PDA

View Full Version : spoiler alert: Repeated part of a five mile hike?

1azarus
04-15-2017, 13:50
...tomorrow's New York Times crossword puzzle:

repeated part of a five mile hike? ...five letters long

LONGI

moldy
04-15-2017, 14:41
Perhaps eieie

tiptoe
04-15-2017, 18:17
I wonder how many other puzzle addicts are WBers? Count me in! Crosswords, Sudoku, and KenKen keep me sane (some would say relatively sane).

1azarus
04-15-2017, 22:43
probably we all live in CT. And I am a purist -- just crosswords. well, and a bit of walking. you do get it, right, long 'I'? of course you do...

BuckeyeBill
04-16-2017, 03:32
Not necessarily a puzzle, but I enjoy cryptograms.

Old Grouse
04-16-2017, 07:33
The Sunday Times puzzle is a treat. Years ago there was a competitive group of commuters who would start the daily NYT crossword as the train entered the tunnel in Manhattan with the goal of finishing it before the train reached Grand Central Terminal.

rickb
04-16-2017, 07:43
probably we all live in CT. And I am a purist -- just crosswords. well, and a bit of walking. you do get it, right, long 'I'? of course you do...

Clever.

I had to ask my wife :D.

Here is a hiking-related riddle in return: What is the longest word in the English language?

6 letters.

RangerZ
04-16-2017, 09:43
Not necessarily a puzzle, but I enjoy cryptograms.

I used to do the crosswords in the newspaper until it's cost exceeded the news value. Besides, the morning paper is already yesterday's news.

I do cryptograms. Sometimes, rarely, when i'm really on my game I can almost just read them.

I don't even look at siduko. As an engineer I already deal with numbers all day.

I figure that when I can't do the cryptograms any more will be a sign that my mental faculties are slipping. But then I may not be able to realize it.

rafe
04-16-2017, 10:03
read it last night... finally got it this morning. this is why i don't do crosswords.

tiptoe
04-16-2017, 11:38
I like cryptograms, too, but I don't often see them. And double acrostics. I get parts of the Sunday nyt on Saturday, so if nothing else is going on, I generally do the Sunday crossword on Saturday night and the double acrostic or pun puzzle on Sunday evening.

Has anyone ever participated in the annual nyt crossword puzzle contest? I haven't officially, but I have done the puzzles at home and sent them in for grading. They'll sell you how you stack up by age, region, and contest experience.
http://www.crosswordtournament.com/

Traveler
04-16-2017, 16:15
Clever.

I had to ask my wife :D.

Here is a hiking-related riddle in return: What is the longest word in the English language?

6 letters.

Is it "Always"?

BuckeyeBill
04-16-2017, 16:28
I figure that when I can't do the cryptograms any more will be a sign that my mental faculties are slipping. But then I may not be able to realize it.

That's why I do them as well. I use to live in NYC and loved doing the crossword.

scudder
04-16-2017, 16:56

6 letters.

sMILEs there's a mile between the s's

What do John the Baptist and Winnie the Pooh have in common?

egilbe
04-16-2017, 17:09

What do John the Baptist and Winnie the Pooh have in common?

The.

Need more lettrs

tiptoe
04-17-2017, 11:11
Well, I finally got to sit down and solve the puzzle. Very cute, though you have to be of a certain age to be able to return to those thrilling days of yesteryear and get the trick clues.

rocketsocks
04-17-2017, 12:07

What do John the Baptist and Winnie the Pooh have in common?nut n honey

rocketsocks
04-17-2017, 12:09
nut n honeyim sorry, I'm afraid I was...again :D

rocketsocks
04-17-2017, 12:11
:banana

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo