PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Questions

AmericanRobin
04-12-2017, 18:52
Hey all,

I have a whole mess of questions that I can't seem to find a consistent answer on. I suspect because the answer is "it's up to you" but I figured it's better to ask. I am planning a SOBO for 2018 (mid June departure) with my sister. I have a lot of gear already and I plan on doing several substantial shakedowns before I go. Here are a few questions I have for people who have gone SOBO:

I have read so many conflicting things about sleeping bags. I have a 10 degree bag that I plan on using for the colder half of the trek, but some surveys seem to indicate that most soboers carry a single 20 degree bag the whole way. Is that accurate? If I get a new bag, what temperature will be comfortable from June-September, before I should probably switch to my 10 degree?

What kind of training did you do? How in shape were you, and how far did you get?

What did you bring to keep yourself entertained? I want to bring a pair of binoculars, since I enjoy birding. I'm not sure that will be enough to keep me occupied though...

How much food did you bring for the 100 mile wilderness/how long did you take to complete it? I have heard mixed reports of 8-12 days, but that's an 8 pound food difference, so I was hoping for more solid numbers.

How bad of an idea is it to wear contacts on the trail? I have monthlies that I sleep in (the marvels of modernity!), so it's not like I'll be hauling a crate of dailies.

Now here's the big question that has been gnawing at me for the last few days. What did you eat? I HATE those hiker meals. I've been hiking before and I've never been able to stomach those things that you add boiling water to, not to mention the price. My sister and I, ideally, plan on restocking at grocery stores. I wanted to bring things like dried beans, rice, peanut butter, some spices, etc. Anything but instant garbage. I know the cooking times are long for this stuff, among other things, so I'm open to suggestions. Is it feasible to make it to Springer this way?

I appreciate any input you guys can give me. I'm not committed to anything in particular yet, except that I AM going and it has to be SOBO 2018, so I am open to any suggestions.

pandabacon
04-12-2017, 19:27
I plan on using 20 degree sleeping bag whole way but also plan on having a liner that will increase its rating by 10 degrees on standby. As for food yeah its totally possibly . I would look up high calorie grains,veggies,protein etc try and diversify it so you dont get sick of eating rice/ oatmeal etc.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

rdljr
04-12-2017, 20:17
Out of shape me did the 100 mile wilderness in 8 nights without pushing. YMMW I am sure that I could have cut a night off with just a little push. As for the bag, you could very well see a night or two or 7 in the teens so unless you sleep very warm I would start with the 10.

egilbe
04-12-2017, 20:33
It took us nine 9ays to hike the HMW, but we started at Daicey Pond. Some days we were done hiking by 2pm. It was a very sedate pace. We used a 20* quilt for a September hike, but we use that quilt all Summer, too.

I ate tuna packets, knorr sides, instant mashed potatoes, crackers, cheese, cookies, candy, pro bars,
Oatmeal and grain mixture, tree nuts, spam packets. I carried about 20 pounds of food

rafe
04-12-2017, 21:22
In response to "how long will the 100mw take." It's 100 miles from Abol Bridge to ME Rte. 15, the road to Monson. You may have a better feel for your pace by the time you start next year.

100 miles per week is a typical thru hiking pace, but not necessarily the pace you'll do on the first week. NOBO thru hikers can fly through the 100mw in 5 or 6 days, but they're wicked fit and motivated.

It can be done in a week if you're moderately fit and nothing goes wrong. If you're unsure, give yourself more time.

They say ~2 lbs. of food per day, but chances are you won't feel the hunger on the first couple days. That's another part of the puzzle you'll figure out between now and your start date -- learning what kind, and how much food to carry.

At some risk to the wilderness experience, there are services that can help with resupply. I'll say no more. Look it up if you're interested.

lumberjaime
04-12-2017, 22:13
For reference, I thru hiked SOBO in 2013. June 1st - October 19th.

It took me 8 days from mile 0 to Monson. I hiked that stretch faster than most of the other SOBOs I met, mostly because I hiked 22mi on my 22nd birthday! I think I ended up in Monson with an extra pound or so of food, which in my book was worth the peace of mind.

I had a 15* down sleeping bag from the start until I reached the NH/VT border. There I switched to a 45* synthetic bag and a +15* liner. Split my time between my hammock and shelters. I was only cold one night in Maine, when I was in the hammock at the bottom of a deep notch. Once I switched to the warmer weather sleep system, I was comfortable (if not too warm) every night except at the Roan High Knob Shelter (highest shelter on AT). If I hiked again I would not change this setup, but YMMV.

I trained poorly leading up to my hike, but I was generally fit and had many years of backpacking experience in New England. The HMW itself is pretty forgiving trail as long as you are careful to avoid kicking roots. But, your pack will be heavy and your feet will likely be quite wet. Being prepared mentally for this challenging section is just as important as physical preparation. And, remember: The rivers will likely be running fast and high at that time of year, and freezing cold to boot.

Which brings me to the contacts. I don't use lenses myself, but my friend received his trail name "Squints" after his glasses slid off his face in the middle of a stream on his second day. +1 for contacts!

Food is going to depend on you, honestly. You're ahead of the curve and thinking about these important questions early on. Experiment! Try different things each time you go on a trip, and zero in on what works for your taste buds and for your body. Don't forget to pack town food out to the trail whenever you are resupplying! That helps keep the trail diet a bit more vibrant.

dudeijuststarted
04-12-2017, 23:11
I won't answer all of these but in Yogi's PCT guide it is suggested to used dailies and maildrops. I hiked with glasses and they were a constant hassle.

I'd say its safe to say you can get through the 100 mile in 10 days. If you're concerned about pack weight / food ratios, there are hostels in the region that will do a food drop for you 1/2 way through the HMW.

I got lucky and caught them when they did the drop, and got into town for a lobster and steak for free. Talk about roughing it!

I highly recommend reading up on backpacking nutrition. Get your essential carbs and fats, as well as vitamins and minerals (a multi daily is worth the pack weight.) Nutrient dense nuts, beans, fish, chicken, cheeses, olive oil, fiber, butter packets, mayo packets should all be staples in your food bag. Around that mix it up with meals. Those backpacker meals can really put a smile on your face after a few rough days in a row too, don't count them out totally! Also focus on eating healthy when you get to town. Go ahead and load up on junk after you get some quality protein and carbs in your system. You'll eat less junk and be better off for it. For entertainment I had anything from a humongous hardcover book to an old school Gameboy Advance that I found in the Williamstown, MA mall. I fired it back up today. Zelda - A Link To The Past...quintessential thru hike gaming.

AmericanRobin
04-13-2017, 09:54
Wow, thank you guys so much! I appreciate all the input and I will definitely be experimenting with food and entertainment as I get closer to my departure date.

Venchka
04-13-2017, 15:43
Where is the food discussion re: beans on trail?
Santa Fe instant refried beans are the most fuel and time efficient way to cook beans on trail. This is one recipe to try.
http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-dinner-recipe-beans-rice-with-fritos-cheese/

http://www.santafebean.com/Santa_Fe_Bean_Company/Products.html
Like all things involving personal taste, try at home before trusting on the trail.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ aka Teej
04-13-2017, 16:19
Great stuff above!
See also:
The Sobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2017 (https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/the-sobos-guide-to-baxter-and-katahdin-for-2017/)
Whiteblaze's Sobo forum (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/422-Southbound-thru-hikers-(MEGA))
Sobo 2017 Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/248443865570901/) The 2018 group is syill kinda quiet!
Also, since you have a year to get ready, consider attending the ALDHA Gathering, Traildaze, a Ruck, and practicing with your gear and food a lot!
Have fun!

AmericanRobin
04-13-2017, 22:16
Thanks teej! I loved that sobo guide to baxter! Especially the livestream of Katahdin. I thought it would be pretty motivating to write a little python script to make that livestream my desktop background, so that's exactly what I've done! From now until next June, every day I will see exactly what I'm up against :D

Also, Mr Wayne, thank you for that! That looks... trail-appetizing, but definitely not home-appetizing. I'll give it a shot

Venchka
04-14-2017, 11:55
Thanks teej! I loved that sobo guide to baxter! Especially the livestream of Katahdin. I thought it would be pretty motivating to write a little python script to make that livestream my desktop background, so that's exactly what I've done! From now until next June, every day I will see exactly what I'm up against :D

Also, Mr Wayne, thank you for that! That looks... trail-appetizing, but definitely not home-appetizing. I'll give it a shot

I find that I need to adjust the water and time with most recipes to suit me. That's best done in my kitchen or backyard. Have fun.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk