PDA

View Full Version : Best Navigation App for the CT

TyCx
04-11-2017, 11:57
I plan to use my phone for navigation on the CT and was looking for some recommendations on apps. Do you guys use the Colorado Trail Hiker App or something different?

saltysack
04-11-2017, 12:01
Used Guthooks on collegiate loop and jmt.......works great! Well worth the $$$.....advice buy the entire CT not just the loop.....I had to buy twice.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jswharton
04-11-2017, 19:35
I use the Gaia app. I downloaded the CDT waypoints from http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com then imported the loop only waypoints into Caltopo. I loaded a shared trail map that was on Caltopo. I purchased the CT Foundation map book and data book. Once done with any side trips etc in Caltopo I'll import into Gaia.

bearcreek
04-12-2017, 11:20
One really nice feature in Guthooks is the water report. When hikers report on a water source via the app, hikers coming along later are informed about it.

jswharton
04-13-2017, 13:45
I downloaded the app that has section 1 as a preview, it's nice. Think I'll try it out on my loop hike in June!

Namtrag
04-15-2017, 23:37
Downloaded it for our section hike this summer, and it looks great, but the one thing I downloaded it for, the campsite locations, are not on this app. :(

saltysack
04-15-2017, 23:41
Downloaded it for our section hike this summer, and it looks great, but the one thing I downloaded it for, the campsite locations, are not on this app. :(

Lots of camp spots listed with water or from others remarks...

Namtrag
04-15-2017, 23:45
Cool, thanks! I just got the app, and noticed no tent icons. I will look more closely at the other info as you suggest!

bearcreek
04-16-2017, 11:19
Finding campsites along the CT is easy. The trail is almost entirely on public lands where camping is allowed. Compared to many other long trails, water is relatively abundant. At the same time, infrastructures such as huts, trash cans, and toilets are almost nonexistent. In such a scenario, dispersed camping is greatly preferable from an environmental perspective.

The listing of campsites concentrates users in specific locations, and causes a lot of localized environmental damage where those hardened campsites exist. Those locations are also where negative interactions with wildlife most commonly occur. With strong encouragement from the US Forest Service, managers of the CT have chosen to provide as robust a water report as possible, but not provide detailed campsite advice, to encourage dispersed camping and in hopes of keeping environmental issues to a minimum. This philosophy has been strongly supported by the US Forest Service in regards to the CDT as well. If you look at maps of the CDT you will notice that the only places where campsites are listed are named campsites with pit toilets, food storage devices, and other infrastructure.

saltysack
04-16-2017, 15:02
Finding campsites along the CT is easy. The trail is almost entirely on public lands where camping is allowed. Compared to many other long trails, water is relatively abundant. At the same time, infrastructures such as huts, trash cans, and toilets are almost nonexistent. In such a scenario, dispersed camping is greatly preferable from an environmental perspective.

The listing of campsites concentrates users in specific locations, and causes a lot of localized environmental damage where those hardened campsites exist. Those locations are also where negative interactions with wildlife most commonly occur. With strong encouragement from the US Forest Service, managers of the CT have chosen to provide as robust a water report as possible, but not provide detailed campsite advice, to encourage dispersed camping and in hopes of keeping environmental issues to a minimum. This philosophy has been strongly supported by the US Forest Service in regards to the CDT as well. If you look at maps of the CDT you will notice that the only places where campsites are listed are named campsites with pit toilets, food storage devices, and other infrastructure.

Interesting....i didn't realize this....