. Changing roles along the way. Naked of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
04-08-2017, 07:40
This isnt in the humor forum? The responses should be. :banana

There are some people who night hike the AT. It becomes very popular in the Summer in the mid-atlantic states. Some people do it by accident.

map man
04-08-2017, 09:07
I have read lots of accounts of hikers hiking in the dark to the top of Katahdin so they could see the sunrise from atop the mountain so I assume there are no park rules prohibiting hiking up Katahdin in the dark -- though perhaps I assume too much. I think it would be pretty cool if someone decided to try to thru hike entirely in the dark, though it wouldn't be for me. If that person wrote about it that would make for a more interesting book than most of the thru-hike narratives that people publish.

egilbe
04-08-2017, 09:17
I have read lots of accounts of hikers hiking in the dark to the top of Katahdin so they could see the sunrise from atop the mountain so I assume there are no park rules prohibiting hiking up Katahdin in the dark -- though perhaps I assume too much. I think it would be pretty cool if someone decided to try to thru hike entirely in the dark, though it wouldn't be for me. If that person wrote about it that would make for a more interesting book than most of the thru-hike narratives that people publish.

Trailname: Vampire

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2017, 09:37
I've hiked short distances in the Whites above treeline during a full moon on a clear night. It's amazing how naturally bright it is and how well you can see without any artificial light. Wouldn't help much for most of the green tunnel though. It would be a small dark world filled with lots of reflecting eyes, mostly those of spiders in my experience. I think that while you'd experience some interesting stuff, like all the activity of the night critters, you'd miss a lot more as you'd sacrifice range of sight and color. We humans just aren't nocturnal animals.

rafe
04-08-2017, 10:35
I've hiked short distances in the Whites above treeline during a full moon on a clear night. It's amazing how naturally bright it is and how well you can see without any artificial light. Wouldn't help much for most of the green tunnel though. It would be a small dark world filled with lots of reflecting eyes, mostly those of spiders in my experience. I think that while you'd experience some interesting stuff, like all the activity of the night critters, you'd miss a lot more as you'd sacrifice range of sight and color. We humans just aren't nocturnal animals.

Yep, I was mostly thinking, "you'd miss a lot."

I could see walking fairly level, open terrain by moonlight or headlamp, but gnarly steep rock scrambles in near darkness? No thanks.

FreeGoldRush
04-08-2017, 10:42
Hours of darkness may limit daily miles. That is actually an interesting challenge. Sounds miserable, however.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2017, 10:47

Hiking backwards wearing a red colored Scottish kilt the entire way limited to a 60 Lumen or less light source or mini Tiki torch. The rules are hiking only between 10 mins after sunset and 10 mins before sunrise.

Go for it. You can do it. Go after your dream. I'm sure you'll tell us about it.

My dream has been to hike the Trail with raccoons on both shoulders while wearing a butt plug and going as fast as possible on a supported hike, i.e. wearing an athletic supporter---and never taking off my pack, like a turtle. It CAN be done. Like Dogwood it's my dream and I can do it; we must go after our dreams.

Slo-go'en
04-08-2017, 11:12
Yea, there's nothing like a group of night hikers coming into a shelter at 3 AM and waking everyone up. The main problem is night hiking slows you way down, probably by 20 to 50%. Hiking at night in the rain wouldn't be much fun either, that would really slow you down.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2017, 11:55
And you never know what friends you'll meet on the trail at night---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/20-Days-to-Panther-Branch-and/i-jfwGFw9/0/XL/TRIP%20136%20382-XL.jpg

Dogwood
04-08-2017, 12:04
After stepping on a fat Copperhead at night without a Tiki torch I'll never be the same. Very very weird when the initially supposed branch or rock you've stepped on in the dark slightly squishes down and starts to writhe away.

Dogwood
04-08-2017, 12:06
Yea, there's nothing like a group of night hikers coming into a shelter at 3 AM and waking everyone up. The main problem is night hiking slows you way down, probably by 20 to 50%. Hiking at night in the rain wouldn't be much fun either, that would really slow you down.

Ahh c'mon Randolph. Hiking in the rain and snow or under a full moon at night is exciting.

devoidapop
04-08-2017, 12:28
Foggy nights, lost in the Smokies. I guess it would be an adventure.

NY HIKER 50
04-08-2017, 12:34
Besides the joke factor I'm the realistic one. There are many places along the trail that are hazardous and where you need to proceed with caution. Certain parts should NOT be tried at nigh or the rescue teams will be doing a search. At night some blazes are too far apart to see in the light of a headlamp and you could get lost if not cautious. I should know, I do a lot of night hiking. One reason I'm a "creature of the night" is because my dermatologist is having a good time with the sun damage. The liquid nitrogen is no fun.

jdc5294
04-08-2017, 13:05
I'd say about 3-4% of my thru was done at night. I always wanted to stay in a shelter, so I left early in the season to avoid the crowds. That just left the requirement of making it to the shelter I wanted to each day, and sometimes (especially earlier on) I'd overestimate my ability to cover a certain distance in a given amount of time. Had a headlamp that was plenty bright, and I don't think I ever got lost. Might have slowed me down a little but I was never unhappy or worried doing it. Just remembered, the only exception to that rule was this one time someone I met and myself decided we wanted to cover 60 miles in a day to the next town. Started at 3am, finished around 11pm. I think it was Waynesboro, but can't say for certain.

Miner
04-08-2017, 13:13
I remember talking to a guy who hiked the PCT mostly at night. He got in the habit in the deserts early on and continued it further up north. However, on the PCT, you can often see at night due to the trees being spaced far apart or being above tree line. That won't work on the AT with how dense the vegetation is. What would be the point of thru-hiking the AT at night if you can't see anything outside the spotlight of your light? You'd miss all the scenery that you are there to see.

Bronk
04-08-2017, 13:27
Road crossings can be difficult in the dark. I've had to abort a night hike before and camp by the road because I couldn't tell where the trail went back into the woods on the other side of the road. In the morning it was pretty obvious. The other thing is that the illusion of remoteness and solitude is shattered when you see lights from houses nearby. I like night hiking, and would encourage anyone to try it, but I wouldn't do it during sections where I knew there were scenic views or other attractions.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2017, 13:47
Of all the backpacking trails I can think of, the AT would be the easiest on a nighthike. Bronk brings up a good point on road crossings. Reminds me of how difficult it is to do a long creek trail at night with many creek crossings. Not on the AT though, but on other trails like Jacks River or Slickrock Creek or Conasauga or Snowbird Creek etc.

saltysack
04-08-2017, 16:30
And you never know what friends you'll meet on the trail at night---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/20-Days-to-Panther-Branch-and/i-jfwGFw9/0/XL/TRIP%20136%20382-XL.jpg

Dammit tipi....snakes avoid the trail at night![emoji51]I'll keep using my real 2oz headlight!

Slo-go'en
04-08-2017, 17:28
Ahh c'mon Randolph. Hiking in the rain and snow or under a full moon at night is exciting.

Yes, it is. Rather not do too much more of it though. I've got some stories...

Slo-go'en
04-08-2017, 17:32
Road crossings can be difficult in the dark. I've had to abort a night hike before and camp by the road because I couldn't tell where the trail went back into the woods on the other side of the road. In the morning it was pretty obvious. The other thing is that the illusion of remoteness and solitude is shattered when you see lights from houses nearby. I like night hiking, and would encourage anyone to try it, but I wouldn't do it during sections where I knew there were scenic views or other attractions.

Finding where the trail goes back into the woods can be tricky in daylight! Same with streams. We lost the trail which crossed a stream leading to a relocated campsite. After a while we just said screw it and camped where we were.

dm1333
04-08-2017, 19:47

Yup, and it wasn't a pretty sight! :eek:

Lone Wolf
04-08-2017, 19:55
While I was out walking the dogs today, I had a strange thought. Has any one tried or completed a thru hike who only hiked over night? Can it be done? Are there any places that can not be accessed in the dark? Maybe Katahdin?

blind folks do it durin' the day

glen.
04-08-2017, 20:23
Trailname: Vampire

Or Night Stalker

glen.
04-08-2017, 20:24
Yep, I was mostly thinking, "you'd miss a lot."

I could see walking fairly level, open terrain by moonlight or headlamp, but gnarly steep rock scrambles in near darkness? No thanks.

How about the toughest mile in the dark?

Old Hillwalker
04-08-2017, 20:29
Several years ago while working with an AT Boundary recovery team we discussed doing a thru hike utilizing the AT Boundary swath where it exists rather than the traditional AT footpath. What it is: The AT Boundary swath is located on both sides of the trail. It is mostly a clear corridor about six to ten feet wide and blazed in yellow paint. About every 500 feet there is an aluminum AT Monument usually set flush with the ground. Each monument is serial numbered and has the initials of the state it is located in. The actual swath width ranges from around 500 feet on either side of the AT footpath and often much wider. Where the AT passes through National Forest and other governmental holdings the corridor boundary swath does not exist. Since there are essentially two swaths a person would have to do a yo-yo to get it all. 3901139012

Picture of an AT Monument
The boundary swath in the Mahoosucs

NY HIKER 50
04-08-2017, 20:37
Several years ago while working with an AT Boundary recovery team we discussed doing a thru hike utilizing the AT Boundary swath where it exists rather than the traditional AT footpath. What it is: The AT Boundary swath is located on both sides of the trail. It is mostly a clear corridor about six to ten feet wide and blazed in yellow paint. About every 500 feet there is an aluminum AT Monument usually set flush with the ground. Each monument is serial numbered and has the initials of the state it is located in. The actual swath width ranges from around 500 feet on either side of the AT footpath and often much wider. Where the AT passes through National Forest and other governmental holdings the corridor boundary swath does not exist. Since there are essentially two swaths a person would have to do a yo-yo to get it all. 3901139012

Picture of an AT Monument
The boundary swath in the Mahoosucs

I was an AT boundary monitor myself and it can be tough in some places without the "tools of the trade" Some places can be severely overgrown and chopping those thorn bushes is hard.

Old Hillwalker
04-08-2017, 20:56
There are a couple of places in Maine where the surveyors went right up over and down cliffs. When we had to verify the monument locations we utilized the team member who had rock climbing experience with ropes and stuff. Which were utilized on occasion. You're right, there is some tough brush cutting involved in recovering the boundary. Kudos to you for your work and all the other volunteers who spend the days "bushwhacking along beside the trail".

Here is a pretty good video on Corridor Monitoring for those of you who would like to know more about this important process to help keep our trail in existence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9L5fTHP1wM

imscotty
04-08-2017, 21:56

It could be argued that Bill Irwin accomplished this.

Slow Trek
04-09-2017, 00:04
It occurs to me if you break your ankle at 2 PM someone will be along soon. If you break your ankle at 2 AM,something will be along. Soon. Hope it is not bigger than you....

Malto
04-09-2017, 06:23
Felt ohhh energized. You should start a hiker therapy practice with Malto specializing in serendipitous trail nakedness encounters and alleviating irrational bear fears.

I'm an arteest and Master Zen Buddhist well accustomed to the naked form without having to always be sexually triggered.

Seriously, if you haven't seen inadvertent nakedness on trail and not given it a second thought being able to exhibit self control you haven't done enough camping and hiking.

Keep it together folks.

I love it when people build on ideas. I will check the online degree catalogue and add that to the cart as well.

I have done a good deal of night hiking on the AT including much of Ga, Pa and Md on various hikes. The AT in general is pretty easy to night hike thanks to the nice white blazes. The biggest issues I have had where at road crossings. A good example of this was last year on the four state challenge yo yo. I was about 4 am and I hear voices and starting seeing lights which is not at all common on the trail. When I meet up with the people attached to those voice they were extremely glad to see me. They had spent a couple hours at a road/stream crossing trying to find the trail.

As far as the experience, it really depends on what you are looking for. You will have little human interactions other than maybe getting sprayed with bear spray by scared hikers. The scenery is different but not lacking. I night hiked north out of Port Clinton and the view from the Pinnacle that cold clear night was breathtaking and one of the coolest scenes I have experienced on the AT. But you would also miss out on others. If you are doing this in the colder months then you should expect icy conditions. I have quite an interesting time night hiking Mcaffee knob and tinker cliffs at night with rock hard icy. You will see a lot of critters. I see a lot of skunks and in N. Pa, Fishers. You will see beady little eyes staring at you and your imagination will run wild. Night hiking will slow you down but since there are less "distractions" it may not be much of an impact. Businesses will be closed so that would need to planned for or worked around. Sleeping in the day would be interesting, certainly would rule out shelters unless your in the off season.

Bottom line, I think this works well in excel hiking, is a generally unnecessary options but few do this on a regular basis.

George
04-09-2017, 07:12
My dream has been to hike the Trail with raccoons on both shoulders while wearing a butt plug and going as fast as possible on a supported hike, i.e. wearing an athletic supporter---and never taking off my pack, like a turtle. It CAN be done. Like Dogwood it's my dream and I can do it; we must go after our dreams.

be sure and make that plug out of fresh ginger root daily

Bansko
04-10-2017, 11:19
I love night hiking. About once a week I'd hike all day, then all night and into most of the next day. It's just something I liked to do, for a lot of reasons. That said, the idea of doing the entire AT at night is nuts.

bamboo bob
04-10-2017, 12:17
I remember talking to a guy who hiked the PCT mostly at night. He got in the habit in the deserts early on and continued it further up north. However, on the PCT, you can often see at night due to the trees being spaced far apart or being above tree line. That won't work on the AT with how dense the vegetation is. What would be the point of thru-hiking the AT at night if you can't see anything outside the spotlight of your light? You'd miss all the scenery that you are there to see.

I hiked at night in the rain on the PCT. Thirty-nine miles into Snoqualamie Pass. It was an idiotic thing to do.

Tipi Walter
04-10-2017, 12:21
Heck sometimes I don't even hike during the day.

rocketsocks
04-10-2017, 12:24
be sure and make that plug out of fresh ginger root dailyif ya use a hot pepper you'll go faster.

Bansko
04-10-2017, 12:25

I definitely see your point about night hiking on the AT, but I had few night hikes down south before the trees leaved, on moonlit nights, when I hiked for hours with no headlamp. That ceased once the leaves came out.

dudeijuststarted
04-10-2017, 12:48
I love night hiking on a clear night. In a monsoon, it is a brutal experience, but quite exhilirating. We got the idea to continue on to Waynesboro and the infamous Ming after a 21 mile day to Blackrock Hut. We got to the bottom of the mountain and it started to rain. Then a text came in from my girlfriend in California about flash floods hitting Virginia. Within seconds it was pitch black. We made it 7 miles in 3 hours and slept 2 men to a tent in a parking lot in SNP, then had to wake up before rangers found us in this precariously embarassing predicament.

On another night in the Whites I heard a voice south of Kinsman say "hello" and saw no one. I kept hiking as I had suddenly lost my appetite for this potential stealth spot and I saw a man hobbling ahead of me. He was injured badly with a severe ankle sprain, and thought it was only one mile to his car at Beaver Brook. I had to correct him and inform him it was at least 4 miles. This man refused any assistance but insisted on staying within range of him. Several hours later we were out of the woods and he cruised back to Boston, ego shattered. Such as the Whites are ought to do.

Night hiking provides for the best adventures.

RockDoc
04-10-2017, 13:47
"Don't hike at night because there are things that will eat you out there"---a direct quote from a NC lodge owner as he drove us up to Fontana Dam.

4eyedbuzzard
04-10-2017, 14:24
if ya use a hot pepper you'll go faster.LOL. I didn't even have to look over to the left to know who posted this. Not that it's a bad thing or anything. :p

CrumbSnatcher
04-10-2017, 18:18
over 1000 miles of night hiking with my Dog over 4 thru hikes. mainly cause she was a big black haired dog that stayed much cooler at night. i remember talking my friends into a night hike from walnut Mountain shelter into Hot Spring N.C. about 8 of us cowboy camped til around midnight i believe, about 3 hikers went on to Deer park Mountain shelter just outside of Hot Springs to be closer to town for an early arrival into town. we packed up and hiked out around midnight & took it pretty easy all the way, sun came up around the time we reached deer park Mountain shelters turn off. i stopped waited for the others, i was starring down the shelter trail and someone ask me if it was nice down there? i said **** i don't know, never been down there, too close to town for me! anyways it was funny as **** when the 3 hikers that moved on to deer park to be closer to town, rolled into the smoky Mountain diner and saw us all already ordering our breakfast :) they thought we yellow blazed into town...i night hiked a few times without the dog, didn't really care for it. with her i felt safe as could be! we even crashed right on the trail a few times.

saltysack
04-11-2017, 11:55
if ya use a hot pepper you'll go faster.

[emoji38]

Greenlight
04-11-2017, 11:57
My second section hike on the AT, I night hiked from Washington Monument south into Boonsboro MD, got a beer at the Old South Mountain Inn as they were closing up, and continued on to Dahlgren Backpacker's Camp where I hammocked for the night, then backtracked to my car at the pedestrian bridge over I-70. This was the end of March last year. It was quite fun. I think I'll do it regularly when I attempt to thru in a couple of years.

This isnt in the humor forum? The responses should be. :banana

There are some people who night hike the AT. It becomes very popular in the Summer in the mid-atlantic states. Some people do it by accident.

saltysack
04-11-2017, 11:58

Please dispose of that pepper properly when finished! LNT!

glassman
04-13-2017, 20:49
I've gone on night hikes on clear full moon nights and it's great. On one occasion we had just decided to push on to the next camping spot and it had gotten so dark the trail became not clear visually so we used the more dense feel of the ground where others had gone help lead us until we saw the next blaze.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
04-14-2017, 09:56
"Don't hike at night because there are things that will eat you out there"---a direct quote from a NC lodge owner as he drove us up to Fontana Dam.

Reminds me of a trip I did about 12 years ago when I came out of the woods after a couple weeks backpacking and stopped in a campground and talked to a lifelong hunter in the TN mountains. I asked him why hunters don't carry packs and spend the night outside. "We don't spend the night because there's too many critters!!!"

Weird.

NY HIKER 50
04-15-2017, 13:06

Hey,, not to take over the thread but most people seem to use paper for pain without realizing it. It does seem to do this because of the capsicison. (I know I did not spell that right.)

shelb
04-19-2017, 00:39
Interesting question! I love hiking at night!

Starchild
04-19-2017, 07:45
I'm sure it can be done, but as said some sections are very sketchy, especially southern Maine. One would adjust to night hiking over the time and be able to read the trail, many times might go without a headlamp on.

The sections that would be closed that I can think of would be the Bear Mountain Bridge is/was closed to pedestrian traffic and that IIRC depends on the terror alert color. Bear Mtn Zoo, one would need to take the bypass trail. And I believe, though hikers have done it, Katahdin is closed at night. Also I don't think you would technically need a permit for the Smokies as the permit is for staying at the shelters at night, you can't get one to stay at them during the day. But that may be something you would need to state in front of the judge.

terryg49
04-19-2017, 08:59
I believe that Father's Day is the traditional hike naked day