PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Salida 2 Tent: Experience, pros, cons?

johnspenn
04-09-2017, 08:06
Doing a little research for a friend. I hammock, so this tent stuff is greek to me.

Specs:
CAPACITY
Min Wt
3 lbs. 14 oz.
Pkg Wt
4 lbs. 9 oz.
Dimensions
7'4" x 4'7" (head) x 3'9" (foot)
Area (Sq. Ft.)
30 + 10 (vest)
Int Height
3'7"
Pack Size
3.75" x 13" x 15"
Pole Size
9mm
Pole Material
DAC Pressfit Aluminum
No. of Doors
Hooded Fly
No
No. of Windows
Gear Loft
Optional
Floor Material
68D Polyester Taffeta w/ 1800mm coating
Fly Material
68D Polyester Taffeta w/ 1800mm coating
Wall Material
68D Breathable Polyester Taffeta + 40D Polyester No-see-um Mesh
Roof Material
68D Breathable Polyester Taffeta + 40D Polyester No-see-um Mesh
Netting
40D Polyester No-see-um Mesh
Style
Dome
Activities
Backpacking, Scouting, Canoeing
Use
3 Season
Special Features
DAC Pressfit Poles, Freestanding

Expected use- mostly one person, overnights to week long trips, along the AT (section hiking) and in N GA

If anyone knows of a better tent with similar specs for around the same price, let me know. Price is definitely a factor. Thanks!

egilbe
04-09-2017, 08:31
Just a suggestion, but maybe try raising the budget to $200. There are a few more lighter weight options at that point. A 5 pound 3 season tent these days is not a backpacking tent. In my opinion, if price is the over-riding concern, a blue poly tarp would be a preferable shelter. If, at some point, they get tired of carrying a 5 pound tent, they are going to have to spend more money anyway.

MuddyWaters
04-09-2017, 08:35
Fine tents, and only $100
Too heavy to me for solo, but to each their

Good for two people to split weight.

Mt son and I have dozens of nights in the end entry grand mesa. He used it in scouts where required to sleep 2 scouts to a tent. A world better than 2 people in tarptent in a rainstorm.

Not a backpacking tent? Hogwash.
I could carry the tent and still be under 10 lb base wt
It depends on what else you carry......
For some, a tent is their luxury item
For others its an i-thing and 10oz backup battery,camp shoes, jetboil, etc

Many people today spend $$$ on ul gear, just to be able to bring a bunch of crap they dont need. Zpacks tents, packs, and 15 lb basewt fools.

Yes, fools.

colorado_rob
04-09-2017, 09:00
Just a suggestion, but maybe try raising the budget to $200. There are a few more lighter weight options at that point. A 5 pound 3 season tent these days is not a backpacking tent. In my opinion, if price is the over-riding concern, a blue poly tarp would be a preferable shelter. If, at some point, they get tired of carrying a 5 pound tent, they are going to have to spend more money anyway.Agree, lots of tents in the sub-3 lb range for around 200 beans, check out the REI quarter dome, the older model on sale now for $169 (you have to join REI if you haven't already), a good solid tent with a good reputation and excellent return policy if unhappy:

https://www.rei.com/product/862421/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-1-tent

Or get the newer model and use the 20% off coupon, only good through tomorrow though, so just over $200:

https://www.rei.com/product/110817/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-1-tent

I agree that Kelty is pretty darn heavy for a tent these days.

HooKooDooKu
04-09-2017, 21:46
Size wise, the Kelty Salida 2 is the same size as a Big Agnes Copper Spur, except that it has only one door and one vestibule. I find it to be an excellent side for a one man tent, or perhaps a good tent for two kids.

Kelty is a good name brand, and the quality of the tent should be very good for many years if service.

But one of the reasons Kelty Tents last so long is because they are made of heavy weight fabric (relative too something like the light weight Copper Spur). The thickness means you won't worry too much about puncturing the floor because you find yourself setting up on rocks or on top of a bunch of sticks and such. That's the one thing I don't like about my light weight Copper Spur... it was very expensive and the material is very thin. I'm always worried about puncturing the floor. I always found it much quicker to set up my Kelty tent when hiking with kids.

But as pointed out by others, it is a heavy tent compared to other 2 man tents of similar size.

But for the low cost and durability, I think it is an excellent tent for the right situation.

AddThat
04-16-2017, 17:21
I have a kelty salida 2. I do long distance section hikes with it all the time. I leave behind the stuff sack and a few stakes when I go. The tent is extremely durable, comfortable, dry, love love the tent. Sure it could be a lb lighter but this tent does NOT need a footprint and you will NOT get wet in torrential downpours. Idk man. It's a super great tent. I'll be taking it on my thru hike attempt next year, it's already got several hundred miles under its belt and many more. ✌️

Patriot76
04-16-2017, 19:54
I cannot speak to the specific model you have identified, but I have used a Kelty Timberline tent for over 40 years while backpacking. It is considered a 3 season tent but has held up to 10 in. of light snow and 4 in. of wet snow. It weighs 5 + pds. When going lightweight I will use the rain fly with a piece of plastic for a ground cloth and my hiking poles with guidelines for support. The secret to the longevity of this tent is taking care of it. I will waterproof the fly for the first time this year because of a long term hike.

In my opinion invest in the best products you can, it may last you the rest of your lifetime. Knowledge of the wilderness will allow you to modify your gear to your needs. To answer your question, hiking in the south I would invest my money in a tarp tent, bug net, good sleeping bag and ground pad. I also hammock and use the rain fly from this tent as well as the additional equipment mentioned. I have a Kelty tent, sleeping bag and backpack from the 1970's that are still used today and never regretted the investment.