PDA

View Full Version : bleach bottle

AllDownhillFromHere
04-11-2017, 15:44
Anyone know of a source for a good, trustworthy bottle to carry bleach? I'm looking for something like a Visine bottle, something that holds a few oz but with a fine nozzle/dispenser. REI just has the little 'tiny Nalgene' style bottles, are there any makeup products whose packaging might work?

TTT
04-11-2017, 15:51
If you carry bleach you need a really good container. I bought some a few days ago and the lid came off in the car. Luckily it only ruined my pants

ranger2012
04-11-2017, 15:52
Ironically, or maybe not, I use an old Aquamira bottle.

The Kisco Kid
04-11-2017, 16:18
I use a small visine bottle. Works fine, IF you don't store bleach in it. I fill it up before every trip.

atraildreamer
04-11-2017, 16:20
Any nasal spray bottle can be used. When the bottle is empty, pull off the round dispenser end of the bottle. Remove the attached tube and clean out the bottle. Fill the bottle and push the dispenser end back onto the bottle. Put the screw cap on and tighten it. It will snap the dispenser end securely back into the bottle.

Since these products are never sold full, you can usually get about 50% more liquid capacity into them than is listed on the label.

I have used these bottles for bleach, dish soap and hand cream with never a leak! Be sure to label the bottle.

AllDownhillFromHere
04-11-2017, 16:24
Brilliant, thanks! I never realized those bottles came apart. Off to the medicine cabinet!

Any nasal spray bottle can be used. When the bottle is empty, pull off the round dispenser end of the bottle. Remove the attached tube and clean out the bottle. Fill the bottle and push the dispenser end back onto the bottle. Put the screw cap on and tighten it. It will snap the dispenser end securely back into the bottle.

Since these products are never sold full, you can usually get about 50% more liquid capacity into them than is listed on the label.

I have used these bottles for bleach, dish soap and hand cream with never a leak! Be sure to label the bottle.

lilbear
04-11-2017, 16:32
If you use any of the meal delivery services (blue apron, home chef, etc), I've found that the little bottles they send condiments/liquid ingredients in are fantastic for carrying bleach, soap, etc.

atraildreamer
04-11-2017, 17:02
Brilliant, thanks! I never realized those bottles came apart. Off to the medicine cabinet!

This only works with the squeeze-spray bottles. The pump-spray bottles are permanently bonded together. Just pry out the dispenser top with a knife blade and pull it apart.

swjohnsey
04-11-2017, 20:08
The food coloring bottles that come in a four pack also work. The little spray nozzle comes off.

dcdennis
04-20-2017, 07:25
what are people using bleach for on the trail?

Another Kevin
04-20-2017, 07:31
what are people using bleach for on the trail?

I think they're using it for water treatment. I wouldn't, myself. Giardia and Cryptosporidium won't be killed by an amount of bleach that would sicken you, and I hike a fair amount in beaver country.

Rmcpeak
04-20-2017, 08:01
If you were to use for water treatment, how many drops per liter?

Cheyou
04-20-2017, 08:09
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-b_make_water_safe_flyer_508.pdf

Thom

Rmcpeak
04-20-2017, 08:52
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-b_make_water_safe_flyer_508.pdf

Thom

Thank you.

swjohnsey
04-20-2017, 09:00
I actually tested bleach for treating water. Using 2 drops per liter/quart didn't give me any residual chlorine. I would use at least three drops/liter. A little more won't hurt you.

RangerZ
04-20-2017, 15:51
[QUOTE=dcdennis;2144599]what are people using bleach for on the trail?[/QUOTE

Whiten their teeth

AllDownhillFromHere
04-20-2017, 16:31
I actually tested bleach for treating water. Using 2 drops per liter/quart didn't give me any residual chlorine. I would use at least three drops/liter. A little more won't hurt you.

Right - some city water reeks of chlorine, and while it might not be the best for you, at least the government says its ok, and people aren't dropping dead from chlorine poisoning. Probably won't kill you. My rule of thumb is to add just enough bleach so that you can kind of smell it. Also, wait a little to let it rip the little monsters apart. It's basically the same as iodine, but since its a much more reactive halogen, you need less of it.

fiddlehead
04-20-2017, 20:28
I use one drop per litre IF I think it is not too contaminated (small stream, up high on the mountain, etc.)
2 drops per litre if I suspect it of being worse. (larger stream where people might live above, or campground above, etc.)

Wait period is determined by how cold the water is.
The colder the water, the longer you should wait.

15 minutes for water that is not too cold.
20 minutes or longer for ice cold water.

Good luck.
and Have Fun!

AllDownhillFromHere
04-20-2017, 23:18
Good point about the cold, when its really cold I've been known to heat water on the stove to get the new water up to body temperature. In really cold water bacteria form hard little cysts which can really take a pounding (think outer space). Warm them up, they wake up, take a nice drink of chlorine, and die.

atraildreamer
04-24-2017, 10:25
Good point about the cold, when its really cold I've been known to heat water on the stove to get the new water up to body temperature. In really cold water bacteria form hard little cysts which can really take a pounding (think outer space). Warm them up, they wake up, take a nice drink of chlorine, and die.

One of the Apollo moon landings was near a Surveyor spacecraft that had soft-landed 18 months earlier. The astronauts drove their lunar buggy over to the Surveyor, removed some items from it for analysis back on Earth. Scientists found bacteria that had survived temperature ranges of -200F to + 250F for a year and a half!39152