PDA

View Full Version : If you had 9-10 days to thru TRT when would you go?

saltysack
04-08-2017, 22:14
It's looking like I'll have to put off my CT thru as not going to get the time needed. TRT is my second choice as I'm not wanting to fool with trying for a permit for Wonderland trail. Only two western hiking trips have been done in mid September and loved everything about them as no crowds, cool weather and no bugs. Any plus to doing the TRT over summer vs fall? Other than its less time from now....[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miner
04-08-2017, 22:24
I did the TRT in late June of 2014 which was a low snow year. I started a WhiteBlaze thread (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/105206-Tahoe-Rim-Trail) on it if you are interested including a summary that compares spring and fall.

If my choice was mid summer or fall, I'd pick fall immediately. At least when I hiked in spring I had wildflowers and a little snow. Once the flowers die off, I'd wait for fall. Of course this year, with all the snow in the Sierra, hiking it before sometime in July probably isn't a good idea. This year, July is the new June. In fall you get some aspen's changing color, though most of the trees are evergreens. As a general rule, I love hiking in the Sierra in fall for the very reasons you posted. If you can wait, I'd start in middle of September when you start to see the trees changing color; the 3rd week being the best.

Venchka
04-08-2017, 22:25
Later. Give the snow time to go and the streams time to recede. Not too late. The 5th of September would probably be about right.
Have fun!
Wayne

saltysack
04-08-2017, 22:34
I did the TRT in late June of 2014 which was a low snow year. I started a WhiteBlaze thread (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/105206-Tahoe-Rim-Trail) on it if you are interested including a summary that compares spring and fall.

If my choice was mid summer or fall, I'd pick fall immediately. At least when I hiked in spring I had wildflowers and a little snow. Once the flowers die off, I'd wait for fall. Of course this year, with all the snow in the Sierra, hiking it before sometime in July probably isn't a good idea. This year, July is the new June. In fall you get some aspen's changing color, though most of the trees are evergreens. As a general rule, I love hiking in the Sierra in fall for the very reasons you posted. If you can wait, I'd start in middle of September when you start to see the trees changing color; the 3rd week being the best.

Thx I actually looked at your Mags style trail guide....very informative....appreciate it and also leaning towards mid September....so far off....ugggg

Malto
04-09-2017, 06:27
I did the non PCT part in mid Sep. I would have done the PCT on that trip but a storm dumped snow on the higher elevations making my firm schedule impossible. You should at least factor that in as well.

saltysack
04-09-2017, 09:17
I did the non PCT part in mid Sep. I would have done the PCT on that trip but a storm dumped snow on the higher elevations making my firm schedule impossible. You should at least factor that in as well.

Thx probably opt for 10 days and plan on 9....sounds like mid September it is....looks like I'll stick to the east coast til then....ugggg

colorado_rob
04-09-2017, 09:28
Thx probably opt for 10 days and plan on 9....sounds like mid September it is....looks like I'll stick to the east coast til then....ugggg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot sure what you're saying about the east coast thing Salty... are you being spooked about hiking in the Sierra because of the unlikely threat of a bit of snow? Don't be! It can happen, but chances are not, and even if it does, the amounts would be extremely modest almost assuredly. September is THE time to hike in the Sierra (and Colorado, for that matter). We are planning on a SHR attempt starting around September 5, planning on three weeks, should be spectacular. Go west young man!

saltysack
04-09-2017, 11:27
Not sure what you're saying about the east coast thing Salty... are you being spooked about hiking in the Sierra because of the unlikely threat of a bit of snow? Don't be! It can happen, but chances are not, and even if it does, the amounts would be extremely modest almost assuredly. September is THE time to hike in the Sierra (and Colorado, for that matter). We are planning on a SHR attempt starting around September 5, planning on three weeks, should be spectacular. Go west young man!

No.......I meant September is along way off!!! I'll be stuck with a few east coast hikes until then....I'd prefer a little snow as it adds to the experience....I enjoy colder weather, less people and no bugs just hate having to wait several months!

Miner
04-09-2017, 13:23
I remember getting snowed on one year on a Sept. 19th in Yosemite. A good portion melted off the next day. Another year on the 24th. So snow can happen, but is rare as most Septembers are dry with only an occasional thunderstorm. When I did the Tahoe-Yosemite trail in the 3rd week of September, I got hailed on by a thunderstorm one night, but that was it for the weather. I just got a permit to do the JMT again, starting on Sept. 21st, which will have me finishing in early October. October is a little more risky for big snow, but during the early part, the odds are still strongly in my favor, though I do have an extra 2 days in my schedule.

Dogwood
04-09-2017, 13:34
Mid to late Sept after a cold spell so the Aspens are golden and tourons and MBers have dissipated.

Dogwood
04-09-2017, 13:35
The mid to late Sept snow usually burns off. Makes for a more scenic hike anyway.

Mags
04-09-2017, 13:55
If I had 10 days and 160 miles of hiking, there are more choices out there than the TRT.

It was OK. But that trail was the catalyst to realzing that doing a trail with a lettered designation is limiting.

The logitistics are easy and the TRT is pleasant in parts. Very family friendly, too. But at least half the trail felt as if I was backpacking in local open space.

160 miles in the High Sierra, the Cacades, New Mexico Rockies, the Winds, the Abaroskas, etc. etc. etc. sound more appealing.

YMMV.

Dogwood
04-09-2017, 14:24
If I had 10 days and 160 miles of hiking, there are more choices out there than the TRT.

It was OK. But that trail was the catalyst to realzing that doing a trail with a lettered designation is limiting.

The logitistics are easy and the TRT is pleasant in parts. Very family friendly, too. But at least half the trail felt as if I was backpacking in local open space.

160 miles in the High Sierra, the Cacades, New Mexico Rockies, the Winds, the Abaroskas, etc. etc. etc. sound more appealing.

YMMV.

Paul said what I was thinking. Personally, while the TRT was a great hike I fit it in while I was already in Reno for a yr exploring various hiking opps and working a horticultural project. I did it as a lollipop doing the TRT Loop first and then continuing south on the PCT to do a Yosemite NP hike off the PCT. I wouldn't personally go across the country to specifically solo thru-hike it. I would with my son and dog though making it a family outing. That may just be me. It depends where you're at in what you want on a 10-12 day hike balanced with what you want to put into organizing a hike so far from home. It's in an area not far from so many outstanding alternatives to explore and hike.

Malto
04-09-2017, 17:50

YMMV.

I would agree with this. Maybe time to start plan the GSW...... Great Sierra Walkabout. Sorry Mags, every trail or route MUST have a three letter abbreviation, it's in the hiking handbook.

saltysack
04-09-2017, 19:53
I guess the appeal is the easy logistics with SW flying into Reno but I need to look at other options...I could care less about checking one off the list. I'd love to do another trip in the high Sierra or winds as my sister lives in Idaho falls not to far away....

Malto
04-09-2017, 20:24
I guess the appeal is the easy logistics with SW flying into Reno but I need to look at other options...I could care less about checking one off the list. I'd love to do another trip in the high Sierra or winds as my sister lives in Idaho falls not to far away....

The winds are incredible. If you can logistically work it out then I believe you will be happy with that choice. I would take the winds over the TRT any day.

Venchka
04-10-2017, 10:13
OK, the dam has burst. I usually get flamed for veering off topic.
The last time we visited the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem we flew from New Orleans to Idaho Falls and rented a car. That worked very nicely. If our connecting flight in Salt lake City had a long layover, we would have rented the car in Salt Lake City.
If your sister can offer some shuttle service, the sky is the limit in the northwest corner of Wyoming.
The entire Teton Crest Trail: http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/hiking/leapfrogging-the-teton-crest/
Teton Wilderness: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/teton-wilderness-ariz-creek-to-brooks-lake-july-2016.6192/#post-73918
Wind River Range: Too many trails to list. It's all good.
Glacier N.P.: Logistically daunting. The CDT from Canada to East Glacier should fit your time frame. You'll have to slow down and smell the flowers. Go before Labor Day when the shuttles and services start closing.
Have fun!
Wayne

saltysack
04-10-2017, 10:25
So many damn choices....I change my mind like the wind....no pun intended...I guess I'm going to cover my wall with options and have my kid throw a dart blind folded! Now I'm also looking at Durango to monarch or vise versa...Through i really want to thru the CT...we will see. Logistics getting back from Salida/monarch iffy as closest rental care is in Leadville.

colorado_rob
04-10-2017, 10:47
So many damn choices....I change my mind like the wind....no pun intended...I guess I'm going to cover my wall with options and have my kid throw a dart blind folded! Now I'm also looking at Durango to monarch or vise versa...Through i really want to thru the CT...we will see. Logistics getting back from Salida/monarch iffy as closest rental care is in Leadville.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI was actually going to suggest a nice big loop in the San Juans, I'll take a look later tonight or tomorrow, you would touch the CT in places, but you could avoid most of it saving it for your CT thru.... I think I can rough out (and you refine) a 9 day trip that would knock your socks off....

John M
04-10-2017, 11:09
Interesting read. I was considering doing the TRT next year but have had a nagging feeling that there might be better 160 mile opportunities out there.

saltysack
04-10-2017, 12:18
I was actually going to suggest a nice big loop in the San Juans, I'll take a look later tonight or tomorrow, you would touch the CT in places, but you could avoid most of it saving it for your CT thru.... I think I can rough out (and you refine) a 9 day trip that would knock your socks off....

Thx CR! I'm still going back and forth on my summer schedule as it's looking like I'll be driving my son and his two buds to a summer skateboarding camp @ Woodward, Pa...since it's a 13.5 hour drive I'm thinking I'll hike for a week up in NE somewhere before picking them up to head home....lots of choices but have always wanted to see Vermont so will likely do this early July then hopefully head out west in mid September....a loop in the SJ sounds great! I'll be in touch...

Miner
04-10-2017, 19:30
Well, I liked the TRT better than some trails such as the long trail; though doing it in peak leaf season might change my mind on that. In that other thread I linked at the beginning of this thread, I did post a link to 400 photos of my late spring hike. Look at the scenery for yourself and decide.

Mags
04-10-2017, 20:46
[QUOTE=Miner;2142562] Well, I liked the TRT better than some trails such as the long trail; [QUOTE]

That's what I am saying. Get away from the letter designation. Just pick a 160 mile stretch or 10 days. Plenty of choices there outside the TRT that are going to be much more interesting esp in the fall!

OTOH, friends of mine from here did it as a family and they loved it. If I was local, (say 5 hrs or less driving), I think I'd have appreciated it more too vs buying a plane ticket, a shuttle, etc. (I realize you are further away. 5 hrs is just my personal gut feel

I did the 60 mile Ring The Peak Trail around Pike's Peak twice now. I quite enjoyed it over a three day weekend with such a short drive. If I had flown in from Los Angeles, I know I would have felt have felt differently.

Miner
04-10-2017, 22:23
Mags, while I agree with you, I also don't. Most of my backpacking is just picking a route on a map and going for it. In places like the Sierra Nevada, its easy to randomly pick a 100-200 mile route off some of the maps and the odds are the scenery will be good. Though in more recent years, with a lack of trail maintenance, it can lead to some navigational challenges you didn't expect. And some letter trails have gotten way too popular like the JMT. Particularly with the JMT, part of the problem is the same people keep coming back every year or two to rehike it again and again and I wonder why? Sure its one of the top trails in terms of scenery, but don't people want to see something new or different? There is too much beauty out there to keep going to the same places all the time. So I do get it.

But just picking a route off a map isn't so easy for areas one is not familiar with, particularly if they are coming from the other side of the nation. The advantage of a Letter hike is it is partially a known entity. The logistics have long been figured out, as has the transportation. You know what you are getting in to. They can also be a great introduction into a new area. When I did the PCT years ago, I was introduced to places I had never been before and I made a list of areas I wanted to come back and explore more. I've done so in some areas, less so up north due to the travel time. I'm returning to the JMT this year since its been almost a decade since I did any significant part of it, and after last years hike of the Condor Trail in coastal California (that was a great introduction to an area I hadn't hiked in before) that only 1 person had succeeded hiking prior to when I started, and all the research necessary, health issues, and navigational challenges I had, this year I just want something with excellent scenery that is straight forward and easy where I don't need to think about anything since I already know all the details necessary to hike it. Sometimes you just don't want to plan anything. And since I'm starting so late in the season, almost all the negatives are gone, except the worry of early snow.

What is great about the TRT is the logistics are so simple. You can't get much easier then it. Especially for the scenery you do get for the minimal effort. Sure it isn't as scenic as the High Sierra further south or parts of Rockies or the Winds, but it is still better then a lot of whats out there. If I had to pick the biggest negative of that trail, it's that bicycles allowed on some sections of the trail. At least going in the later part of September, the numbers will be lower.

Venchka
04-11-2017, 11:08
Join the Cool Kids. You don't need a trail.
http://metalbackpacker.com/wind-river-range-traverse-wy-solo-hike/
http://www.adventurealan.com/wind-river-high-route-guide/

lonehiker
04-11-2017, 11:40
The TRT is a nice hike. Resupply is easy and you get to see some nice terrain. Don't do what someone else thinks you may enjoy, make your own decisions...

colorado_rob
04-11-2017, 12:10
The TRT is a nice hike. Resupply is easy and you get to see some nice terrain. Don't do what someone else thinks you may enjoy, make your own decisions... I kinda thought the whole purpose of these forums (fora?) were precisely to get others folks opinions????? Seems to go without saying we will all ultimately make our own actual decisions.

Anyway, no first hand knowledge, but lots of second hand knowledge about the TRT is all "meh", and this thread confirms that. Nevertheless, we'll probably do it some day...

Anyway, making some progress on that San Juan loop, I'm excited about it, we'll probably give a good part of it a go in late July/early August. Just a start shown, we'd use the Rio Grand reservoir trailhead at the far east, about 110 miles of trail shown so far, need top connect it all up on the west side. The "W00TH", "X00TH", etc points are all section start/end points along the CT, for reference. So far, only about 5 miles common with the CT, a bunch of the CDT. Like the sierra, so many options, especially down in those San Juan's. Tons and tons of peaks to climb along the way too.