PDA

View Full Version : pot cozy materials

gothicsurf
04-08-2017, 10:37
what material was used to make a pot cozy before the insulation reflectix became available? I am thinking of a durable open-cell foam that is also heat resistant. Asking out of curiosity but also because you have not buy a big roll of the new stuff, and in thinking of reducing waste, maybe there's something I already have. If nothing else, is there a supplier that sells reflectix by the yard?

Tipi Walter
04-08-2017, 10:43
Get a walmart blue foam pad---cut to size, using duct tape to form.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/17-Days-in-the-Snow/i-tj5bhT3/0/XL/TRIP%20172%20102-XL.jpg

saltysack
04-08-2017, 12:03
Lots of car sun windshield reflectors made of reflectix....got mine out of my neighbors trash....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnspenn
04-08-2017, 12:25
Open celled foam is literally a sponge. It will soak up water. FYI PSA and etc. Closed cell foam (like the Walmart option above) would probably be more appropriate. It can melt at high temps though, so you'd want to be careful how hot your container is before putting it in your cozy.

MuddyWaters
04-08-2017, 12:30
how about a second ziplock for security, and your sleeping bag

saltysack
04-08-2017, 13:01
Check out Joe brewers site for easy cheap diy kit....backcountry banter

Odd Man Out
04-08-2017, 19:51
I first used silver mylar lined bubble wrap (refletix), but found it to collapse with time. have since switched to silver mylar coated flexible polystyrene (dollar store car sunscreen). Aluminum tape to hold it together.

TTT
04-08-2017, 21:49
I don't understand the need for a cosy. Looks like a lot of effort that serves a minimum purpose.

Venchka
04-08-2017, 22:54
I don't understand the need for a cosy. Looks like a lot of effort that serves a minimum purpose.
When trying to steep and rehydrate dehydrated food for 20-30 minutes it's nice to have warm food when it's ready to eat.
Wayne

handlebar
04-08-2017, 23:00
I don't understand the need for a cosy. Looks like a lot of effort that serves a minimum purpose. Food will continue to cook while in a cozy so it can save fuel, although I find it's most useful to keep my food hot while I eat since I eat slowly---especially nice if it's cold.

hipbone
04-08-2017, 23:04
Reflectix food cozy cuts my fuel consumption in half and keeps my meal steaming hot while I eat it. Weighs 17 grams...

saltysack
04-08-2017, 23:31

I used to feel the same way......try it you'll like it....what's the point of heating water for a hot meal to eat it cold after it rehydrates 20 minutes later? I used to put my food bag in my beenie to keep warm while dehydrating until it spilled a few times....damn Hawk vittles bags don't reseal.....so simple, light and effective...weighs nearly the same as the stuff sack it replaces to contain your pot etc...

RockDoc
04-08-2017, 23:46
We made a cozy with lid out of spare Warm Windows fabric about 10 years ago and have used it for dozens, if not hundreds, of meals. I figure we have saved gallons of expensive canister fuel, and extended the use of small cartridges to 5 or 6 days instead of 2 or 3. All we do is boil the water, turn off the stove, add the food, put the pot in the cozy, and wait 5 or 10 minutes. It cooks while in the cozy, without losing much heat.

Definitely a keeper, and weighs 1.55 oz.

TTT
04-09-2017, 08:23
Thanks for the input. My thinking is if you have 10-20 minutes to spare, you can let your food hydrate in cold water before cooking as you would with difficult foods such as beans.

gbolt
04-09-2017, 09:42
Darwin on the Trail and Big Foot have video's that show how to make both the food pouch and a cup insulator. I use the food pouch more than the cup but others are probably the opposite. It works extremely well to good meals in a pouch and to keep fluids hot in the cup. If you are rich and not really a DIY person; AGG has a kit and a corresponding video (I beleive it's on their website) that shows how to insulate their pot as well. However, it works for all cups/pots.

atraildreamer
04-09-2017, 11:46
Use a reusable, insulated shopping bag. Cut a piece to size, sew it together. You will have a cozy with the reflecting foil on the inside and a cloth-like material on the outside that is easy to grip and acts like a potholder!

RockDoc
04-09-2017, 13:08
No, it doesn't take that long. You are obviously against the concept out of hand for some vague reason.

RockDoc
04-09-2017, 13:10
And the idea that you can rehydrate beans (or hey, try rice) in cold spring water is laughable.

Tipi Walter
04-09-2017, 13:38
And the idea that you can rehydrate beans (or hey, try rice) in cold spring water is laughable.

So true, but newbs won't find out until they eat a bunch of crunchy undercooked beans and wake up all night with severe indigestion.

Handlebar is right---Food will continue to cook in a pot cozy thereby saving in stove fuel etc. The pot cozy is a vital part of the home-dehydrating process whereby you prepare all your meals at home before a trip. The cozy is just part of the in-field food prep.

I have found it best to take cooked beans and cooked rice and first blend them up in a food blender and THEN dry this mix so when you bring to boil on a trip they rehydrate easily and after 30 minutes in the cozy are ready to eat as a gruel.

TTT
04-09-2017, 16:36
I used beans merely as an example in that soaking certain foods before cooking speeds up the process. I've never used a cosy but have seen many that do. I'm not against the idea even if it looks like a tacky afterthought with a low return in investment. The dehydrated food I have is rather refined and would probably re-hydrate using spit.

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2017, 19:29
Although I am a huge fan of Reflectix - anything you can do to keep the air away from your meal without melting the material to trap the air... So a lightweight cozy is key. It has to hug the pot or the meal in a FBC or metalized bag. Some here will wrap their meal in their fleece jacket.. I don't recommend a down jacket as they are more expensive.

BuckeyeBill
04-10-2017, 02:43
As far as beans go, I have had great success putting dry beans in a Nalgene water bottle 24-30 hours ahead of time. I then filling the bottle with water. At first I fill and shake the bottle a couple times to rinse the dirt out. The next evening I pour any water off and then put the beans in a pot, add onions and some ham (or another type of meat) and heat things up. You just need to plan ahead of time. I can then use the Nalgene as a water bottle. (I have a 2L bladder in a hydration sleeve in my pack.)

BuckeyeBill
04-10-2017, 02:44
Oh I do have a cozy for the pot too keep my food hot until I finish eating.

Maineiac64
04-10-2017, 05:54
If you're not into diy the optimus cozy works very well.

RangerZ
04-10-2017, 07:29
I have a cozy made to fit my 0.7 snow peak pot. I put my fbc in it to rehydrate and keep warm while eating. Then I slide it onto the pot to keep the extra water hot for tea. Keeps the hot pot from burning the hands also.

I use the rest of the reflector roll under my sleeping bag on top of thermo rest on particularly cold trips.

shelb
04-14-2017, 22:51
Thank you for the great ideas!!!!

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 21:55
Windshield screen from any dollar store.

Wise Old Owl
04-24-2017, 00:49

You may be right. Its to save fuel and a well made reflectix won't take much room and is uber light. Great for storing meds while on the trail. Keeps the heat from your back away from the meds. I still get cold stream water and slide the bladder into a fitting reflectix wrap.

Now sold in affordable rolls at the hardware stores. Buy the Aluminum tape.

saltysack
04-24-2017, 11:22

I used to just use my beenie until the bag leaked.....the reflectix cosy is for those who want a warm/hot meal after a long day! Why bring a stove if you want a cold meal?

Turk6177
04-24-2017, 13:37
I made my own out of one of those grocery store insulated bags you can purchase to keep food hot or cold. I used some scissors, hot glue and adhesive velcro to make a pouch that would hold my 1l ziplock freezer bags. I have also heard of using sunshade car window shade material as well. For that matter, I have even used my fleece hat to keep my food warm while reconstituting.

Farr Away
04-24-2017, 14:31
My first cozy was reflectix. One of my tuna mac and cheese ziplocs didn't get sealed well, which led to tuna juice in the cozy and no good way to clean it out. Yuck!

My second cozy was made out of some leftover materials from making my overquilt. When I get back from a trip, I just throw it in the washing machine and and then the dryer. Much better!!

-FA