PDA

View Full Version : Water in New Jersey in August

LucyInColor
04-12-2017, 12:21
I'm planning a section hike across NJ in August & wonder what you know about the reliability of NJ water then? Our goal is to start at the Delaware Water Gap & walk to NY over 6 days, so about 12 miles a day. Do you think we will have reliable water sources at least once every 12 miles? Should I plan on multi days without a fresh source of water, and if so where along the trail is it likely to be driest? I'm putting my gear list together & am trying to figure out how many containers to carry, and how much I should plan on them weighing when full. Thanks for your opinions!

sfdoc
04-12-2017, 12:44
I, too, am planning, along with some others, a mid August hike from Greenwood lake to the Mohican AMC center 10 miles north of the DWG. Water weighs about 2lbs/qt. Water accesability is good between Greenwood Lake and High Point. Water can be acquired at Culver's Gap, Mohican Outdoor Center, Sunfish Pond, Crater Lake. The National Geographic "Appalachian Trail: DWG to Schaghticoke Topical Guide Map" provides lots of info. Up on Kittatinny Ridge, water may be a problem, but prep in advance so you can get to Rt 206 where water is available. Mountain streams may be running a little dry in Aug. Depending on how you handle the heat, and just what temps will be, 2ltr. is probably enough. Good luck. Maybe I'll see you out there.

LucyInColor
04-12-2017, 12:48
Thank you! You sound like a wealth of information. I will buy the National Geographic map you mentioned. :sun

ChrisMek
04-12-2017, 14:14
I hiked from Greenwood Lake to DWG in September. Everything sfdoc said is all correct. In Addition, a lot of the road crossings you come to will have jugs of water. I just always topped off my water every time the opportunity presented itself. At Mashipacong shelter, there is a trail angel that puts water in the bear box.

sfdoc
04-12-2017, 16:59
Thanks for that info, ChrisMex. I'll share that with the others in my group.

LucyInColor
04-12-2017, 21:49
Thanks for this info, ChrisMek!