PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my NEMO Hornet 2P

emilialovve
04-17-2017, 18:39
Hi there! So after some investigating I finally decided on the Nemo Hornet 2P for some section hiking on the AT. I havent used lightweight gear much, and I am really trying to make the effort to slowly accumulate efficient gear. I set it up in store at REI and I thought it was great! A little bit of a learning curve because there are several componanets I have not send before on other tents. Anyway, I set it up and thought it was good. I also set up the Big Agnes Copper Spur just to tempt myself, but ultimately decided on the Nemo so save a few bucks- the footrpint with the Nemo was significantly cheaper. I got home, and decided to set it up a few times in the yard. It started to rain so I figured it would be a great simulation to try and set this thing up racing against the elements. I have to say, it was a lot trickier than in store, maybe because I was trying to do it before it started to rain heavily, but rushing to get the tent up was more difficult that I would have hoped. I realized that this tent has a lot of extras in the design. There are a few elements that help attach the rain fly properly so you keep a dry tent, such as a loop on the interior of the rain fly that attaches to the pole, and several Velcro loops to attach the fly to the inside poles. I wanna say I dont mind doing that, but after a long day of hiking- I wont be feeling it. It seemed too contrived for me, so I ask you this- what is the easiest set up lightweight tent out there? I don't remember the Big Agnes being this involved when I set it up in store, but then again I didnt remember the Hornet being either... appreciative of any advice!

ScareBear
04-17-2017, 19:26
Hi there! So after some investigating I finally decided on the Nemo Hornet 2P for some section hiking on the AT. I havent used lightweight gear much, and I am really trying to make the effort to slowly accumulate efficient gear. I set it up in store at REI and I thought it was great! A little bit of a learning curve because there are several componanets I have not send before on other tents. Anyway, I set it up and thought it was good. I also set up the Big Agnes Copper Spur just to tempt myself, but ultimately decided on the Nemo so save a few bucks- the footrpint with the Nemo was significantly cheaper. I got home, and decided to set it up a few times in the yard. It started to rain so I figured it would be a great simulation to try and set this thing up racing against the elements. I have to say, it was a lot trickier than in store, maybe because I was trying to do it before it started to rain heavily, but rushing to get the tent up was more difficult that I would have hoped. I realized that this tent has a lot of extras in the design. There are a few elements that help attach the rain fly properly so you keep a dry tent, such as a loop on the interior of the rain fly that attaches to the pole, and several Velcro loops to attach the fly to the inside poles. I wanna say I dont mind doing that, but after a long day of hiking- I wont be feeling it. It seemed too contrived for me, so I ask you this- what is the easiest set up lightweight tent out there? I don't remember the Big Agnes being this involved when I set it up in store, but then again I didnt remember the Hornet being either... appreciative of any advice!

The BA uses the poles to set the corners of the tent body and it forms a space frame. You extend the poles and set the small "Y" at the back by putting the poles into the grommets at the corners. Move to the front and do the same. You will have to bend the poles with a little effort for placing the final corner pole. The poles are now erect and tensioned. You then clip the tent body to the poles. Stake the tent body.You then stretch the fly over the poles and clip to the tent body at the corners. You then stake out the the fly. After a few hours, pull on the fly tension straps at each corner to take up relaxing fabric. It takes me less than 3 minutes from deploy to fully set for the BA FlyCreek UL3, including setting stakes and tensioning lines...

That said, I am interested in how different the Hornet 2P is, since it is on my short-list for a single person tent for me...let us know how the learning curve goes....

Heliotrope
04-17-2017, 19:53
I just bought the hornet 2P for trips with my girlfriend. Typically I use tarps and inner net tents for solo trips. I have set this tent up in my home and it seems really quick to me. One thing I have learned over the years is to practice with your gear. Eventually it becomes second nature and you don't have to think twice about what you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emilialovve
04-17-2017, 21:45
Thanks! Yeah I think this one will take some practice for me :)

emilialovve
04-17-2017, 21:46
Going to take heliotropes advice and just keep setting it up and become more familiar! I will be taking it out on the AT April 28th so I'll let you know how it goes!

capehiker
04-17-2017, 22:33
I'm currently thru hiking with the Nemo Hornet 2p. It takes 2 minutes to set up. You just need to practice. I stuff the bag the same way every morning in the event I need to setup in the rain (the inner gets stuffed first, the fly is the first thing I pull out.

When it rains, pull the fly out and place it on the ground. Then extend your poles and place it under the fly. Then put the inner under the poles and fly. Then put the poles in their respective slots. Stake out the tent. Once inside the tent you can open the side doors, reach around and fasten the Velcro loops from the inside.

NJdreamer
04-17-2017, 22:38
I have the Nemo Hornet 1, and really like although the set up is not super fast. The tent is very light. I may try to color code the poles with the tent, which would make it faster than remembering the top of the tent has two connections, not one. I use a homemade footprint, and am interested in any comments about the Nemo footprint for the one person test footprint. About practicing, I suggest do it when you are tired, not when bright and chipper. This works best for me to practice, much more similar to real backpacking experience.

BuckeyeBill
04-17-2017, 23:31
Man after looking at your pole setup I can see why you say setup is not super fast. I saw a guy one time setup up his tent in the rain and he was doing it upside down. While we were cooking dinner, I ask him why he did it the way. Told me helps keep the rain out while setting it up, then he can flip it over and throw the fly over it and cinch it down. After watching him, I could see his point. Good luck and as everyone else said practice, practice, practice.

Rex Clifton
04-18-2017, 07:42
I once bought a tent that took "practice" to set up ( not the Nemo) and I never quite got the hang of it. Ended up selling and getting a Zpacks Duplex. Tents that take "practice" are too complicated and should be avoided. Think about setting this thing up in the dark after a long day hiking. Even if you get the hang of it, do you really want to deal with this? Setting up the Zpacks is simple as a screwdriver.

heatherfeather
04-18-2017, 09:44
I find the setup of the hornet 2p to be relatively quick and simple. You don't have to do the Velcro loops unless you need to ride out a windstorm. Most of the time they will not be needed. Just practice, it will sink in.

Stone1984
07-04-2017, 08:52
I'm currently thru hiking with the Nemo Hornet 2p. It takes 2 minutes to set up. You just need to practice. I stuff the bag the same way every morning in the event I need to setup in the rain (the inner gets stuffed first, the fly is the first thing I pull out.

When it rains, pull the fly out and place it on the ground. Then extend your poles and place it under the fly. Then put the inner under the poles and fly. Then put the poles in their respective slots. Stake out the tent. Once inside the tent you can open the side doors, reach around and fasten the Velcro loops from the inside.

How is this holding up on your thru hike? I saw where another thru hiker has some problems with the floor leaking.