PDA

View Full Version : Would you change your start date because of possible thunderstorms?

shivelight
04-13-2017, 09:05
The plan was to start the approach trail this Sunday or Monday (16th or 17th). The forecast now shows possible thunderstorms every day from Sunday thru Wednesday.

While I know I can't avoid all storms once a hike starts, is it prudent to put off a start for four days because of a chance of lightening? My main concern is that all the hiking will be counter to lightening safety as it'd be uphill going towards a summit the entire first day.

What would you do? What have you done before?

Thanks for weighing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grampie
04-13-2017, 09:17
In my estimation, forecasted thunder storms are not a reason to postpone your hiking start. When hiking it is not unusual to see possible thunder storms in the forecast. Learn of the cautions for hiking in these conditions. Happy trails.

Abatis1948
04-13-2017, 09:17
On my first section hike, I started the approach trail, skipping the stairs, in a storm. I finished 5 days later in the rain. It rained the whole hike. This is very much a personal decision. Good luck on you hike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JC13
04-13-2017, 09:21
You might as well get rained on early, the sooner it happens, the sooner you will be able to decide if being wet is a deal breaker.

cmoulder
04-13-2017, 09:30
You might as well get rained on early, the sooner it happens, the sooner you will be able to decide if being wet is a deal breaker.

Good advice!

Did a long-planned 4-day hike in PA recently with some friends and we went ahead despite a crappy forecast (rain/snow) the first couple of days. The weather was indeed crappy and it was challenging but still a lot of fun. How glorious it was to have the warm sun on our faces after a couple of days like that, however!:sun

A friend crossing one of the many swollen streams we waded across while it was snowing!

TX Aggie
04-13-2017, 09:31
Completely a personal preference, but honestly the wind and rain are a greater factor than if you're concerned about lightening strikes. The threat of lightening can be mitigated pretty easily: stay off balds, stay clear of the taller trees and standing water. Generally, harder ground (rocks) are better than damp/wet soil and mud.
As for the wind and rain? Well that's the truly difficult part. My personal advice: embrace the suck and move out doing your best to keep your sleeping gear dry.

dudeijuststarted
04-13-2017, 09:47
Nope. No rain, no pain, no Maine (or wherever it is you plan on finishing!)

illabelle
04-13-2017, 10:38
Being from Idaho, perhaps you're unfamiliar with the southern forest. While you will occasionally reach an exposed area, most of the trail is under substantial tree cover. Yes, it'll be wet, but the lightning safety concern is much less than it is out west or up north in the above treeline areas of NH and ME. Georgia is a "walk in the woods."

la.lindsey
04-13-2017, 11:29
This time of year, most of the predicted thunderstorms will never even happen. Just start and be relatively smart about stuff.

colorado_rob
04-13-2017, 11:48
Being from Idaho, perhaps you're unfamiliar with the southern forest. While you will occasionally reach an exposed area, most of the trail is under substantial tree cover. Yes, it'll be wet, but the lightning safety concern is much less than it is out west or up north in the above treeline areas of NH and ME. Georgia is a "walk in the woods." I was going to say something similar, substituting "Colorado" for "Idaho".... it's really only above treeline that lightning is a significant concern (and we are above treeline a LOT in CO and ID), it's almost amusing seeing the fear of lightning on the AT, not that the danger is zero, just a lot less than in the high mountains (and Florida, interestingly enough). It's all relative!

T.S.Kobzol
04-13-2017, 13:00
the very first thing you will probably realize is to take weather forecasts with a grain of salt.

Bronk
04-13-2017, 13:07
Just about the time you think all your stuff is going to dry out today it will rain again. You'll be wet at least every 3rd day, probably more often. Everything you own will smell like mildew. You need to learn how to have fun hiking in the rain.

evyck da fleet
04-13-2017, 13:07
If the forecast was 100% rain with thunderstorms and ⛈ for three days yes. I cancelled an overnight hike to Springer a few years ago because of that and the tornado warnings. But for a possible thunderstorm, no way. That may as well be the forecast for the next month.

Wuff
04-13-2017, 13:53
While it may seem less than ideal psychologically to start your hike in the rain, I think it could work out the opposite. As many already said, get the rain and mud out of the way early. When I started my hike it was my first backpacking trip ever - I worried about the rain for days until it finally poured and I realized "Oh, you just keep walking".

Hikingjim
04-13-2017, 15:54
thunderstorms don't last forever. You can plan your day and wait things out at shelters, etc, before you go out on the limited exposed areas on the southern AT
You're going to be hiking in a lot of warm weather, and you'll have a "chance of thunderstorm" A LOT, so you'll get used to managing risk

i've had many fantastic hiking days where there's some nasty pictures of tstorms in the forecast.

tflaris
04-13-2017, 17:27
Embrace the Suck

Malto
04-13-2017, 17:54
The sooner you learn that you won't melt in rain (unless you're a snowflake) the better off you will be. It's the crappiest days that really make you appreciate the nice days. Just do it.

DownEaster
04-13-2017, 17:58
Personally I wouldn't vary my schedule for thunderstorms; I'm used to the wet and know the risk of being hit by lightning is very low. I wouldn't even delay for snowstorms, due to logistical issues. These days the hassles associated with air travel include committing to a flight long in advance of any weather forecast. I might need to find a place that sells crampons when I arrive in Atlanta, but that would just be part of hiking to Mother Nature's drumbeats.

Dogwood
04-13-2017, 18:18
My trail runners aren't Gortex. I'd postpone until 5 months straight of no thunderstorms in the forecast.

rafe
04-13-2017, 19:03
For a section hike, if I had a choice in the matter, maybe.

For a thru-hike, it would seem silly. You're going to be dealing with whatever nature dishes out for the next few months. Get used to it.

The Snowman
04-13-2017, 19:26
I don't hike the AT in the rain

illabelle
04-13-2017, 20:44

Very wise of you!

AfterParty
04-13-2017, 20:45
Nope I wouldn't consider it unless the temps were -teens

Praha4
04-13-2017, 20:59
Just be prepared for full or overcrowded shelters in GA, especially in thunderstorms. Setting up a tent in thunderstorms not usually much fun. Just did it myself on last section hike, in a GA red clay campsite, turned to mush in the rain....near Hawk Mtn shelter.

MuddyWaters
04-13-2017, 22:02
The plan was to start the approach trail this Sunday or Monday (16th or 17th). The forecast now shows possible thunderstorms every day from Sunday thru Wednesday.

While I know I can't avoid all storms once a hike starts, is it prudent to put off a start for four days because of a chance of lightening? My main concern is that all the hiking will be counter to lightening safety as it'd be uphill going towards a summit the entire first day.

What would you do? What have you done before?

Thanks for weighing in.

On average, you will be rained on about 20% of the time during an AT thruhike.
Get used to the idea.

rafe
04-13-2017, 23:26
Thunderstorms are mostly a problem if you're on an open ridge. I generally don't worry much about them if I'm in dense woods.

Dogwood
04-13-2017, 23:45
The OP is referring to thunderstorms accompanied by lightning and, it's assumed, possibly heavy winds. It's not just some rain showers he's referring.

In this context of weather perhaps it's best to evaluate on a case by case basis.

However, the OP may be misinterpreting what scattered and isolated thunderstorms mean meteorologically. As said here, "(forecasting) scattered thunderstorms has NOTHING to do with the intensity or severity of the storms. Anytime thunderstorms are forecast for your area you should always pay more attention in case a severe threat exists." Let's do that. After reviewing three weather forecasts for the Amicalola Falls/Approach Trail area I'm currently not seeing any severe weather alerts. http://www.aerostorms.com/scattered-vs-isolated-thunderstorms-what-is-the-difference/

Typically a forecast of scattered showers or thunderstorms suggests 40-60% chances of experiencing rain or, another way of seeing the glass half full, 40-60% chance of not experiencing showers. On Sunday those chances are currently 50% and Mon 60% from the weather site predicting the highest chances of rain. It may not even rain.

Combine this knowledge with how to avoid and minimize lightning dangers in context of the heavily forested Approach Trail which should not currently be deemed a high threat.

TX Aggie
04-14-2017, 00:16
Lots of very good, and accurate, info on this thread. I was curious how much bad information and fear would show up, but there's been virtually none.

The main themes:
A) you're going to get wet if you do any extensive hiking on the AT. Embrace the suck
B) lightening isn't a huge threat unless you're on a mountaintop clearing. (Even then, I would be more concerned with tornados personally)

Don't let a little liquid sunshine slow your trip down. Enjoy!

Tundracamper
04-17-2017, 19:29
If three or four days of rain is an issue, what about the possibility of rain the other four months?

DavidNH
04-17-2017, 20:21
assuming you are starting at Springer Mountain.. I think they have chance of thunderstorms every day for months. So if you only hikle in good weather.. you will never get anywhere. Start when you start regardless of weather!

error
04-17-2017, 20:38
For plain old thunderstorms, not really. But I did get off the trail for tornadoes... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Atlanta_tornado_outbreak)

rafe
04-17-2017, 21:26
For plain old thunderstorms, not really. But I did get off the trail for tornadoes... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Atlanta_tornado_outbreak)

I held off starting a ten-day section waiting for Hurricane Ernesto to blow over. Something to keep in mind if you're thinking of hiking the mid-Atlantic AT during hurricane season.

Two years later I found myself trying to plan around wildfires in California.

Deadeye
04-18-2017, 10:11
I might move my start by give or take a day to have nice weather to start, but otherwise, you're going to get rained on plenty - embrace the suck.

Berserker
04-19-2017, 18:02
I assume the OP is out on the trail now and has figured out what T-storms are like in the SE. Random, can occur many days in a row, and there's very little exposure making the possibility of a lightening strike a more random possibility than let's say being on an exposed ridge in the Sierras where a lighting strike is more like an imminent problem.

Anyway, hope the OP is having fun and reports back on thoughts about the SE T-storms.

Starchild
04-19-2017, 19:31
Postponing a day OK, 4 days, how can you take it? You should be feeling the call of the trail. Maybe skip the approach trail and take the forest service road.

Chillfactor
04-19-2017, 20:45
Hiking in the rain can be a bitch and I might not start out in pouring rain on my first day. But I wouldn't NOT hike and stay in my tent because of rain. You can't avoid it. Conquer the elements! It's empowering.

Dogwood
04-19-2017, 22:33
Why don't you call AF SP inquiring about what the weather was on Sun and Mon? I'll offer it may not have even rained.

When I was incessantly complaining getting into a very negative mindset about several days of rain on an AT thru-hike Flying Turtle saw I was struggling mentally. I guess he got tired of my negativity. He really helped me change my mindset once and and for all about the rain by saying:

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm(rain) to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.”

― Vivian Greene

If there is no severe weather alert, I take into consideration what I'm facing, prepare well, and adapt as required to the conditions, all storm/rain situations don't have to be cause for quitting or postponing. Storms and rain can actually be appreciated even embraced.

DavidNH
04-19-2017, 22:40
so if you never hike the at in the rain.. I wonder how long your thru hike would take? 15 years? That's a lot of zero days! :D

la.lindsey
04-19-2017, 23:14
so if you never hike the at in the rain.. I wonder how long your thru hike would take? 15 years? That's a lot of zero days! :D

I met a thru-hiker who (in GA) said he didn't plan on hiking in rain or snow. He was on his third day zeroing in the shelter when I met him (a light drizzle kept him from hiking out).

He did finish in less than a year, but I don't know if he ever started walking in the rain.