PDA

View Full Version : Neosporin (Antibacterial cream/ointment ) as deodorant?

Starchild
04-08-2017, 08:44
Anyone use some form of first aide antibacterial ointment as an alternative to carrying deodorant on long distance hikes? It does seem to make sense and it's one less thing to carry if one wants to defunk the armpits at times. Any experience?

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2017, 09:16
Sounds like it might be something to test out - in moderation. But if you disturb the balance of your little walking ecosystem too much, lots of worse things than odor can happen, like rashes, fungal infections, etc.

egilbe
04-08-2017, 09:21
Too greasy. Being sweaty is bad enough.

DuneElliot
04-08-2017, 09:22
I over-used some ant-biotic ointment once...I ended up with a major sore and skin sloughing. It was ugly. I would say it's probably not a good idea.

StubbleJumper
04-08-2017, 10:16
Deodorant? Normally you're hiking at temperatures of 75+ degrees and reasonably humid. For me, that makes deodorant rather pointless. I will sweat like a pig every day, which pretty much overwhelms any product that could be used to mask the smell. I just go for a swim on the occasions when it's possible, and sponge bath using plain water on other occasions, and that's about the best I can do.

-Rush-
04-08-2017, 11:06
Try hand sanitizer. It'll knock the smell out and you're already carrying it.

lwhikerchris
04-08-2017, 11:12
Neosporin in your armpits? What's next, peanut butter in your ass crack? Either use a small container of gold bond powder or don't use it at all.

MuddyWaters
04-08-2017, 11:16
Wipe with a little alcohol stove fuel
Ethanol of course

Dogwood
04-08-2017, 12:19
Anyone use some form of first aide antibacterial ointment as an alternative to carrying deodorant on long distance hikes? It does seem to make sense and it's one less thing to carry if one wants to defunk the armpits at times. Any experience?

I like the way you're thinking by multi using. I'm usually already carrying DIY essential oils in an almond oil base for insects or small reduced amount of concentrated Dr Bronners Peppermint or Citrus liquid soap.

TTT
04-08-2017, 12:29
Drink mint tea. You can wash with it and add it to food to provide iron. Nothing goes to waste

Dogwood
04-08-2017, 12:30
Or peppermint tea.

Trailweaver
04-08-2017, 15:30
Just don't use deodorant (trust me, no one else is going to), & wash up at night using a bandana. Removing bacteria with water (& soap, but not near the creek) is by far more effective. Using Neo as a deodorant? No.

TKE402
04-08-2017, 21:05
Don't listen to the haters. This is one of my must haves to my tool kit. I use generic antibiotic ointment with no additives like pain relief. A little on the pits and crotch area and no stink or at least not as bad. Plus the generic kind has a lot of petroleum jelly which helps prevent chaffing. Also you can add the ointment to paper or cottonballs for firestarting. Not to mention the obvious use for cuts etc.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Miner
04-08-2017, 22:34
If you are just using it to stop odor, then its pointless on a long hike. You and everyone else will stink anyway, and you won't even notice it after awhile. Its more useful to rinse off the dirt and salt deposits (from your sweat) on your body if you have access to enough water then just worrying about odor.

cliffordbarnabus
04-08-2017, 22:58
why not smell like a human? what's wrong with that? i'm a human. i'm assuming you are too.

click here if you're a robot [ ]

4eyedbuzzard
04-09-2017, 09:24
Don't listen to the haters. This is one of my must haves to my tool kit. I use generic antibiotic ointment with no additives like pain relief. A little on the pits and crotch area and no stink or at least not as bad. Plus the generic kind has a lot of petroleum jelly which helps prevent chaffing. Also you can add the ointment to paper or cottonballs for firestarting. Not to mention the obvious use for cuts etc.

Sent from my RS988 using TapatalkWho's hating? Many have simply pointed out that there may be unintended negative consequences such as skin problems due to either messing up your skin's microbe balance or from the base ingredients in many ointments. That and the fact that nothing is going to make an unbathed sweaty hiker smell like anything other than what they are.

BuckeyeBill
04-09-2017, 16:06
I found you can get a 1 ounce bottle of Gold Bond from Walmart for less than $2.00. Good for more than just smelling better.

DownEaster
04-10-2017, 11:59
Try hand sanitizer. It'll knock the smell out and you're already carrying it.
Nope; never carry the stuff. I use soap (Dr. Bronner's) and water to actually get my hands clean rather than just sterilized.

Francis Sawyer
04-10-2017, 13:25
If you really feel the need why not just carry the deodorant? Trying to be clever or uber-resourceful is going to end in disappointment most of the time. Some things are worth the weight if they're going to make you more comfortable. Excepting large musical instruments or electrical appliances.

perdidochas
04-10-2017, 13:26

I doubt very much that it would work. I think the vaseline base would clog your pores.

HooKooDooKu
04-10-2017, 13:36
If you're that concerned with cleanliness, then simply take some camp soap and give yourself something like a sponge bath daily.
When I hiked the JMT last summer, that's what I did to wash off the day's sunscreen before climbing into my sleeping bag for the night.

All you need is a small section of an old 'camp towel' to use as a wash rag, and full size one to dry off with. To make things even more comfortable, I would warm the wash water in my JetBoil stove.
Just make sure to do your actual bathing way from the water source. You don't want to be getting the soap into the local water ways.

Alligator
04-10-2017, 13:48
If you are just using it to stop odor, then its pointless on a long hike. You and everyone else will stink anyway, and you won't even notice it after awhile. Its more useful to rinse off the dirt and salt deposits (from your sweat) on your body if you have access to enough water then just worrying about odor.I agree with your post but was thinking perhaps one place where limited use could be helpful-heading in to town hitching a ride. Town folk know thruhikers stink but a little prevention might improve perceptions off-trail.