PDA

View Full Version : Davenport gap to newfound gap question

Treedo
04-09-2017, 15:36
I will be in the area with limited time in mid July with family and would like to do a small bit of the AT. Curious if Davenport gap to newfound gap would be doable as a 3 day 2 night trip. It would be me and my 13 y/o old boy. Both of us are fit but don't want to try and push 20 miles in a day yet. We are both pretty new to hiking. And suggestions welcomed! The wife would be dropping us off at starting point and picking us up at exit.

Treedo

soumodeler
04-09-2017, 16:18
Not hard at all. I would suggest NOBO, as the climb out of Newfound is easy. Doable in 1 night if you wanted to, 2 makes it an easy hike.

MuddyWaters
04-09-2017, 16:39
Easily
But like said above, much easier to go NFG to davenport. Why climb uphill for 15 miles when you can go down?

Day one, 11 miles to pecks corner shelter
Day 2 , 13 miles to cosby knob shelter
Day 3, 8 miles to davenport gap

error
04-09-2017, 16:47
The climb south out of Davenport Gap goes on and on and on and on and on.... It's climbing for the majority of the first 13 miles! If you aren't experienced hikers this might just ruin your first day...and your second day! Might I suggest going north instead? The climb out of Newfound Gap is much shorter, and northbound there aren't any really extended climbs in this section. The rest of the hike looks fairly reasonable.

Also remember that it's the Smokies so you have to have shelter reservations, and that means knowing where you'll be staying each night and being able to do enough miles to get to it. You could have longer days than you expected. In either direction your shelter choices are limited. You can use Pecks Corner shelter and Cosby Knob shelter, giving you daily mileage of (northbound) 10.7 miles, 12.9 miles and 8 miles. Or, you can use Icewater Spring shelter and Tri-Corner Knob Shelter, for daily mileages of 3 miles (I'm not kidding! it's mostly climbing), 12.1 miles and 15.7 miles (mostly descending!). If you're in decent shape and haven't overpacked, neither of these should be a real problem; the real problem is having to decide in advance.

Treedo
04-09-2017, 17:48
Thanks for the quick replies! So NOBO it is. How is that section in July?
So another newbie question. Since we will be staying in shelters is there any reason to bring a tent? or still carry in case of emergency?
I checked out the getting permit website and was wondering what do people do if the shelter is at maximum? I would imagine they could fill up quickly certain times of year and you can only reserve them a month out.

Treedo

Bmelee
04-09-2017, 18:08
Only thru hikers can tent or hammock at a shelter in the Smokies. If you cannot get a reservation at a shelter, then you are not allowed to stay there. We locals have to deal with this all the time of the AT in the park! There should not be much of an issue in July. We did almost the same route last July (we left the AT at Snake Den Ridge) and had no issues getting reservations and no shelter was full.

illabelle
04-09-2017, 18:09
July may be a big muggy - it's the South after all - but high up in the Smokies is the coolest place around here to be.

Always a chance of crowds, but July is not peak season for thru-hikers. Mostly you'll see section hikers and weekenders - people like yourself, and like me.

Always safest to bring a lightweight tent. Chances are slim that you'll need it. But if you NEED it, and don't have it, whatcha gonna do?

If you can't get AT reservations where/when you want them, you might consider a non-AT hike. Last year we did a loop from Big Creek to Laurel Gap and back using Baxter Creek Trail, Mt Sterling Trail, Gunter Fork Trail, and Big Creek Trail. It was fun, and uncrowded.

soumodeler
04-09-2017, 18:09
Section hikers such as yourself will have the only reservations. If you get a reservation, you have a spot in the shelter. You can make a thru hiker move out, although personally I would be happy to let them have the rat box and stay in my tent. However, in July, there will not be many thru hikers (or any) so all spots will be by reservation. If you can't make a reservation, the shelter is full and you must make other plans.

I would carry a tent or at minimum a bivy/tarp just in case.

July will be warm, but not unbearably so (in my book anyways)

JC13
04-09-2017, 20:34
Might see you out there depending on when in July you are going.

MuddyWaters
04-09-2017, 20:38
Thanks for the quick replies! So NOBO it is. How is that section in July?

It is hot.
It is hot everywhere south of New England in July
But at the 5000 ft elevation in the park, the first 2 days, it will be comfortable enough
You will feel the heat when you descend to davenport gap.
It is also crowded when kids are out of school, although thats relative. Only about 12 persons per night at each shelter.

Treedo
04-09-2017, 21:13
Might see you out there depending on when in July you are going.

Planning on 7/13,14,15

JC13
04-10-2017, 08:44
Planning on 7/13,14,15Looks like we will just miss each other! If we make our scheduled mileage, Newfound to Pecks on the 10th, Cosby on the 11th and out of the park and to Painter Branch or Groundhog Creek on the 12th.

Tennessee Viking
04-10-2017, 08:58
It will be warm humid and chances of thunderstorms will be higher.

Seatbelt
04-10-2017, 09:22
I hiked this in the summer 2 years ago straight from the couch you might say and I made it to Tri-Corner Shelter before dark on the first day and to Standing Bear the second night. And I am NOT a fast hiker. You should have no problems, unless downhills bother you.

HooKooDooKu
04-10-2017, 11:26
I hiked this in the summer 2 years ago straight from the couch you might say and I made it to Tri-Corner Shelter before dark on the first day and to Standing Bear the second night. And I am NOT a fast hiker. You should have no problems, unless downhills bother you.
Remember, we're dealing with a new-comer to hiking and hiking WITH a 13yo.

New Found Gap to Tricorner is a 17 mile hike with (eye-balling the elevation profile) around 3,000' of cumulative elevation gain. WAY TOO MUCH to expect out of a new comer or a 13yo.

My typical hiking trip is two nights doing loops in GSMNP, each day being around 10-13 miles... and I found the hike from New Found Gap just to Pecks Corner to be a pretty serious workout (very doable, but still a workout). And that's without kids. With kids (who are experienced GSMNP hikers since age 7) I usually limit the distances to 10 miles.

So to the OP, speaking as an experienced hiker in GSMNP that has hikes with kids from ages 7 to 13... I would say that New Found Gap to Davenport Gap in two nights is doable, but it's going to be very tough. Day one would be New Found Gap to Pecks Corner, day two on to Cosby Knob, and day three to Davenport Gap. Each day will be around 12 miles and include over 1,000' of cumulative UP hill (even though the net is a 3,000' drop).

Here's what I'm going to suggest for you... something I think you both will enjoy without being over taxed that provides a couple of options AND includes a part of the AT.
Day 1: Gregory Ridge Trail to Gregory Bald Trail to Campsite #13.
This is my favorite campsite in the entire park. To get there, you drive around Cades Cove Loop Road. Near the Visitor's Center is the Forge Creek Road... a dirt road that will take you to the Gregory Ridge Trail Head.
Day 2: Back track towards Gregory Ridge trail, but stay on the ridge. Two miles past Gregory Ridge Trail intersection, you'll be at Doe Knob and on the AT (actually you will have been walking what WAS the AT before it was rerouted many decades ago). After 9 miles of ups and downs on the Ridge, you'll reach Russel Field Shelter for your 2nd night.
Day 3: Continue along the AT until you reach Rocky Top in about 4+ miles. Then double back and take a lunch break at Spence Field shelter. After lunch, hike down Bote Mtn Trail and Lead Cove Trail to have your wife pick you up along Laural Creek Road (on the way to Cades Cove).

This trip offers the views from Gregory Bald, staying at the Gregory Bald campsite (about 1/4 mile past the Bald), hiking some of the AT and staying in an AT shelter, views from Thunder Head Mountain, but lots of options to leave early if things seem too tough.

ken209
04-10-2017, 13:33
If you can get reservations do Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap, I'm 75 and the worst part for me was coming out of Pecks the next morning.

Treedo
04-12-2017, 18:03
Thanks for all the replies. You have given me much to ponder. I will keep everyone updated with decisions!

Treedo

MuddyWaters
04-13-2017, 22:15
Be aware, bear closures can happen without warning,. In which case the park backcountry office will reroute your itinerary for you. Sometimes significantly off the AT to campsites on sidetrails, introducing extra miles and vertical to get back on AT. Stay on top of park closures page as date approaches to avoid surprises.

Treedo
07-04-2017, 11:21
So.....it is almost time. It's official we are doing this. We are leaving NFG on 7/13 and heading to Pecks corner. 7/14 we head to Cosby knob and then 7/15 finish up around Davenport gap! Reservations at shelters have been made and I believe we have everything we need (and then some). The only detail we have not worked out is where my wife should pick us up? Is there a parking area for Davenport gap or should we just plan to meet on highway 40?
i know this is small stuff but it's a first for my son and I and I am very excited for our little adventure!!!!

TNhiker
07-04-2017, 11:29
There is a small parking pull off at Davenport gap---however if your wife wants to get out and hike to meet you---I would not leave car unattended there.....

a better spot would be to have her park at the big creek rangers station and then hike up to meet you and take chestnut branch back down....

or you can just continue to 40...

HooKooDooKu
07-04-2017, 11:35
There is a small pulloff... space for about 3 to 6 cars at Davenport Gap right at the National Park boarder.
If you are not hung-up on sticking to the AT, another option is the Big Creek ranger station. There's lots of parking there. To get there, simply take Chestnut Branch Trail about two miles shy of Davenport Gap. The parking lot is within 100 yards (perhaps 100') of the trail head.

Traffic Jam
07-04-2017, 11:40
If your wife has extra time, this is a really nice hike.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/mouse.htm

Treedo
07-04-2017, 13:32
My wife has no intention of hiking or exploring. She hates the idea of having to pick us up without knowing exact times and locations. She is already mad at me for taking her boy into the vast wilderness filled with bears! I like the idea of the ranger station. Is the Chestnut branch trail clearly marked from the AT?

Venchka
07-04-2017, 14:50
The other fact in this plan is that Interstate 40 is a controlled access 70++ mph tunnel filled with Big Rigs bumper to bumper and mirror to mirror. You won't be meeting your wife at Hwy. 40.
Have a great hike.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traffic Jam
07-04-2017, 15:19
My wife has no intention of hiking or exploring. She hates the idea of having to pick us up without knowing exact times and locations. She is already mad at me for taking her boy into the vast wilderness filled with bears! I like the idea of the ranger station. Is the Chestnut branch trail clearly marked from the AT?
Sorry about that. Having to be in a specific location at an exact time puts a lot of pressure on a hiker and can cause a stressful trip. So give yourself plenty of time.

Have a great trip with your son.

TNhiker
07-04-2017, 15:23

Yeah......you'll see the trail intersection easily.....

also---you may (I haven't been up there in years nor tried for a signal) have cell phone signal at mount cammerer which could help with pickup time...

TNhiker
07-04-2017, 15:26
The other fact in this plan is that Interstate 40 is a controlled access 70++ mph tunnel filled with Big Rigs bumper to bumper and mirror to mirror. You won't be meeting your wife at Hwy. 40.
Have a great hike.
Wayne

Traffic is not really bumper to bumper in that section unless there's an accident or roadwork..

and there's an exit right there where the AT crosses under the road....

so, while not on 40 proper, one can get picked up within yards of it...

soumodeler
07-04-2017, 15:32
Traffic is not really bumper to bumper in that section unless there's an accident or roadwork..

and there's an exit right there where the AT crosses under the road....

so, while not on 40 proper, one can get picked up within yards of it...
Agreed. Super easy to get picked up or dropped off on the exit ramp, literally right on the trail.

Venchka
07-04-2017, 15:36
I've been through there a half dozen times. Between the construction delays and 5+ mile long stream of trucks, it's not my favorite stretch of highway.
What is the AT exit called? I've looked for it but didn't see anything that mentioned the AT.
The Tennessee & North Carolina welcome stations are first class.
Wayne

TNhiker
07-04-2017, 15:42
A simple look at the map will show it being exit 451 or the Waterville exit...

it also has a sign for the big creek area of the Park...

i travel that stretch maybe 20 or 30 times a year and can count on on hand how many times I've been delayed on it over the years on one hand........

HooKooDooKu
07-04-2017, 15:47
Is the Chestnut branch trail clearly marked from the AT?
Yes
GSMNP seems to have the attitude that it is cheaper to put up signs to keep people from getting lost than it is to pay for search and rescue.
The only map you need to hike GSMNP is the back country trail map (https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JUNE14-complete4-2.pdf).
While a basic trail map can be picked up from numerous locations for $1, for a few bucks more, you can now get a water-proof version (http://www.smokiesinformation.org/shop/waterproof-backcountry-map-3081).

Venchka
07-04-2017, 15:54
You're lucky.
Silly me. I would have thought someone would think of mentioning the trail.
Wayne