PDA

View Full Version : Budget for Food

cassyr
01-26-2006, 11:49
Hey everyone,

Im getting a little nervous about how much money Im going to need for food on a thru hike. Im planning on dehydrating as much as I can and resupplying on maildrops as opposed to buying as I go. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for what they think they'll spend per week or so?

Footslogger
01-26-2006, 12:00
Thought back over my typical menu from 2003 and it seems to me that (without town stops and restaurant food) I spent between $30 and $35 a week on food. Some foods I bought in bulk and repackaged so they lasted several days. I was a light breakfast eater. I typically had pnut butter crackers or tuna for lunch. I generally ate a warm and filling dinner.

Your budget is going to depend a great deal on your appetite and food selections. I found ways over time to economize and I think that despite my appetite increasing I actually spent less on foods in certain areas.

'Slogger

cassyr
01-26-2006, 12:32
yeah, i am planning on peanut butter/jelly/pita/cheese/dry fruit type lunches and oatmeal/cereal type breakfasts with maybe a few pancake days in there. ha. and good, warm, delicous dinners.

But do you really think 35 bucks a week? Dont get me wrong, I tihnk thats great. Im just trying to do the math quickly in my head now!

Footslogger
01-26-2006, 12:48
But do you really think 35 bucks a week? Dont get me wrong, I tihnk thats great. Im just trying to do the math quickly in my head now!
==================================
Well ...our diets/quantity are likely different but that's what it cost me on average. I splurged occasionally, especially when I was in a town doing my re-supply and I went into the store while I was hungry. Everything LOOKS SO GOOD !! But then you have to carry it on your back for the next 4 - 6 days and you learn your lesson.

I can definitely feed myself on the trail for between $5 and $7 a day. I ate Quaker breakfast bars (either 1 or 2 depending on morning hunger). I mixed 20 oz of gatorade/tang and had that with the breakfast bars. The bars came 6 in a box for around $3 and I bought the gatorade/tang powder in bulk so it lasted several days. Lunch was generally 1 - 2 packages of pnut butter/cheeze crackers or a tuna packet and pita pouch. Dinners were either a Lipton, StoveTop stuffing mix and chicken chunks, pasta wheels or Ramen/4 cheeze potatoes or Mac anc Cheeze.

It wasn't a lavish or gourmet diet but it kept the engine running. I made up for it by having a nice big burger or steak and fresh veggies every now and then in towns.

'Slogger

Whistler
01-26-2006, 20:33
I eat probably more than most [35-40oz/day], and end up at about $8-10/day for hiking food. That does not include restaurant meals, but often includes a grocery gorge or 'treats' for the first dayout.

-Mark

neo
01-28-2006, 14:36
the cheapest place i have found to resupply in trail towns are dollar general stores,fuel is 50 cents a bottle aka methyl alcohol fuel line antifreeze,oat meal a dollar a box,all kinds of food cheap,cheap prices on first aid supplies also:cool: neo

Peaks
01-28-2006, 17:54
Well, to answer your question, I spent about $3.25 per day for groceries average. In addition, I spent money for ice cream and snacks, and in restaurants. And I had several mail drops that are not included in the per day amount. So, your budget will be diffent based on how many town days you take, number of mail drops, etc.

But trail food is only one part of the cost of thru-hiking. It was only about 25% of what I spent.

Elsewhere there are posts about budgets. Most people seem to spend at least $1.50 per mile, which works out to $3000 or better for a thru-hike. If it takes the average hiker 5 1/2 months to thru-hike, then the per day budget is around $20.

SalParadise
01-28-2006, 19:22
Peaks makes a really good point. I'd also agree with $3-5,000, depending on how comfortable you want to be. My food cost percentage was about the same, so even with some maildrops it's not going to make a huge difference. Motel stays were rough on my budget and one night at a bar will add up quick, $100 per day in town, motel included, isn't unreasonable.

Ridge
01-29-2006, 03:33
I used wholesale bulk food items, wife-made power bars and gorp, used very little town bought foods to carry back to the trail. Beer, pizza and AYCE's was biggest splurge items. Never stayed in a motel or purchased fuel (used a Sierra Zip woodburner). Total spendings around $1500 which included transportation, but this is only an estimate. Note: You have to eat whether you're on the trail or at home, so I find it kinda redundant to figure the cost on the mailed stuff. If fact, you are probably saving money by hiking the trail over staying at home if you figure all the drive-in foods, take-outs, gas for the car, ect. The big negative is giving up your income making ability while away.

Omni
03-18-2006, 23:42
the cheapest place i have found to resupply in trail towns are dollar general stores,fuel is 50 cents a bottle aka methyl alcohol fuel line antifreeze,oat meal a dollar a box,all kinds of food cheap,cheap prices on first aid supplies also:cool: neo

A big +1 on the first aid supplys. They have 1 inch gauze wraps that are sealed in a sterile peelable container for $1.00 each. I can fit one inside the small Wal-mart first aid kits along with the stuff that was included in the kit..

Omni

fiddlehead
03-21-2006, 00:36
1$ a mile including town food. if you're talking only trail food, maybe half of that. (ball park figure) have fun.