PDA

View Full Version : 1-2 day hike with 7yr old

Ironman5050
04-18-2017, 10:09
My 7yr old son and i are looking to do a short overnight hike this summer. I'm thinking about one of the following but would certainly like suggestions. I would think 5-7mi/day would be our threshold. I like the idea of doing Blood Mountain for the view, but it may be too much for him. Thanks.

Option 1: start@ Amicolola-Hike Inn-End @ Springer Mtn
Option 2: start@ cooper gap- gooch mtn shelter- end@ Woody Gap
Option 3: Start@ Millers Gap.Woody Gap-Woods Hole shelter- end@ Neels gap.

Dan Roper
04-18-2017, 10:30
Does your youngster have experience carrying a backpack in warm or hot weather up steep climbs? If he does, any of the sections you mention, at five to seven miles per day, should be okay. If he has little or no experience, then you might dial it down a bit, choosing Cooper Gap to Woody Gap, as the climbs aren't as long or as stout (Sassafras and Justus are memorable, but not as tough as they used to be). You do get very nice views, especially in the Ramrock Mountain vicinity before Woody Gap.

Water may or may not be an issue, but plan carefully if it is. During dry stretches in summer and autumn, water can become pretty scarce, making backpacking pretty miserable if it's hot and humid. If the rains haven't been regular, Cooper to Woody is preferable, simply because you'll have reliable water at Stover Creek and probably at Gooch Mountain Shelter.

Ironman5050
04-18-2017, 10:47
Does your youngster have experience carrying a backpack in warm or hot weather up steep climbs? If he does, any of the sections you mention, at five to seven miles per day, should be okay. If he has little or no experience, then you might dial it down a bit, choosing Cooper Gap to Woody Gap, as the climbs aren't as long or as stout (Sassafras and Justus are memorable, but not as tough as they used to be). You do get very nice views, especially in the Ramrock Mountain vicinity before Woody Gap.

Water may or may not be an issue, but plan carefully if it is. During dry stretches in summer and autumn, water can become pretty scarce, making backpacking pretty miserable if it's hot and humid. If the rains haven't been regular, Cooper to Woody is preferable, simply because you'll have reliable water at Stover Creek and probably at Gooch Mountain Shelter.

We have done several day hikes in the Smokys. The most difficult we have done was Abrams falls. 5.2mi round trip, we hiked in, swam for an hour and then hiked out. I would be carrying the majority of the load.

Rmcpeak
04-18-2017, 10:59
I just went through Three Ridges and thought that Reed's Gap to Harper's Creek shelter might be a good one for me and my two small kids. Harper's Creek looks pretty good for playing in. I think it's only a mile or two from parking at Reed's Gap to the shelter. No views, but you get a creek with little waterfalls.

chknfngrs
04-18-2017, 11:02
Definitely makes a difference if the kid carries something or nothing. Also budget time for dawdling. Lots of stuff to look at that we big people don't see. It's also important to make it fun if you intend on repeat performances. My 8 year old loves to backpack with me (maybe because we eat Oreos and pop tarts)

Maineiac64
04-18-2017, 11:03
Option 2 is good, cooper is past sassafras and there are a couple of spots with very nice views. Have fun.

JC13
04-18-2017, 11:04
The only other downside to #3 that I can think of is the lack of water. Not that big a deal for a 2 day 1 night, but still something to think about. Woods Hole has been dry since last year, and rumor from the trail is Slaughter Creek is dry as well.

HooKooDooKu
04-18-2017, 11:46
We have done several day hikes in the Smokys. The most difficult we have done was Abrams falls. 5.2mi round trip, we hiked in, swam for an hour and then hiked out. I would be carrying the majority of the load.
I hate to say this, but when it comes to hikes in GSMNP, the hike out to Abrams Falls and back is about as easy a hike the park has to offer.

However, you're doing right limiting your daily limit to 5-7 miles for a 7yo. I'm not familiar with the terrain around Springer Mtn, Woody Gap, and Neels Gap, so I can't offer much input there. But if you are interested in over-night hikes in GSMNP, I'm experienced at hiking there with kids and can offer suggestions there.

One example that I've done with a beginning 7yo is a two night hike to Gregory Bald.
Day 1: Park at the Twenty Mile Ranger Station parking lot. It's a simple 4 mile hike to campsite #92 along Twentymile Trail and Long Hungary Ridge Trail.
Day 2: Climb Long Hungary Ridge Trail and Gregory Bald Trail. It's a 5 mile hike with a pretty serious climb, so the going will likely be slow with a 7yo. But you've got all day and the distance isn't overwhelming. The campsite for the second night would be #13 just below Gregory Bald (one of my personal favorite campsites in the park).
Day 3: Seven mile hike down Wolf Ridge Trail. Obviously the longest leg of the trip, but because it's all down hill, it shouldn't take as long as Day 2.

hikernutcasey
04-20-2017, 11:58
I have found that the key to have a good trip with a youngster under 10 is you have to make it fun. Bring candy, take frequent breaks, hike places that have rocks for them to climb, creeks to play in and waterfalls or views to take in also help.

For a 7 year old I think 5 or 6 miles max is as far as I would do for a day unless they have plenty of experience and you are sure they can do more. The last thing you want is for the fun to dwindle and energy run out which quickly turns their attitude sour to the whole idea of what you are trying to teach them to enjoy.

I have taken my now 8 year old on several overnight trips doing 3 or 4 miles each day to Grayson Highlands and he loves it! It's the perfect place to take a kid because of the ponies, the rocks to climb on and the openness of the ridge which eliminates the "boring" green tunnel. Take him there in July and you can also eat wild blueberries all day :)

globetruck
04-20-2017, 12:45
I started taking my son hiking at age 6, making about 2 miles. By 8-9, he could handle an 8 mile day, but it took some coaxing. By 10, I realized that mileage isn't why kids like hiking. He likes his pocket knife, he loves playing Uno, he likes catching crayfish and newts, he likes exploring old ruins, he likes campfires, and he likes some foods more than others. We've also done some long distance bike rides (160 miles on the GAP and then 360 on the GAP + C&O). He's capable of 65 mile days on the bike and 10 mile days on a hike, but he'd rather just have fun.

My suggestion: concentrate on all those other things and find a hike that offers the most bang per mile. He's 11 now and he taught me that mileage is an artificial goal imposed by adults.

Wheezy
04-20-2017, 12:58
What I've found with my kids is that there has to be a destination. No walking just to be walking. Water to play in is always a plus.

Odd Man Out
04-20-2017, 13:19
My dad took me on my first backpacking trip when I was about 7 YO. I recall I carried a canvas knapsack (no frame). We hiked the AT from Washington Monument State Park in MD to the closest shelter (just a few miles, pretty flat, I think).

maptester
04-20-2017, 14:51
An easy overnight hike in GA is from Hogpen Gap to the top of Wildcat Mtn--just off the AT and on the blue blaze to the Whitley Gap shelter. The top of Wildcat is an open rock outcropping with great views of Cowrock Mtn--plenty of places to play on and explore and camp if you want. Walk down to the shelter for water if needed--few AT thru hikers go to Whitley Gap Shelter because of the distance off the AT. And because of the open space on Wildcat the night views of stars can't be beat. Recommended--I call it the best bang-for-the-buck hike in north Georgia. Here is a link to a good description of Wildcat Mtn: http://www.summitpost.org/wildcat-mountain/720538

Huntmog
04-23-2017, 08:08
I just went through Three Ridges and thought that Reed's Gap to Harper's Creek shelter might be a good one for me and my two small kids. Harper's Creek looks pretty good for playing in. I think it's only a mile or two from parking at Reed's Gap to the shelter. No views, but you get a creek with little waterfalls.

I believe you mean Maupin. That's the first one from Reeds and Harper's is the next. Harper's requires going up and over 3 Ridges....then back out the next day.

I took my almost 7 year old from Reeds to Maupin this January. My biggest takeaways: dad's are always overconfident!!! It was in the 50s so I thought we could get out before Spring. I quickly had his small pack (with only his sleeping bag) On my chest.

Rmcpeak
04-23-2017, 08:10
Yes, Maupin. You are right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glenlawson
04-23-2017, 14:41
I'll always pitch Three Forks to Springer and back. It's about an 8.5 mile loop. You can go there by the AT and return by the Benton Mackaye trail. Three Forks has a great creek for camping by on the first night or last night depending on your travel plans.

http://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking-trails/hiking-the-appalachian-trail-three-forks-to-springer-mountain/