PDA

View Full Version : Another Section completed

MtDoraDave
04-15-2017, 13:32
I just got home from doing the Davenport Gap to Devil's Fork Gap (65 mi, nobo) section, and it was a great trip...although a short one.

I drove up from FL Sunday afternoon and parked at Devil's Fork Gap, slept in the back of my truck overnight, and caught a shuttle the next morning (I used Ronnie McGaha based on a tip I got here on WB. He was fairly priced and punctual) to Davenport Gap. While waiting for Ronnie to arrive, a NOBO hiker named Shades came by, and I gave him a package of chocolate chip cookies I didn't eat on the drive up. Trail Magic.

Within a mile or two north of Davenport Gap, I heard some noises coming from behind a tree... Scratch, scratch, peck peck... I pulled out my camera (phone) and crept up to the tree slowly, and was about 3 feet from a Pileated Woodpecker, who saw me at the same time and flew away. That's the closest I've ever seen one! Cool sight, no time for photo.

The first few nights I was in a 12 or so person sized bubble. Some of the thru-hikers were Snapchat, Sir Poops-a-lot, Kickstarter, Piper, Wes (Pop-up is a possible trail name, but they hadn't decided yet), 10 fitty, Slim Shady, and others who I forget their names.

We arrived in Hot Springs on Wednesday, and they either zeroed or nearoed in Hot Springs Thursday; but I left hot springs early (7:30) the next morning and did 19 miles to Little Laurel Shelter and met up with a slightly smaller bubble of hikers. Lucky, Maneater, Erin (ntn yet), midnight Joker, a cool guy with a prosthetic lower leg - forget his trail name, and a few others that I forget their names.

The social aspect of the trail is what makes it great, to me. Weather can be good or bad - but if the people around you are fun, its a good time!

Dave

P.S.: To the people who worry about finding a hiking partner before starting a thru hike: The people I met on this section were about 3 to 4 weeks into their thru hike. Many of them have either moved past or fallen behind their original hiking group or partner. It seems to be the way of the trail. Unless you know your hiking style and abilities AND your partner's hiking style and abilities, after a week, two, or three, one of you will likely develop a different pace or daily mileage than the other.
Don't be afraid to start "solo" because you will meet some great people who fit your daily pace.
Also, after you get to a trail town, you will probably find yourself in a new group of friends because either you will zero for a bit - or they will.
It just seems to be the way it goes. Different people stop at different times, and seem to leap-frog each other along the trail... and when they see each other again, it was like witnessing a family reunion.
The AT is a great community/ culture.
Section hiking some areas while NOT during the thru-hiker season; disregard the above. Hiking (camping) alone when there are no other hikers around may be therapeutic for some, but I personally don't care for it.

MtDoraDave
04-15-2017, 16:08
I learn something new on every section hike I do. I picked up two things this time.
1. If you tend to create watery Knorr meals like I do, bring a ziplock bag of instant potatoes. Add a dash or two to thicken up your runny dinner.
2. The pull open spout that came on my Sawyer is so hard to open, sometimes I pull the whole cap off the filter - it also requires touching it. The flip cap that comes on some Smartwater bottles is an awesome replacement.
- on a related note, most thru hikers ditched the bags that came with the Sawyer filter and just keep one "dirty" Smart water bottle. Using the Smart water bottle is easier than using the bag on many of the water sources along the way, and the Sawyer filter screws onto the smart water bottle perfectly.
I carried three one liter smart water bottles and the two 32oz bags that came with the Sawyer. Maybe one liter at a time is all that's needed for hiking - but when I get to camp, I like to fill all of them up so I don't have to keep going to the water source. It's worth it to me to carry a few extra ounces (empty containers) to NOT have to return repeatedly to the water source at camp - sometimes the water source isn't convenient or close to camp. I would often have one bag still full the next morning after breakfast and coffee - and there was usually another hiker who was happy to use it - to not have to go to the water source again.

I camped along the river in Hot Springs. Rather than hike back into town to get water, I filled up out of the French Broad river. Later I heard that it wasn't safe to drink that water. Oh well... I drank half a bottle of it heading north. When I got to a nice looking "spring" coming from what looked like the bottom of a dam, I went down and dumped out my "river" water, and got a liter from that source. It's the "pond with boxed spring" at mile 278.5 ('16 AWOL). Even after going through the Sawyer, it was orange. Really heavy iron and sulfur flavor. Blech... Luckily there was a clean source another .8 north.

Many of the springs along the way had been improved upon by the installation of a Rhododendron leaf acting as a water spout. I didn't think much of it, because there are clever hikers out there and there are usually Rhododendrons all around the water sources. One place, however, had been improved with the ubiquitous Rhodo leaf, and I looked around ... and there wasn't a Rhododendron in sight. Apparently, some hikers carry a leaf or two for such a need, leaving it behind to help other hikers who follow. Mini trail magic.

Maineiac64
04-16-2017, 06:04
Hate the sawyer bags, I use evernew to store extra water for carry and a dirty smart water bottle like you mention. I like the flip top idea for the sawyer.

Longboysfan
04-18-2017, 13:29
I finished my section Hike a few weeks back.
Starting at Neel's gap stopping the Winding Stair Gap.
77 miles in 5 1/2 days. Day 2 was a killer.

Now planning on picking up in the fall from Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam.
Driving to the hiker inn near Fontana.
Stay overnight shuttle to Winding stair and hike back.

Hopefully about 4 1/2 to 5 days.
No rush this time.

You're spot on in the hiker bubble. Lots of people to walk and talk with.
I met a couple out there that got me through day 2 and 3.
Great people.