PDA

View Full Version : Watery Meals? tip:

MtDoraDave
04-16-2017, 11:46
I mentioned this in the General section, but figured it'd be better here.

If you tend to have watery knorr meals like I do, or ramen, or whatever - bring a ziploc bag of instant mashed potatoes so you can add a spoonful or three to your meal to thicken it up!

Venchka
04-16-2017, 11:59
Or keep notes and start with less water.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handlebar
04-16-2017, 20:32
I often deliberately use extra water on my Knorr meals in order to prevent burning them, then add Idahoans to thicken them up as well as add a few calories.
Seems to make it easier to clean my pot as well.

Maineiac64
04-16-2017, 20:54

If you tend to have watery knorr meals like I do, or ramen, or whatever - bring a ziploc bag of instant mashed potatoes so you can add a spoonful or three to your meal to thicken it up!

Thanks. Great tip.

Venchka
04-16-2017, 21:22
Fair enough. My problem is with "Freezer Bag" and Knorr Sides. I think on my last failed attempt I was down to 1/3 of normal water. Still like bad soup.
Couscous, Minute Rice, etc. will also soak up excess water.
Water

rocketsocks
04-16-2017, 22:37
Dehydrated bean bark pulverized...that'll tighten up any meal.

garlic08
04-17-2017, 09:07
Another good reason to carry instant potatoes is that they make a good emergency meal if for some reason you can't start a fire. They will reconstitute in cold water. So will instant beans.

scope
04-17-2017, 10:26
Good tip! When its cold out, I'll use a good bit less water at first for the initial pkg listed wait time and then add some more boiling hot later, typically doesn't take long after that to fully hydrate. Might even put in more water if I think the potatoes will complement the meal!

rocketsocks
04-17-2017, 11:44
Sometimes I like to have a littlte soup with my meal and will just leave it alone, have a few bites of the soup, then continue on with the main coarse. Depending on the dish though you may want to add some spice or what have you after the soup coarse as that can use up all the goodness and leave the main dish a little bland.

Tipi Walter
04-17-2017, 11:52
Reminds me of the worst meal I ever had on a backpacking trip---Was at the end of a long trip and my food choices were almost gone, so I mixed up a pot of instant potatoes with brown sugar. Never again.

rocketsocks
04-17-2017, 12:16
Reminds me of the worst meal I ever had on a backpacking trip---Was at the end of a long trip and my food choices were almost gone, so I mixed up a pot of instant potatoes with brown sugar. Never again.
I can usually eat like a billy goat, but you're right, that combo does sound a little off.

TexasBob
04-17-2017, 17:00

Might loosen up something else.

Starchild
04-17-2017, 17:23
It's good BUT, it gets old really fast. Better not to overwater in the first place, and if you do it too often you will be sure not to after doing this to many times.

peakbagger
04-17-2017, 18:29
A bag of assorted dehydrated veggies does wonders to thicken things up.

Venchka
04-17-2017, 19:05
A bag of assorted dehydrated veggies does wonders to thicken things up.

Thread Jack
For the DIY challenged where can I find assorted dried veggies? I've looked high and low. Nothing. Any ideas?
Wayne

CalebJ
04-17-2017, 19:08
Amazon has lots of options for dehydrated vegetables.

Sandy of PA
04-17-2017, 20:07
Packit Gormet has many different freeze dried veggies in small packs.

rocketsocks
04-17-2017, 20:29
Might loosen up something else.one door closes and another doors opens.

peakbagger
04-17-2017, 20:54
I buy my veggies from Honeyville and break down the cans into vacuum sealed bags that I throw a couple of oxygen absorbers in.

Be careful that you are looking for dehydrated veggies not dried veggies. The dehydrated veggies rehydrate much better than dried.

http://shop.honeyville.com/freeze-dried-vegetable-mix.html

Venchka
04-17-2017, 21:38
Thanks everyone.
I don't do Amazon since they allowed someone to make a charge to my credit card.
I was hoping there was a supermarket source of dried veggie soup mix or similar.
If not I'll do one of the backpacking food sources.
Wayne

gracebowen
04-17-2017, 22:34
Walmart.com has some

Venchka
04-17-2017, 22:36
Walmart.com has some

Thanks. I'll take a look.
Wayne

BuckeyeBill
04-18-2017, 01:09
Thanks everyone.
I don't do Amazon since they allowed someone to make a charge to my credit card.
I was hoping there was a supermarket source of dried veggie soup mix or similar.
If not I'll do one of the backpacking food sources.
Wayne

Wayne,

Sorry I'm so late for the party but our buddy Dutch has a pretty good collection at his site (http://dutchwaregear.com/). Hope you find what you need.

Pony Golightly
04-18-2017, 03:25
Chia seeds are the magic fix here! They don't taste like anything or weigh much, are a great source of omega 3 and fiber, and soak up lots of water.

I eat them in my yogurt, but I wouldn't hesitate to put them in anything. You can buy white ones if you don't like having little black seeds in your food.

rashamon12
04-18-2017, 05:18
Something i have always done with ramen and the sort is use extra water to cook it but than before adding any of the flavoring or the sort i will take my fork and use it as a makeshift strainer to reduce the amount of water to a slightly below typical amount. Than i let it sit for mayby 5 minutes than add my flavoring.

egilbe
04-18-2017, 06:57
I buy my veggies from Honeyville and break down the cans into vacuum sealed bags that I throw a couple of oxygen absorbers in.

Be careful that you are looking for dehydrated veggies not dried veggies. The dehydrated veggies rehydrate much better than dried.

http://shop.honeyville.com/freeze-dried-vegetable-mix.html

I've tried the Harmony house dehydrated veggies. They work best if they soak for several hours before cooking in any other "food". They have soup mixes that are great add ons to rice, or polenta or cous cous.

JFKinYK
05-24-2017, 19:29
You can quite easily make your own dehydrated vegetables. Buy a bag of frozen veggies of your liking, rip open bag and either spread on a dehydrator tray or on a cookie sheet for oven dehydrating. Put them on still frozen. Works great and is likely the easiest thing you will ever dehydrate. No washing, no blanching, no cutting, no peeling etc etc.

zelph
05-24-2017, 19:46
Add a big Funky Dumpling:D

DownEaster
05-24-2017, 23:00
You can quite easily make your own dehydrated vegetables. Buy a bag of frozen veggies of your liking, rip open bag and either spread on a dehydrator tray or on a cookie sheet for oven dehydrating. Put them on still frozen. Works great and is likely the easiest thing you will ever dehydrate. No washing, no blanching, no cutting, no peeling etc etc.
I've never done any dehydrating, but I'm intrigued by this idea. So how does oven dehydrating work here? Temperature and time? Is packaging in quart freezer bags good enough? What's the "shelf" life?

Siestita
05-25-2017, 05:26
In Praise of Dried Okra

I purchase either dried dried green beans or dried okra from local grocery stores (Krogers and Walmart) to add to my trail dinners of Knorr pasta sides, Knorr rice sides, or mac and cheese. Those dried vegies are marketed as snack foods. Right now I'm munching a few dried "Green Bean Chips" from Walmart. Because they contain some canola oil, but no water, these dried green beans generate a respectable 126 calories per ounce. I use them to add variety, and also some fiber, to my trail diet.

After soaking a handful of dried green beans or dried okra (yummy!) for 10 minutes in my pot with cold water, I then heat that water, including the green beans or okra, to prepare my meal. Recognizing that some water is absorbed by the vegetables, I use slightly more water than package directions specify to make Knorr meals.

Greenlight
05-25-2017, 09:44
I had dehydrated refried beans with jalapeno flavoring along for my section hike last week. They're a great change up from smashed taters.

rocketsocks
05-25-2017, 13:40
I had dehydrated refried beans with jalapeno flavoring along for my section hike last week. They're a great change up from smashed taters.that's ma favorite thing!

zelph
05-25-2017, 14:38
Add 1 TBL corn starch to water to have it boil with food(Ramen). That's what I tried today for lunch, worked great. I cheated a little...added a Thomas, thin bagel39448

Smithereens
05-26-2017, 02:10

Will it work for coffee?:banana

rocketsocks
05-26-2017, 09:06
Will it work for coffee?:bananamarshmallows!