PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the whites

K2 Travels
04-08-2017, 12:46
So I have 6 days free. I live in Ohio so I am setting aside two days for travel, leaving four days of backpacking in the whites.

Those who are familiar with this area what would be a great trip for me to do?

Not looking to push my body to the limits on my first trip to this area, but I do want to make the most of my time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

K2

egilbe
04-08-2017, 13:03
Dates? Any time frame?

K2 Travels
04-08-2017, 13:42
Doesn't matter at all.

moldy
04-08-2017, 14:18
I would do Crawford to Pinkham. The Presidential Range and Washington. Nothing better in good weather

JEBjr
04-08-2017, 14:55
I would try to work Franconia Ridge into a trip to the Whites. We enjoyed our stay at the Notch Hostel.

Hikingjim
04-08-2017, 15:35
pemi loop would be a great choice for great scenery, a good challenge, but no big rush with your timeframe. 31.5 miles, goes over franconia ridge. Google it and have a look
If you finish it a day early, you could go somewhere else for a day hike. Mt washington area, etc

peakbagger
04-08-2017, 16:36
You could do the Pemi Loop or a modified version. Getting up here from Ohio could take more than a day unless you are driving up. If you take the bus out of Boston there are only two daily buses to Lincoln and only one to Pinkham Notch, the early morning bus connects up with the AMC shuttle. https://concordcoachlines.com/route/littleton-plymouth-nh-boston-logan-airport/

The Pemi loop has two above treeline sections, Bondcliff and Lafayette to Lincoln with several other open summits. If you do it counterclockwise out of Lincoln (from Lincoln Woods parking), the first day is long walk in via an old railroad grade and then one of the better graded ascents up to the ridgeline (Lincoln Woods trail, the Bondcliff trail. Camping options are pretty limited. The first day most folk start early and end up at Guyot Campsite that is always busy. Soon after Guyot you are on the AT. Second night is Garfield Ridge Shelter after a long day. Third night is Liberty Springs campsite. Last days off the AT via Liberty and Flume and then down off the ridge via Osseo trail. You would get out around 3 to 4 PM. In good weather you will get blown away by the scenery and hiking but be aware its three days od significant distance and elevation. In bad weather it can be dangerous as the trail is the top of the ridgeline and above treeline in spots which is a bad place to be in thunderstorms. There are bail out routes in few spots down into the heart of the Pemi or you can always head down to one of the AMC hut trailheads.

Its important to note the bus stop is 5 miles from Lincoln Woods. There is a local for profit shuttle service that you can make arrangements for a ride or you can hitch as there is really is only one road through Lincoln and its ends up on the Kancamangus Highway which goes right past Lincoln Woods. Alternatively you can start at the Whitehouse bridge lot on the Parkway and take Liberty Spring trail up to Liberty Springs Shelter. This is a very steep introduction to the whites 2500 feet in less than 2 miles. This works if you connect up with the AMC shuttle to get from the bus station and pay for ride up to the trailhead. I don't recommend hitching it as the trailhead is in obscure location. Its also 6 miles from the bus station but unlike the walk to Lincoln Woods there is 1400 foot elevation gain from the bus station to the Whitehouse Bridge Lot.

I cant really recommend doing Crawford Notch to Pinkham unless you come in far better condition then most folks. You really need you A game unless you have deep pockets and elect to make reservations at the AMC huts. They offer packages, but be aware you need 3 nights in hut and will probably lay out $150 a night or more. The trade off is you carry far less gear and they take care of two meals a day for you. All the AMC huts trailheads are serviced via shuttle. Concord Coach make one trip a day from Boston to AMC Pinkham Notch, you can head southbound from there and in 4 days come out at Crawford Notch where you can catch the AMC shuttle and either got to Lincoln or back to Pinkham to catch the bus.

The best advice is be conservative on your daily mileage. If you haven't been to the whites, its a adjustment, most trails are not switchbacked and the above treeline sections as well as some below treeline sections line the Twinway are solid rock. The various campsites on the Pemi Loop are all nearby really nice places to check out the sunset (West Bond, Garfield and Liberty) plus getting in late to campsite is almost a guarantee that you will get stuck in overflow site which is generally an lumpy spot not big enough to set up a tent properly.

Time of year is mid July to late September. my choice is mid September

egilbe
04-08-2017, 16:53
And try to time it midweek when most people are working. Weekends the trails are packed and there could be 100 cars parked at the trailheads and alongside the roads.

Slo-go'en
04-08-2017, 17:17
Despite the cost, do the AMC hut to hut route. You can travel light which is big help in these parts and you don't have to worry about the restrictive camping regulations which makes a hike through the Whites need a bit more planning and luck.

Time of year is important. June is reasonably quiet but weather, bugs and trail conditions can be iffy. The season really starts after July 4th and lasts until October. Peak thru hiker season starts mid August, avoid that if you can. After Labor day, weekdays are quiet - just the thru hiker stragglers, weekends are packed with locals.

LoneStranger
04-09-2017, 07:46
I'll second PB's Pemi loop, but suggest going the other direction. If you spend the first night at Liberty Springs you will hit Franconia Ridge earlier in the day than coming from Garfield. You do miss the chance for sunrise on the Garfield summit, but gain the chance for sunset there so I consider it a fair trade. I just like to hit the ridge in the morning, fair weather or foul, and then drop into the trees in the afternoon to head up Garfield.

Definitely have a map so you know where the exits are in case weather pops up. You don't want to be on that ridge in a storm. If the wind doesn't blow you off the lightning will blow you up :)